What gearing - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I'm debating whether to get a 'fun' bike with a flip flop rear hub to enjoy when I retire in a couple of years or so, but haven't rode single speed for may a year; said previous bikes being general purpose rather than sporty. I'm now 67 and with my knees being a bit worn :whistle:, am riding lower gear ratios than in the past. Any recommendations as to suitable gearing for proposed chromoly framed bike please - ? :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wouldn't bother! What might have been 'fun' when you were younger will be pointless and frankly quite stupid now you are older with more sense. Let the past lie and keep the pleasant memories as they are. :okay:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I wouldn't bother! What might have been 'fun' when you were younger will be pointless and frankly quite stupid now you are older with more sense. Let the past lie and keep the pleasant memories as they are. :okay:

I'm 65 and 3/4 and thoroughly enjoy riding singlespeed! Not so far as I might have done 40 years ago, but it's still a great way to get around.

Go for it, I say.

Sharky

Guru
Go for it. I am 70 and my SS is one of my favourite rides. Choose a gear that will get you up the steepest hill on your normal routes and be happy to walk if too steep. Suggest starting with a 68" gear and have the next larger/smaller sprocket in your tool box as contingency.

Strain on your knees is unlikely. Uphill will hurt a bit, but you soon come to a flat or descent and you will be twiddling. More likely to strain your knees using gears as it is easy to ride too high a gear for too long.

Fixed or SS very much depends on the terrain. If hilly, a fixed is a real strain on the descents.
Good luck

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A strange post by he of Skol! :whistle:

I am just shy of 65 and really like my singlespeed bike. It has a 72" gear and I can get up long stretches at 4-5% gradient, 200 m at 10%, and short slogs at 12-13%.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You can always just try it out and see what suits. Just pick a gear and don't change for the whole ride.
That's what I did to pick my gear. I chose one that didn't have me spinning like crazy just to go at a comfortable speed on the flat. I struggle going up any significant hill but I avoid most of them - I have a bike with a triple chainset and a biggish cassette for those.

12boy

Guru
I used to think 80 gear inches was minimum. A few years ago I dropped down to 72.5 and it is nice, especially with hills...and I mean modest hills and of course headwinds. Or both. But I use easy rolling tires. The 72.5 with studded snows is a lot more work.
The joy of one speed, fixed or SS is its simplicity. Hop on and pedal. If there is a hill or headwind go slower or stand up to pedal. I've read that the direct drive aspect of having no chain tensioner is more efficient and it seems that way to me. I quit riding fixed because I am naturaly most comfortable at 60-70 rpm and going down hills at 140 rpm isn't comfortable for me, but a fixed gear bike seems much better sensiing traction loss than about anvthing else I've r idden.

Top Bottom