what happened to the cycling proficiency test?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_bing

Über Member
as all this 'war between motorists and cyclists' is in the news it got me thinking.

I remember it happening in my primary school for kids who were about 11. but by the time i reached that age, it wasn't running. (i'm 31 now, so it was a while ago...)

I, like many others on here, am a cyclist and a motorist (petrolhead, really) and i think it'd be a good idea if it was reintroduced.

was it ever cancelled? or was my school just a rubbish school? is it still going?

as all this 'war between motorists and cyclists' is in the news it got me thinking.

I remember it happening in my primary school for kids who were about 11. but by the time i reached that age, it wasn't running. (i'm 31 now, so it was a while ago...)

I, like many others on here, am a cyclist and a motorist (petrolhead, really) and i think it'd be a good idea if it was reintroduced.

was it ever cancelled? or was my school just a rubbish school? is it still going?

Dunno. I did it when I was a kid. Still got the badge!

snorri

Legendary Member
what happened to the cycling proficiency test? is it still going?

Dunno, but cycling proficiency for children was unlikely to include training for the more technical situations adult cyclists find themselves in nowadays..
Adult cycle training is available, and probably more readily available than it ever has been:smile:

DanH

I've often wondered the same thing.
At primary school I was jealous of the years above me that got to do it. Eagerly awaited my turn, only for it to be cancelled when we reached that age. (I'm 31 too). Went to school up North, so clearly not just something in your area.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Its still going but called Bikeability now

I still have my proficiency badge and certificate too. Took mine in 3rd year Junior school (so around 79). My nephews who went through the same schools didn't - so it had been stopped before 95 ish.

Remember my course being run by a local road safety officer. All the bikes were checked over and you were taught how to stop, set off, signal, when to look and how to change road position. Also some basic roads rules like stopping at red lights (light blue touch paper!). Was handy at the time as I went everywhere on the bike at that age. It also seemed like some unwritten rule that once you'd passed the test you were able to "ride on the road" like a grownup!!

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I did a level 1 Bikeability at primary school and then a level 2 at high school.
Level 1 taught me the basics of getting on and off the bike and how to take turns effectively. We also did a little bit of road training but nothing specific.
Level 2 was much more intense. I was in a group of about 15 kids and we learnt how to manouvre minor junctions (where to position the bike and when to indicate). We did a little bit of major junctions and did a mini roundabout. It was an awful long time ago but I still remember it now.

TBH I was able to learn the basics with Bikeability but most of my knowledge has come from actually cycling on the roads on my own and learning from experience. Since coming on CC, I have also learnt a few more things and are currently perfecting my riding style (cycling more away from the gutter and giving more clear signals).

Since starting driving tuition, I am now learning what it is like from a drivers perspective and things that you have to be aware of. I have overtaken two cyclists during my tuition (with my parents) and both times I went right onto the other side of the road and gave them plenty of room (which I was quite proud of).

I would like to see more Bikeability in schools though (teaching up to level 3).

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Don't need them nowadays - the only 'driving' todays children are allowed to do is on the computor !!!! Mummys little darlings are carefully wrapped on cotton wool !

OP
OP
the_bing

the_bing

Über Member
i always wanted to ride my Raleigh Team Burner into school to show off; i never got the chance (then swapped it for a Gameboy= mucho regreto).

I had to learn my road skills through common sense. Being a car driver helped too.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
i always wanted to ride my Raleigh Team Burner into school to show off

I lived your dream! Nearly...

I did it one of these and kept being told off to stop doing wheelies and stoppies. Still got the badge :smile:

84_04%20Super%20Burner.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Cycling Proficiency carried on for a few more years in the People's Republic. I did mine in 1994 (now 30). I remember I had a BMX (when the trend at the time was for mountain bikes) and was the only one doing the course on a singlespeed, which as our school was built on the side of an old Motte and Baily castle was not the most sensible of bikes to use :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I did cycling proficiency .... in the playground back about 1979 ish - I still have my badge!.

All my kids have done Bikeability Level 2, and one has done Level 3 at secondary school and in comparison to what I did it is miles better. In fact a friend's child is doing it at the moment ... last lesson tomorrow, I was talking to him about it today when I called round their house, he is really enjoying it.

Top Bottom