What happens when a cyclist breaks the speed limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Near here there is a long steep hill with a speed camera at the bottom. This is just after a bend where 30mph begins.

Motorists are regularly caught, but cyclists have no trouble going past at over 30mph.
ACPO are supposed to adhere to the 10% plus 2mph rule, but there are so many bent coppers out there that nobody really knows what is going on.
So if, as is quite feasible, a cyclist gets caught what action will be taken against him? Identification is a problem, but the local club set out to get the camera flashing and do it wearing club kit.

Points can't be added to non existent licences. What can our Police State do beyond endorsing your pump?

Anyone know how this operates in practice? (I not saying that I got the camera flashing this morning 🙄)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Speed limits for motor vehicles don't apply to cyclists, but we can be charged with "cycling furiously".

C R

Guru
I think that points would be added to your driving licence if you have one, if the offence was one that incurred points. @Drago may be able to confirm either way.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's no speed limit for cycles.

I was once stopped once by a copper. He asked if I new what speed I was doing (down a hill), I said yes. He said that it was above the speed limit for the road (I had triggered a speed notice light). I said I know but speed limits don't apply to cyclists. It threw him off guard a little and said he knew that and just wanted to ask me to take it a bit easier down the hill in future.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think that points would be added to your driving licence if you have one, if the offence was one that incurred points. @Drago may be able to confirm either way.
Not so, it isn't a motoring offence.

As regards getting done for speeding on a bike, I'd refuse the fixed penalty and go to court having tipped off the local paper beforehand.

Then I'd keep the cutting and spend the rest of my life boasting about it.

One vote here for yes: a driving licence can have endorsements placed on it without you driving a car! I can't remember the limitations of this option, I think I recall drunken cycling being in the case history?

But another vote for speed limits not applying to cycles, so no offence for simply triggering the speed camera.

(You can also get points on a provisional licence!)

Reactions: C R

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
One vote here for yes: a driving licence can have endorsements placed on it without you driving a car! I can't remember the limitations of this option, I think I recall drunken cycling being in the case history?
You can get a driving licence penalty for causing injury by wanton or furious cycling, or causing the same by racing on the public road.

For breaking the speed limit alone, you can't.

Boopop

Guru
Reminded me of the time I rode down Kop Hill near Princes Risborough. I didn't have the spedometer up on my Garmin and just we as fast as felt safe.

1621351674328.png

Suffice to say, what has felt safe down that descent since then has always been a bit slower! :laugh:

I have no idea if a cyclist has ever been prosecuted for furious cycling via a speed camera. Clearly they'd have difficulty identifying the rider, and chances are the only person they'd be endangering is themselves if they crashed.

You can get a driving licence penalty for causing injury by wanton or furious cycling, or causing the same by racing on the public road.

For breaking the speed limit alone, you can't.
How about a skateboard then or a shopping trolley?

Is it only something with 2 wheels?

How about a Horse?

For speed limits to apply to bikes then surely there would first need to be a legal requirement for bikes to be fitted with a speedometer.
Good call, even the most basic requirements for motorcycles are a speedo, stoplight and a horn.

You would think a pushbike would need a speedo at least?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom