What happens when a cyclist breaks the speed limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
but we can be charged with "cycling furiously".

My understanding is that is not a substantive charge by itself, the legislation specifies that bodily harm must result to complete the offence. (And it's furious driving, not cycling.)

Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving.
Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Speed limit = irrelevant unless furious cycling.

Son no. 2 likes setting speed cameras off.

Me? I got pulled when over-taking a police car in a 30 and had set off a camera going from Headingley into Leeds. I needed to get from a graduation into a lecture and was too tight for time - and yes, I was wearing a gown and had the hat tucked into it.

Apparently they knew I couldn't be done but wanted a "discussion".

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Be interesting to see if I got done driving up the M6 the wrong way, doubt I'd get very far mind.
In summer 2019 I was almost wiped out by a guy in the outside lane of the M6 travelling the wrong way. He had come down from Glasgow and was being chasd by Polis. Still gives me shivers thinking about it. I rang 999 immediately and the guy on the other end didn't believe me and told me to stop wasting Police time. I jest not.

In summer 2019 I was almost wiped out by a guy in the outside lane of the M6 travelling the wrong way. He had come down from Glasgow and was being chasd by Polis. Still gives me shivers thinking about it. I rang 999 immediately and the guy on the other end didn't believe me and told me to stop wasting Police time. I jest not.
Bl**dy hell!

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Yeah. He was some sort of druggie in a hot BMW 7 series. All the way down the M6 to Tebay on the wrong side. Polis were on the southbound side with lights and everything. When he got near Borrowdale (the Eastern one) he ran out of petrol. Left the car in the outside lane and hotfooted it down the embankment. Plod took and age to get anywhere near him because they had to go to the next junction, by which time he had long gone.
Really scared the sh1t out of me.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Lucky he wasn't on a bike. Would have been in real trouble then!

classic33

Leg End Member
Reminded me of the time I rode down Kop Hill near Princes Risborough. I didn't have the spedometer up on my Garmin and just we as fast as felt safe.

View attachment 589425

Suffice to say, what has felt safe down that descent since then has always been a bit slower! :laugh:

I have no idea if a cyclist has ever been prosecuted for furious cycling via a speed camera. Clearly they'd have difficulty identifying the rider, and chances are the only person they'd be endangering is themselves if they crashed.
Set the two speed cameras off, 50mph, coming back down the A629 from Ainley Top to Elland*. Me in the nearside lane, police car in the outside lane, keeping pace with me. Leaving when I slowed near the bottom.
On four wheels at the time, but still on a cycle.

*The bit in the middle
M-A.jpg

DRM

Guru
Now that 20mph limits are becoming widespread in towns and cities I suspect a lot more cyclists will break speed limits.
It’s 20mph on the roads round our estate, I can easily do 23/24 mph on bits of it, yet still get overtaken by cars, and managed to trigger the “Bend-Slow” sign at Newmillerdam heading back to Wakefield from Barnsley, that’s a 30 mph road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom