What has priced itself out of YOUR budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A bar of soap lasts me ages, so I go for Dove or something. Don't get me started on the ladies of the house that have lots of potions.

I feel the same. I like Dove. No idea what it costs** now but surely we are only talking coppers per week.
**A friend of ours works with and sells natural oils etc........a while ago he gave us 3 bars of quality soap.......just finished the last bar.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not priced itself out of my budget as it's only a packet of biscuits, but it has annoyed me immensely! 🧐 The last time I bought these from Tesco (about 3 weeks ago) they were £1.30. They've been that price for as long as I can remember, but today I looked to see they are now a whopping £1.90! By my reckoning this is a price increase of 46.15 percent! How the feck can they justify this way above the rate of inflation price rise?!🤔🧐

nc_ohc=7F3Tc5EnLzsAX9w7e0Q&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Not priced itself out of my budget as it's only a packet of biscuits, but it has annoyed me immensely! 🧐 The last time I bought these from Tesco (about 3 weeks ago) they were £1.30. They've been that price for as long as I can remember, but today I looked to see they are now a whopping £1.90! By my reckoning this is a price increase of 46.15 percent! How the feck can they justify this way above the rate of inflation price rise?!🤔🧐

View attachment 720888

So calculate inflation since "as long as you can remember"!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So calculate inflation since "as long as you can remember"!

4.2 percent, according to.....

In the year to December 2023 the annual inflation rate was 4.2%, unchanged from November. You can explore how the prices of over 450 items in the inflation basket have increased over the past year with our shopping prices comparison tool.

Either Border who make the biscuits, or Tesco who sell them, or maybe both of them are hyping up prices, disguised as cost of living/inflation necessary increases.

4.2 percent, according to.....

In the year to December 2023 the annual inflation rate was 4.2%, unchanged from November. You can explore how the prices of over 450 items in the inflation basket have increased over the past year with our shopping prices comparison tool.

Either Border who make the biscuits, or Tesco who sell them, or maybe both of them are hyping up prices, disguised as cost of living/inflation necessary increases.

So you can’t remember longer than a year?

What is your point?

They've been that price for as long as I can remember,
Yet you quote the inflation rate for the year to December 2023. If, for example, you can remember them being £1.30 for the last 4 years then you should calculate the inflation over the whole period

Chris S

Legendary Member
Before lockdown I'd typically pay £5 or £6 to see a band at a pub. It's now £10 to £12 and sometimes even more. I used to take a chance on bands that I'd never seen before when it was only a fiver in. I now only go and see bands if I know what they're like.

It's the same with beer. When it was less than £4 a pint I'd buy two pints in an evening. Now that it's nearly £6 a pint I make it last twice as long.

Alex321

Veteran
I didn't say I could remember them being £1.30 for the last 4 years.

No, you said they had been that price "for as long as you can remember".

So they have held the price for that long (however long you can remember), before (finally) putting it up. And you need to work out what inflation would have been over the period "as long as you can remember", not just over the last year.

Gunk

Guru

View attachment 720888

I like those

Top Bottom