What has priced itself out of YOUR budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Speaking of cheese, I always used to pay £1.80 around a year ago for Castillo Bries from Tesco, now it's £2.80.

Alex321

Veteran
My local chippy has changed hands and...wow...chips from my 1970's childhood actually made from spuds and not those stringy oil-laden affairs that taste so bland. OK, they don't fry 'em in coronary-inducing full animal fat, but they're great and an improvement over others. The portions are waistline-busting as well.

Ours not only makes them from potatoes, they actually tell you which species of potato they are currently using - they also tell you which trawler the fish came from (normally from the Barent's Sea).

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
£12.45 for 2 people (or £16.95 with the bites) for Fish, Chips and Mushy seems ok. £12.70 for the same for 1 is not!

At my local chippy I can get a large Haddock and regular chips, which in reality are a large portion for £13.50. This is by far enough for myself and MrsP.
I haven't given up on everything due to the rampant inflation over the last few years, but I have noticed how much I get , or don't get for the price I'm paying.

Slick

Guru
At my local chippy I can get a large Haddock and regular chips, which in reality are a large portion for £13.50. This is by far enough for myself and MrsP.
I haven't given up on everything due to the rampant inflation over the last few years, but I have noticed how much I get , or don't get for the price I'm paying.

You are comparing apples and pears though.

Most are talking about cod, which is a bottom feeder and may even be coley, which is all but tasteless.

Your haddock is expensive, especially when you consider the guys that caught it probably didn't get much more for a box of the stuff, but its still worth paying a but extra for. :okay:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My sommelier tells me the Lafite '82 is now out of reach :angry:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
You are comparing apples and pears though.

Most are talking about cod, which is a bottom feeder and may even be coley, which is all but tasteless.

Your haddock is expensive, especially when you consider the guys that caught it probably didn't get much more for a box of the stuff, but its still worth paying a but extra for. :okay:

Yup. Cod is a dirty fish. If you hold up the skin from a fresh one you can often see the worms. Fishermen don't eat Cod, they eat Haddock.

Top Bottom