What has priced itself out of YOUR budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
On the subject of Mushy Peas, there is the real (Northern) thing: Marrowfat Peas, soaked overnight in bicarb and cooked till they fall apart.
Then there is the abomination that is Mashed Garden Peas.

tyred

Legendary Member
On the subject of Mushy Peas, there is the real (Northern) thing: Marrowfat Peas, soaked overnight in bicarb and cooked till they fall apart.
Then there is the abomination that is Mashed Garden Peas.

All peas are an abomination. xx(
Best used for pea-shooters.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sorry Accy, nothing more than tartar sauce on my fish supper. :becool:

Tartar sauce is ok, but not really my thing as it's too 'vinergary' for me due to those capers. I'd say it's more for 'posh' fish & chips, served in a restaurant or a pub along with a quarter of a lemon with a bit of parsley on top of the fish, rather than chippy fish & chips. Sometimes that 'posh' fish & chips is plaice or Dover sole, not cod or haddock. To make it even 'posher' they sometimes use crinkly chips. I haven't seen crinkly chips in years. A throwback to the 1970's/80's I'd say. I've always liked peas since my great grandma showed me how to steep dried peas as a child in the 1960's. Garden peas (more for posh fish & chips i'd say) are my least favourite, mushy nice, but my favourite peas are processed peas, the least healthy of the 'pea family'. I remember going on holiday to Scarborough in 1990 when me and the former Mrs Accy were courting (not many call it that these days). We'd have fish & chips with these fluorescent green processed peas every night for our supper. They were so full of colour and chemicals they glowed in the dark!! :okay:

Gillstay

Über Member
View attachment 721017

Funnily enough, I had a brilliant fish supper from the Carron in Stonehaven today (where the deep fried Mars bar thing started).
£9.20 of loveliness.

That's a good fish and chip shop,............ in the summer ! ^_^

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Mushy peas are vile things and have no place with fish and chips. :okay:

Heathen! 😂

I'm surprised a fellow Jock doesn't agree with me, as I thought it was a north south thing.

I thought that too. Disgusting things to have polluting a good fish supper! A very rare sight in Scotland, thankfully.

Er, what are those green things I see??!!! :rolleyes: :whistle: Granted it's only a small portion. I'd have a whole tin of the things!:hungry: Being like you Jocks, tight careful with one's pennies :whistle: I'd buy the fish and chips, but not the peas as I'd open a tin when I got home. 75p for a not so big chip shop portion, or 29p for a whole tin from home, it's a no brainer, as they say!:okay:

nc_ohc=FC7TW8XAiF8AX8I6HoA&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Taken off a Facebook link, in I think it was a Rangers supporters bar in Benidorm, so I suppose the excuse is it's not back home ( how could it be, there's sunshine! ;) ). Notice it's washed down with the obligatory pint of Tennents lager, which makes me think the pic' could've been taken about 9am, for all we know!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Er, what are those green things I see??!!! :rolleyes: :whistle: Granted it's only a small portion. I'd have a whole tin of the things!:hungry: Being like you Jocks, tight careful with one's pennies :whistle: I'd buy the fish and chips, but not the peas as I'd open a tin when I got home. 75p for a not so big chip shop portion, or 29p for a whole tin from home, it's a no brainer, as they say!:okay:

View attachment 721881

Taken off a Facebook link, in I think it was a Rangers supporters bar in Benidorm, so I suppose the excuse is it's not back home ( how could it be, there's sunshine! ;) ). Notice it's washed down with the obligatory pint of Tennents lager, which makes me think the pic' could've been taken about 9am, for all we know!! :rolleyes:

Ah, I see you have found my holiday snaps from last year. :okay:

Very astute of you to notice the time, you are quite right of course as no self-respecting Jock goes on to the whisky until after 9am. :shy:

One point of order though. You will notice the pint is well on its way to being tanned, (probably a term for the colloquialisms thread) whilst the mushy peas remain untouched. When in Rome and all that, as we wouldn't insult the locals by trashing their food choices, I mean, we're not animals. :okay:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member

View attachment 721881

There are several clues in that pic as to the nationality and gender of the person eating that poor offering......
1. Lager drinker (must be a girlie then).
2. Green things on plate x 2.
3. Tartare sauce.
4. Unless it's the lighting, that shirt is bulging in places where no man should be bulging.

Given that there is sizeable support for RFC south of the border (in small, declining northern* market towns, for example), I am proposing that this is not representative of a proper Scottish fish supper consumer. More likely one of you lot seeking out some culture in a foreign land. Probably wanted paella but couldn't pronounce it.

*Claim to be northern as they aspire to be Scottish, but in reality you are down south.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

View attachment 721881

Chelsea fan imo

Top Bottom