what have people flown on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

They do seem a bit mental. I heard about the crash but didn't get much detail - glad he survived.

Those pic's were from Waddington Airshow in 2006, quite memorable as it was a boiling hot day and they put on a good show. They also managed to do a heart shape in the sky - for a GF of a pilot I think, quite impressive I thought.

longers said:
What's an "incident" Smiffy? Sounds ominous.

Anything from sliding off the runway into the sea, tyres bursting, bird strikes, engine failure, engine fires - only cause to use the parachute the once - over 22000 hours flying these things happen - worked thank god

terry huckle

My list, in roughly chronological order

de Havilland Heron (first ever flight)
Britten Norman Islander
Piper Tripacer
Piper Colt
Cessna 150
Cessna172
Invicta/Glos Airtourer
Lakes Buccaneer amphibian
Vickers Viscount
Trident
Ba11
DC9
MD80/82
Shorts 330
Shorts 360
B737
B757
A320
A330
B767
B777
de Havilland (Canada) Turbo Otter floatplane
B747
Gazelle (helicopter)

Aircraft I`ve flown myself

Piper Cherokee 140
Piper Cherokee 180
Cessna/Reims Aerobat
de Havilland Dove (right hand seat only, sadly)

The latter is now in a museum BTW (East Fortune).

rockaperoon

chipmunk
nimrod
hercules c130
vc10 +vc10 tanker
tristar
ch53 german
chinook
wessex
puma
gazelle

1st 2 air experience flights whilst in atc a loong time ago
all the rest whilst in the raf with the raf regiment

longers

Legendary Member
Red Arrows.

zoc75k.jpg

Yenners and a Vulcan.

2whjy48.jpg

from Southport Airshow.

longers

Legendary Member
psmiffy said:
Anything from sliding off the runway into the sea, tyres bursting, bird strikes, engine failure, engine fires - only cause to use the parachute the once - over 22000 hours flying these things happen - worked thank god

It'd take me a few goes before I got blase but 22000 hours is a lot of flying.

longers said:
It'd take me a few goes before I got blase but 22000 hours is a lot of flying.

Dad was in the RAF from 18 to 62 - he flew in Mosquitoes, Lancs, Lincolns, shacks, through Camberra's to the occasional fast jet and Helicopters - he only had one rule - and that was never to fly in anything that had only one engine

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been in the usual commercial airliners, but none stick out as a great experience, especially with the airport check-in/security/RyanAir crap that prevails increasingly.

I once went on a DeHavilland Beaver seaplane from Vancouver to one of the Gulf Islands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Seair_Seaplanes.jpg

That was fun.

I went up as a passenger in a dual-control Tiger Moth bi-plane with an open cockpit. The passenger sits in front of the pilot, and the side of the cockpit is at waist level....a bit scary for one who hates heights. I was allowed to take the controls for a few minutes and discovered that the gentle turns made me distinctly queasy, even though I do not usually suffer from motion sickness.

The fleet of retiring Concordes came over my office on their last flights, on the way to Heathrow, a few years ago. A hundred people stood in the car park to see them pass. It was quite an emotional moment. They were created at a time of optimism about technology, and that kind of hope seemed to have disappeared. It was a fabulous sight, and impressively noisy.

OMG! I flew home from Bulgaria to Cardiff in one of those :biggrin: (TU-154)

It was a bit ropey, some friends of our had warned us to lookout for the bullet holes in the wings :sun:

simonali

Guru
First plane I went on was an Air France Caravelle that had pink seats.

It could've been Concorde, but I was only small and too frightened to go! Yes, I am still kicking myself (doubly so, in fact, because my wife used to work for BA and we could've done a NY trip on it for around 600 quid). D'OH!!

Top Bottom