What have they done to....... Ambrosia rice (or other food products).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
You missed out "moaning about the weather"
:biggrin:

x

Goes without saying. And yesterday I COULD have had a moan about the weather. Despite the forecast 2 days prior of a weekend filled with sunshine, light breeze, and NO rain.... it peed down from sunrise until at least 2pm.... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Since I learned what going into these foods I stay well clear. Can’t beat a little homemade cooking or baking.that way you have a better idea of what’s in it.
This morning was some two brown loafs and two white. Both types were full of flavour 😋 and no nasty stuff

I sometimes bake my own bread (cheating with a bread maker though). Problem is, it tastes so good that I go through a full loaf, on my own, in 24 hours. I convinced myself I have to do that, as without the nasty preservatives it's going to have a short shelf life. In the past I discovered it goes a bit stale after 2 days, but is still good for toasting until about the 4 or 5 day mark. Maybe even beyond that, but I wouldn't know as no loaf has survived that long....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mmmmm...I quite liked Ambrosia Rice Pudding last time I tried it...and that was a very long time ago!

@Brandane - it's not impossible you got a duff batch as @gbb says, but then quality control in canned-goods is pretty flipping high, so it's unlikely (but could be overcooked), but worth trying another can from a different batch to see if the change is permanent.

It's is possible that the product has been modified over time either to remove an additive or more likely having to use cheaper ingredients as the cost of many raw materials have risen tremendously over the past years. While we think that food manufacturers make a whopping margin, that's far from the case. So maybe a slightly cheaper rice supplier, milk supplier, little less of this and more of that to shave a few pence of the price. Many products are very price sensitive and these adjustments are made to offset increasing RM costs to hit a price point.
Shrinkflation is the other side of the same coin.
It's a difficult balancing act as profit is made by high volume sales rather than high sales margin....

Slick

Guru
Goes without saying. And yesterday I COULD have had a moan about the weather. Despite the forecast 2 days prior of a weekend filled with sunshine, light breeze, and NO rain.... it peed down from sunrise until at least 2pm.... :rolleyes:

I was on Milport all day yesterday and it was a cracking day. I should have taken a picture of Largs bathed in sunshine for you. ☀️

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was on Milport all day yesterday and it was a cracking day. I should have taken a picture of Largs bathed in sunshine for you. ☀️

It was a great day yesterday (Sunday was the wet day); I went for a wee ride on the motorised bike and ended up in Balmaha.
Nice today as well; I took the train to work in Kilbirnie, and since I finish at 1230 I took the e-bike with me and cycled home. Via Dalry, Fairlie Moor road, then Fairlie and Largs. Breathing issues seem more bearable if I take it easy and make full use of power assist when needed!

Slick

Guru
It was a great day yesterday (Sunday was the wet day); I went for a wee ride on the motorised bike and ended up in Balmaha.
Nice today as well; I took the train to work in Kilbirnie, and since I finish at 1230 I took the e-bike with me and cycled home. Via Dalry, Fairlie Moor road, then Fairlie and Largs. Breathing issues seem more bearable if I take it easy and make full use of power assist when needed!

Cracking part of the world when the sun is shining. :thumbsup:

Slick

Guru

Also, a wee ride to Balmaha is quite impressive. How did you end up there?

Is this not just a thread about an old person who tried something he'd not eaten for a long time and hated it only to blame the way "they've ruined it" not the fact it was always tasting that bad? It's a kind of rose tinted view of what has always been regurgitated dog vomit but it's easier to blame the modern world and not your memory?

No? My mistake! It just sounded like that. BTW you should try marmite, they've ruined that too, or has it always been that nasty?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is this not just a thread about an old person who tried something he'd not eaten for a long time and hated it only to blame the way "they've ruined it" not the fact it was always tasting that bad?

1. I'm not "an old person" :rolleyes:, not by the general standards of this forum anyway :laugh:. A mere 61....

2. It's not been that long since I last ate Ambrosia. Certainly within the last year. And no, it never tasted that bad. In fact it used to taste quite nice. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it again :wacko:.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Also, a wee ride to Balmaha is quite impressive. How did you end up there?

The ride to Balmaha was on the motorbike! I had been at J&S bike clothing shop in Great Western Road. Then headed up Maryhill Road and kept heading north! Turned west on the A811 towards Balloch but diverted to Balmaha for lunch.... Then home via Balloch, Erskine Bridge, airport, Lochwinnoch etc..

Windle

Über Member
I remember seeing one of those 'how it's made' or 'the factory' type programmes with Dom what'shisname years ago about Ambrosia Rice Pudding and was surprised to see it was actually cooked in the tin, with dry rice put in with the milk and then heated up, like a pressure cooker I suppose.
But talking of things not tasting the same ~ Theakston's Old Peculier, the bottled version doesn't seem the same and hasn't for years. OK I'm comparing it to when I originally tried it back as a student at Teesside Poly-versity in about 1986. One of our group of mates, a cracking chap from Derry in norn iron had discovered packs of three third pint bottles in Gateway in the Hill St. centre ~ epic stuff! But proper heavy duty ale compared to what we were usually drinking. Maybe it's just because tastes change with age but the stuff now just isn't the same. (Still very drinkable though, especially on draught) 🍻.

Top Bottom