What have you beaten between traffic lights??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
It's an interesting question, especially in view of the number of pointlessly expensive cars I see being driven around London at the weekend. Surely if you can afford to drop that much on a car, you also have a cottage somewhere at the other end of a nice fun twisty road (Oxfordshire, probably) to drive down to every weekend?
Most of those cars are too big to be fun on back roads. One of the big factors I went for an Exige over various other cars in my price range is size. The Exige is small, this means it fits down a lot of back roads comfortability where bigger cars don't.

It's all about what you can beat on the open road....

Like GrasB, I've cycle passed pretty much every vehicle you can (gotta love cycling through mayfair). Over 7 or so miles I've beaten motorbikes in London.

Nice riding, wish I could be as fast!

Quick question - looking at your vid, you look down quite often, can I ask why?

Linford

Most of those cars are too big to be fun on back roads. One of the big factors I went for an Exige over various other cars in my price range is size. The Exige is small, this means it fits down a lot of back roads comfortability where bigger cars don't.

You get a lot more space on the back roads on a motorbike, and that is why they are much quicker to pick up on the exit of a corner due to being able to straightline it better . The risk of being unsettled by a pothole or surface contamination is a lot higher on a motorbike though and you can't go into a corner on the brakes without risk of the front end washing out.. I did have an Ariel Atom tail me when I had the long term loan of a gixxer thou a few years ago, but didn't try and pass me...not that I was doing warp speed or anything though.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Most of those cars are too big to be fun on back roads.
Well, they're almost certainly not fun in central London traffic queues either - at least, I can't see why they would be and the people sitting in them don't look like they're enjoying themselves. So what are they good for? Inquiring minds want to know

Linford

Well, they're almost certainly not fun in central London traffic queues either - at least, I can't see why they would be and the people sitting in them don't look like they're enjoying themselves. So what are they good for? Inquiring minds want to know

Civilised transport which shields its occupants from the elements on inclement days perhaps :whistle:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Dan B, I do not think you get the point of living in London.
I entirely get the point of living in London, I love it here. It's the people who buy expensive performance cars and drive them in the UK's most congested city at average speeds of ~ 12 mph who I think don't get the point of living in London

Linford

Any car in which the roof doesn't leak will achieve that objective, and most of them cost much less than a Veyron

If I had a Veyron, I'd want to drive it everywhere....even at 12mph.

That Gixxer thou I had the use of had a top speed of 180, with 0-100-0mph of 10.5 seconds.
A veyron does the same in 9.5, and an Audi RS4 does it in 15.5 seconds to give a measure of comparison with a 'normal car'
Doesn't mean I'd not be happy driving either in slow traffic either way, because they are probably commuting a few miles each day on uncongested roads as well.
what you migh consider is that your commute may only be 5 or 7 miles each way, but theirs may be 30 or 40, and much of that outside the capital.

GrasB

Veteran
Civilised transport which shields its occupants from the elements on inclement days perhaps :whistle:
This & a public show of wealth. Cars are one way people use to show off about their wealth, or abundance of plenty, on a large scale. People say it's obscene but really it's been going on since the dawn of time type thing. It's just in the past it wasn't cars but things like suits of armour...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I assume by the sparse traffic that you were running late for work, that day Gaz? I won't mention the prevailing tailwnd and slight downhill on that sretch :whistle:
One of the nicer bits of CS7 to ride along, I must say :smile:

Reactions: 4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I assume by the sparse traffic that you were running late for work, that day Gaz? I won't mention the prevailing tailwnd and slight downhill on that sretch :whistle:

Must of been one of those "alarm clock issues" mornings that he had ^_^

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Nice riding, wish I could be as fast!

Quick question - looking at your vid, you look down quite often, can I ask why?
Looking at my awesome legs ;)
I'm always late for work ;)
It was a normal run for me. around 8.20am at that point.
Downhill. LOL! I would hardly class the other way as uphill so lets not class this way as down :P

Top Bottom