What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Picked up a little used Sram Apex 11 rear derailleur on Ebay last night.

Sixmile

Veteran
Zarges aluminium trunk.

I'd been looking one of these last year for my Carry Freedom trailer but couldn't get anything local and used ones were still too pricey. I wasn't even looking last week and this appeared locally on Gumtree for £50 (£600+ new) so got my bro in law to lift it.

IMG_20220502_184717059.jpg

8mph

Veteran
Just bought these 3 x 8 Sora shifters for £26.95 on eBay ready to put on my new build once the wheels arrive.

Screenshot_20220503_202026_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

I'm really pleased that I can make the conversion from flat bars at such little cost and before going down a rabbit hole tying to bodge bar ends and mtb shifters together. The bars and tape are an added bonus and should look good with the green cables and pedals I've fitted.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
The trainer's I've been riding in have got towards the end of thier appropriate for work life span I decided to try something different from decathlon, futsal shoes.

Nice stiff sole and garden tests show a decent level of grip in the dry. Let's see how tomorrow goes.
IMG_20220503_210357.jpg

IMG_20220503_210408.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
First commute done and about 25 of the 30km done today where in the rain. Really pleased with the grip and they where more waterproof than my old trainers, but clearly not waterproof.

Let's see how well they last, @ £15 I'm am not expecting years and years out of them, but my experience of decathlon footwear makes me hope for a couple.
The trainer's I've been riding in have got towards the end of thier appropriate for work life span I decided to try something different from decathlon, futsal shoes.

Nice stiff sole and garden tests show a decent level of grip in the dry. Let's see how tomorrow goes.
View attachment 643027

View attachment 643028

8mph

Veteran
Today I've bought a bike for the bike, found at the dump, cost £5.00

Usable parts are...

Deore Rear Mech

Mavic A319 rear wheel

8 speed cassette and chain

Ergonomic grips

Shimano v brakes

Weinmann xr18 front wheel

8 x 3 shifters (Deore?)

Tortek rack

Specialized infinity tyres

Really pleased as I can now upgrade the 7 speed screw on freewheel and heavy Matrix 550 wheels on my new build and generally get the drive chain and transmission running in advance of the wheels (expected early June)

IMG_20220504_175852.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
New flat pedals for the holdsworth, fitted them on the bike already to force me into repainting the fork before my Manchester to Blackpool ride.

IMG_20220506_104738.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
4 pairs of Kevlar disk brake pads for the bike that I keep at my sister's house in Devon. I do lots of steep descents round there and don't fancy having my brakes pack up mid-ride. (I have had that happen by neglecting timely brake pad replacement in the past!)

They haven't arrived yet, but they are in the post and I will be taking them down with me on my next visit, later this month.

I haven't used Kevlar pads before but they got a GOOD REVIEW.

8mph

Veteran
Got another oex phoxx1 tent for Scotland, I tumble dried the last one at Edinburgh youth hostel and managed to cook the pvc floor. Great little tent for the money. People are paying more on ebay for second hand ones than they cost at go outdoors 😂

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I didnt buy it today but last Friday. Got myself a park tool chain wear tool & a set of Master Link pliers.

Trying to be a little more independent and pro-active when it comes to doing more of my own bike servicing - Gear indexing is still a very much no go area for me :blush:

Work stand and a decent book helped my understand indexing much more. The Park tools and Zinn books are very good, if your not running the latest gear then you can pickup an older edition very cheap.

Top Bottom