What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

Bought a nice lightweight titanium bike then worried about it getting stolen.

So purchased insurance then worried I hadn't read the small print.

So read the small print and found out the lock I had (SS bronze) was not enough and had to get a SS Diamond

So bought a SS Diamond of t'internet and it arrived. All 2 kg of it. So my nice light Ti bike has a bl**dy anchor now.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 10

paulicc

Spa Cycles RD2 TA chainset. Needed a 54T for my Moulton TSR with Alfine hub and though that size wasn’t listed on the Spa website they had one in stock - always worth asking. Had to switch from black to silver, but that should suffer less from paint rub from winter overshoes anyway, and it does look very smart and shiny. Ordered yesterday and it was assembled and delivered today - great service. Very reasonable £68. One reason for changing was that the (quite expensive?) Middleburn cranks that came with the bike have some weird corrosion ‘growing’ out of the crank where it bolts on (second photo) - haven’t seen that before.

Attachments

• CB44F66D-9B8C-4F89-A2B4-1F6A1E058D5A.jpeg
    CB44F66D-9B8C-4F89-A2B4-1F6A1E058D5A.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 16
  • FC66CE8C-00F7-414F-8391-FA4B26AED50A.jpeg
    FC66CE8C-00F7-414F-8391-FA4B26AED50A.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 16

geocycle

Legendary Member
Bought a nice lightweight titanium bike then worried about it getting stolen.

So purchased insurance then worried I hadn't read the small print.

So read the small print and found out the lock I had (SS bronze) was not enough and had to get a SS Diamond

So bought a SS Diamond of t'internet and it arrived. All 2 kg of it. So my nice light Ti bike has a bl**dy anchor now.
Yes that’s a big problem and one I’ve yet to find a solution to. My work bike is probably at most risk and is insured, with a gold secure lock at work. I was going to insure my Ti Audax bike but was put off by the need for carrying a heavy gold lock based on the bikes value. I’m comfortable with the decision as I ride in rural areas and am not away from the bike for more than a cafe stop. But, there is a market for a gold standard lock of a kg or less.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Emanresu and @geocycle - all my bikes are single/double-locked in the bike store.

However, as a further security measure I have an unlocked 'cheap' bike there as well, with the presumption being that most theives are after a quick getaway.

Currently it's the newly-arrived Merida Cyclo-cross, so too nice a 'quick prize' but that's because I don't like having to try and remember which key is needed if I'm in a hurry. Next week it'll be something basic, but traceable, there instead.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I bought a new Suntour 5 speed freewheel for my 1975 Dawes Galaxy. The block on it, albit not totally worn out, has come to the end, it is 25+ old and is 12/24. The new one is 14/28, which will help me up the steep hills around where I live.
How i used to tour around Britain on it now baffles me. Seeing as the Chainrings are 52/42.

razabbs

Couple days ago but I've bought myself a Winter bike. Triban RC120 Disc from Decathlon along with a new Garmin mount, saddle bag, inner tubes, bottle mount, and mudguards to go with it.
I'll need to get some pedals eventually but I'm looking into maybe moving to power meter pedals on my Carbon (summer) bike which would free up a set.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Treated myself to a set of SKS Raceblade Pro XL's - hopefully will keep me dryer when on the CX bike - just got to hope they fit as the CX tyres are 38c. I do have wheels with 28c road tyres as well.

Fredo76

Über Member
s-l1600-3.jpg

A 60 cm butted-531 Libertas mixte frame, to replace a 54 cm Raleigh Super Record.

CharleyFarley

I bought a rear carrier from Walmart, online. The next day an email said it was delivered. The photo allegedly showed the package but it was a closeup and didn't show part of my home where it was left. That's necessary to prove it was delivered. It wasn't delivered. I printed the email and took it to Walmart's customer service. They said I have to contact FedEx. I went to FedEx. They looked the email over and said they need a tracking number. There wasn't one. Walmart sent me another email asking how the delivery was, so I filed a complaint and asked for a tracking number. They apologized for the bad service but didn't take it any further or supply a tracking number. In the meanwhile I went into Walmart and saw three of the carriers on a rack. How do I get a refund when I can't prove it wasn't delivered?

My wife called the Walmart 800 phone number and got on their case. (I can't hear well enough to use a phone.) As a result they sent an email to say a refund has been issued. And another one give me $5 off my next order over $10. So I went online and paid for one, then went there to pick it up. I saved $12 off the posted store price.

Image3.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ergon GP3's - in small as they were the only ones on offer at Wiggle. £31 made them well within daughter's Xmas present budget. They will be going to Santa when delivered. These are for the commute bike as I'm getting numb hands with the lack of positions.

Bristolian

I bought some mud guards online the other day but they didn't arrive until today ... and now they are waiting to be picked up as returns.
Despite the claim that these are "perfect for all road bikes, including those with close clearance frames" they don't fit my rim brake Specialized Allez Sport.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A pair of nice Pirelli Cinturato gravel tyres for the Merida Cyclo-Cross commuter. They're too nice for commuting but we're ex-display and under half price.

Some SwissStop bake pads as the Viner Mitus got a full set yesterday.

And a Campagnolo Gran Sport derailleur for the fake Guerciotti/Raleigh - I'll need some other Gran Sport bits (shifters/crankset) but the aim is to make it more original than the bitsa it is.

Some Boa dials in a bulk sale locally.

Plus a bottle of Interflon lube. Son no. 2 used to be sponsored by them and we're impressed by the product quality. His sponsor supply has now run out though.

A pair of gloves, because it's cold. I seem to wreck gloves fairly quickly but they are second hand and cost only 2,50 € and I paid 0,50 € less because of my staff discount.

Last edited:
Top Bottom