What have you bought that has been a total waste of money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I bought a set from Aldi,
Funny you should say - I also bought a set of 6 from Aldi (or was it Lidl), supposedly cobalt but at £5.99 I thought I'd try. They weren't that good. So I got some Heller ones from Toolstation for £12 thinking they'd be better; when I got home I found both packs were identical!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Got a cycle exerciser as per my physio's instruction - the most basic one, on the basis I don't need programmable electronics, and basic means less to go wrong, right? Wrong. After two or three uses the small spot welds holding the legs to the stand broke and it started wobbling around like me coming back from a dads' night out. Wasn't actually a waste of money, since I got a refund, but what a piece of rubbish. I assume they make money off people who only use it once, or never, or just can't be bothered getting their money back.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Brand new BMW 325i convertible in 1997. I made the mistake of not test driving one first, I knew as soon as I drove it off the forecourt I hated it. I kept it for two months and sold it, lost a bit of money but hey ho.

My first BMW was a 1995 328ic Convertible, it was less than 3 years old and 14k on the clock, I had it for 16 years with 89k on the clock when I sold it. It never gave me any big problems and maintenance was more than reasonable.... in comparison, my wife had a mondeo from 1 year old, a good and reliable car but it needed a new exaust every 2 years and my 328 never needed a new exaust.... the biggest job was replacing the brake pipe system one year before I sold it.

I replaced the 328ic with another convertible a 2000 323i, also 6 cylinder engine but 2.5L instead of 2.8L. I quite liked the car but it was high mileage 108k when I bought it and 123k when I sold it.... the guy I bought it from spent a fortune on maintenance which was a worry for me when I first saw the car mechanical history, but I have to say that his garage took him for a fool.... cause my garage looked after the car for 2 and a bit years and the biggest job they had to do was new disc brakes and everything else was also consumables like tyres, oil changes and air con gas. The interesting thing is the guy who sold it to me, also bought it back from me :smile:

I replaced that with another convertible, a 325i 2006 with only 36k on the clock last November, one previous owner. I drove test the newer models 2011 and 2017 but I wasn't impressed to be honest. I expect to keep this car for many many years to come.... I've had it for 8 months, done 3.5k and yet to visit the mechanic.... so far zero problem. It's a car for leisure and as such it does a very good job.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just ordered some vests off fleabay. A fiver for 2. I hope they're ok and don't shrink or go baggy in the wash. Oh and I hope they get here while we're still having these heat waves. If neither 'hope' happens then they'll be a total waste of money.:thanks:

Drago

Legendary Member
A Volkswagen Golf. When people told me about the legendary Golf reliability they forgot to mention that did not extend to the dashboard catching fire on a dual carriageway and filling the cabin with acrid smoke within 2 or 3 seconds. Worst £300 I ever spent.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've just ordered some vests off fleabay. A fiver for 2. I hope they're ok and don't shrink or go baggy in the wash. Oh and I hope they get here while we're still having these heat waves. If neither 'hope' happens then they'll be a total waste of money.:thanks:
A vest?
I trust it was a Wolsey string one.

Top Bottom