What have you bought that has been a total waste of money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The wire/cable of my phone charger died on me. Yesterday I went to Currys and bought another one @£6.00ish. Got back home and went to get something from a drawer...... and what did I find but a spare charger :blush:.
Happy (in a strange way) to say.......the charger I found in the drawer isnt working properly, it may be a break in the wire.
So my £6.00 wasnt actually wasted^_^

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
cheap drill bits
To right.

I bought a set from Aldi, one of the flat bits for drilling wood burnt out on a piece of marine ply and the metal bits would put a nice dimple in the work before blueing. Back to decent branded makes after that.

I wonder how many people have junked a perfectly good drill they thought was useless when they were trying to bore holes with a bit from the £5.99 bargain box of 68 they got from that nice fellow on ebay?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
To right.

I bought a set from Aldi, one of the flat bits for drilling wood burnt out on a piece of marine ply and the metal bits would put a nice dimple in the work before blueing. Back to decent branded makes after that.

I wonder how many people have junked a perfectly good drill they thought was useless when they were trying to bore holes with a bit from the £5.99 bargain box of 68 they got from that nice fellow on ebay?
I bought a set of Ebay countersinks that must have come from the same manufacturer as the Aldi drill bits. They were so bad it was funny.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
To right.

A cheap drill with expensive bits is much better than an expensive drill with the bits made of cheese.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A cheap drill with expensive bits is much better than an expensive drill with the bits made of cheese.

Or drill a pilot hole, then a larger one, then a larger one. Don't try to drill a big hole in solid concrete with a big drill bit, without doing pilots. I may have burnt out my dad's drill 25 years ago..... for my ground anchor in my garage....:rolleyes:

tyred

Legendary Member
That nuclear fall-out shelter I bought during the Cold War was a bit of a waste of money.

image.jpeg
I randomly bought the wife a reflecting telescope for xmas about 15 years ago. Quite a good one as well. Never been used even once. All that astronomical potential sat in a dusty old box.

MagicBullett machine for liquidising fruit n veg. At first I thought it was the best thing ever, but after a while it just sat in a cupboard getting in the way. Eventually I bay’d it. It’s much less hassle just eating the fruit n veg as is.
:smile:
Yes. And natural fruit and veg has such clever packaging - much of which you can eat.

Did he also chunk away his copy of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'?
Had the idea most of those were bought by women?
Charity shops are full of it/them.
How times change/advance - sort if stuff that would have been shock horror in NOTW in my childhood now sold alongside floral cups.

Last edited:
Top Bottom