What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve decided to commute on my mid 80’s Orbit Thompson so I swapped the Look Keo pedals for some Shimano M520’s.
The rear mudguard was rattling, this was rectified with a small piece of rubber wrapped around the bridge near the bottom bracket where the mudguard hooks on.
Chain lubed, tyres pumped up & new finishing tape to the bar tape….. good to go.
I’ve not ridden this bike for years, it’s a lovely smooth ride and I’m sure I’ll familiarise myself again with the down tube friction shifters.

IMG_9750.jpeg

Last edited:

EckyH

What a beauty.

Oh, by the way - the bicycle looks great, too. ;)

E.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Suntour Perfect freewheels? There was a reason they were given that name, I reckon.

Eventually the last one wore out, and this is the second Sunrace replacement that has developed clonking noises within 20 minutes of being out on the road.

Seems it's a well-known problem of bearing adjustment, sorted by removing a shim (seen by the 28T stamp). It's all good learning.
20240524_122342~2.jpg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Bit of a fettle on the kona today. Started with trying to index the gears which have been a bit funny of late. Couldn't get them indexed properly with the adjuster so took it all back to first principles and checked it all like I was installing it for the first time using the excellent SRAM tech docs. I got to the B screw adjustment and measured the gap and found it was a few mm out of spec, a quick adjustment and all now seems fine, it will go up and down the cogs nice and smoothly now.

I also dipped a cable tie into my valves to check the sealant level and was perturbed to see the rear tire was showing no sealant. I normally inject new sealant through the valve, but decided to first pop the bead and look inside. It looks like some monster from a cheap B movie!

IMG_20240524_151418543.jpg

So with the airshot I popped the tire back on and then threw some Stans sealant down the valve.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's arrived with three bikes needing fettling:

We've done a wheel swap on his BeOne to a new Velo-Cité wheelset I'd picked up last year as he's worn out his Novatec set after over 17,000 miles. The tyres are also shredded - they've done about 2,000 miles - and he's doing the same 400km event as me tomorrow.

The rear thru axle thread on his Ridley Noah Fast has a stripped thread from a botched wheel change in a race. We've managed to get the thru axle out and swapped it for a spare. Two new thru axles bought (main plus spare) from Prime/Tri_Sports_Resort who are back on eBay.

And his Cerveló S3 looks to have a damaged rear derailleur and bent hanger, plus a bent wheel. Just how he's done that isn't clear but it was apparently something to do with a race, a bunch crash and the bike being underneath the lot. New hanger, replacement rear derailleur and temporary wheelset all in.

I've also prepped my Ridgeback Platinum for tomorrow's 400km audax with a few minor tweaks, plus a different saddle. I hope it all works.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Popped to Decathlon for an 8 speed chain (KMC) for the commuter. Fitted a new unused M570 chain ring (ebay) and a new SRAM 850 cassette (wiggle fire sale).

Will get on with searching for another chainring as I usually have a spare in stock as they are rare. I have a slightly worn XT chainring for emergencies. Got about 18 months out of chain, cassette and chain ring for commuting.

EckyH

Tried to use 32mm Panaracer Pasela PT on the Rigida DP18 for the Langschenkelrenner - unfortunately there are only 2mm space left between tyre and chain stays on either side. Too tight for me.

E.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Fettled the FD over the weekend after fitting a new BB to go with new crankset. Got there in the end and works great. (Stronglight cranks, FSA BB, Tiagra 9 speed the rest).
Be aware that if your FD is Tiagra 9sp (FD-4403) it has a high failure rate (a little nib the spring pushes on, breaks) so I'd procure a spare FD ready for that failure.

CXRAndy

Guru
I got me a 3D printer for my birthday(months ago).

This is going to be a steep learning curve. Thankfully my daughter can do CAD, so I'm hoping it wont be too difficult to pick up the basics

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Slight tweak to the commuter's rear cassette. I run 8 speed cassettes on 7 speed with an extra spacer. I usually have a 1mm spacer, plus a 3mm spacer on first, then 7 of the 8 sprockets. I'd changed from a Micrsoshift cassette to a nice SRAM PG850, but I didn't like how close to the freehub the locking ring was - i.e. almost bottoming out before fully tightening. Swapped the 1.0mm spacer for a 1.5mm spacer and tweaked the indexing.
I have a few 'varied' spacers as I use them to fine tweak cassette spacing on different wheels - last week I swapped out a 2mm spacer for a 2.3mm spacer on my CX bikes 'knobbly' wheelset, as switching between the road (Mavic) and off road (Fulcrum) wheels saw the indexing go slightly out on the knobbly wheelset despite identical Shimano cassettes.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
At last week's grasstrack racing I took a battering; my Fuji Track is too over-geared to get a decent start and, by the time it gets up to speed, most of the others are gone. Either it's over-geared or I'm too unfit and slow.

So ... in an attempt to help the issue I've stuck on a 42 tooth chainring instead of the 45 that was on it, bringing down the gearing by 5 inches. The only issue was I'd only got a 5-speed road chainring in the correct bcd, but it seems to work. Now I may be under-geared ...

Top Bottom