What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
They do look back to front, when I put them on I thought I had put them on back to front, but I double checked the spindle markers, and the stamps on the pedals to make sure, and they are just a bit odd looking, the 'L' is on the left, and the 'R' is on the right, if you look carefuly you'll see the L stamp at the back of the pedal in the shot. It's not until you actually ride the thing that you realise why they look like they do. The SPD side has to be in that orientation, or the shape of the flat side would be wrong (long bit towards the back, not the front). They are very good, and cheaper than the equivalent Shimano's.
View attachment 62520

That's the right hand pedal (with the R stamp at the back)
Not to worry ill pop off to specsavers lol

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have achieved my personal nirvana of an absolutely silent drivetrain. New chain & cassette, adjusted just right and wet lubed to within an inch of its life. Bliss.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New UN55 BB fitted to the fixed. The old UN53 did almost 6 years in all weather of commuting daily so can't complain. Managed to get the new BB for £8.99. The UN55 comes with a metal locking cup, rather than the plastic ones on the other models.

Slioch

Guru
Similar to the previous poster - completed fitting new UN55 BB to my winter road bike. Took it out for a 20 mile spin, and the clicking noise which was starting to drive me bonkers has now ceased. Happy days.

Also toed-in the rear brake blocks on my MTB as they were getting a bit screechy and I was scaring too many dog walkers on the local cycle paths.

I finally managed to get the angled hydraulic brake press tool and cassette tool on a stick, that I'd had a (much more difficult than it should have been) job getting. Good old Decathlon at Surrey Quays had both. Halfords really gripped my logs yesterday. I ordered them on line, they phoned me on Wednesday to say they were in. I turned up, only to be told they hadn't turned up. I wasn't exactly polite. I ordered them with Amazon, they confirmed the order and gave me my delivery date by email, the following day, I got an email to say they have been delayed, and they'll let me know when they will be sent. Order duly cancelled. It's starting to become an emerging theme with bike bits. It's not like they are made of unicorn spunk or something.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Also getting some sealed bottom bracket work done, having a look at some unused or lightly used ones on the bicycles in my donor group, cleaning and measuring. These will be for the older used mountain bike, and I'll be ordering new for the Fuji Tourer. I'm also considering moving all the groupset and wheels from my Lambert Viscount over to a Raleigh Grand Prix frame. This will be my short distance racer, or at least pretty racy for me. I have to complete measuring to determine whether it can be adapted to my requirements. I've already replaced the cottered crankset, so that's the big job out of the way.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I gave the SL4 a pre-ride fettle this morning in readiness for tomorrow's ride. I decided to drop the front forks out to clean and lube the headset. Sadly the top ballrace disintegrated...
Tomorrow I'll use another bike :bicycle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
One of my Pharrt Bleeps fell apart when I took the batteries out to charge them this morning :sad:, so a dab of superglue has been applied which seems to have done the trick.

I've also finally got round to fitting the new parts to the bike I was given earlier in the year. It's an early Raleigh ATB style (no model name) which I've updated by cold setting the frame to take a set of alloy rim wheels I had spare. The original derailleur wouldn't cope with the mega-range style freewheel on this wheel so I got a cheap Sunrace long cage mech and matching indexed shifter. With the 46 tooth chainring I should have a range of approx 34 to 88 gear inches which will be great for trips into town and possibly the odd commute.

I've also fitted new bearings to the Ashtabula type cranks so those are nice and smooth now. Next step is to fit the old mudguards off the knockabout bike and get a rack to make it into a load lugger.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
New UN55 BB fitted to the fixed. The old UN53 did almost 6 years in all weather of commuting daily so can't complain. Managed to get the new BB for £8.99. The UN55 comes with a metal locking cup, rather than the plastic ones on the other models.
I fitted a UN55 BB when I converted my Cannondale to a triple chainset earlier in the year - they are amazing value for money!

Speaking of the Cannondale ... I have put it to one side for the winter, but I spotted something when I walked past it yesterday. I am using latex tubes on the bike and had read that they are so flexible that they can find their way out of the tiniest hole so I have been watching out for that. The tubes are a very light blue colour and I thought I saw a hint of it on the front tyre. Closer inspection revealed a hole in the tyre only about 1.5 mm wide but the tube was starting to find its way out! I removed the tyre and immediately lost sight of the hole, it was that small. I shone a bright light from the other side of the tyre and eventually found the hole which I have now patched from the inside. It would not have been a problem at all with an ordinary butyl tube, but I didn't want to risk a front wheel blowout with the latex one.

wisdom

Guru
I fitted a UN55 BB when I converted my Cannondale to a triple chainset earlier in the year - they are amazing value for money!

Speaking of the Cannondale ... I have put it to one side for the winter, but I spotted something when I walked past it yesterday. I am using latex tubes on the bike and had read that they are so flexible that they can find their way out of the tiniest hole so I have been watching out for that. The tubes are a very light blue colour and I thought I saw a hint of it on the front tyre. Closer inspection revealed a hole in the tyre only about 1.5 mm wide but the tube was starting to find its way out! I removed the tyre and immediately lost sight of the hole, it was that small. I shone a bright light from the other side of the tyre and eventually found the hole which I have now patched from the inside. It would not have been a problem at all with an ordinary butyl tube, but I didn't want to risk a front wheel blowout with the latex one.
You were lucky there.Think I will stick to traditional rubber tubes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You were lucky there.Think I will stick to traditional rubber tubes.
Yes, it is a bit worrying! @Globalti mentioned this kind of problem in a post earlier in the year. I like the ride quality of the latex tubes but I wonder if the subtle improvement over butyl is worth the potential problems?

I might give ultralight butyl tubes a go. Mind you, they could exhibit the same worrying characteristics.

bpsmith

Veteran
The missus treated to a new saddle. Not ferried, as such, as took 30 secs to fit. Test ride tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom