What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
image.jpg

The new lid arrived today :wahhey: It's a serious bit of kit.

jack smith

Veteran
But seriously, you'd have to be shot at by a sniper to get a puncture from those tyres. They could puncture, but it's pretty unlikely, it'd have to be a sidewall or a tube rupture realistically.
You never know the way some nutters act in the uk, someone up my way got shot in the head at a sunday league game lastweek!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just changed the brake pads on the Felt hybrid for my eldest lad after he complained the brakes weren't working. I bought the pads for it at the beginning of the year and never got round to doing the job, to say they were worn is an understatement :whistle:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
New tires, replacing disintegrating old tires on my Trek 800 winter bicycle. Also fettled gearing so it works better when I swap the wheelset from my Specialized Hardrock to the Trek. The Trek 800 is doing much better now, broke 3 personal bests on the test run after the fettle. Also placed a new headlight from the Fuji Tourer on the Trek 800, as the Fuji has been placed in the basement to shelter from the winter and also be the trainer bike. Overhaul on the Fuji first, then the Trek 800 when winter closes its icy grip on the outdoor riding. Planning on sealed bottom bracket harvesting from unsuitable donor bike frames tomorrow, before it turns cold again.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I just put the "emergency" pedals on my Genesis. The DMR V8 flats need servicing, got the relevant tools coming on wednesday. Already bought the grease :tongue: Doesnt matter how much grease you put on the thread, either, pedals are always a blighter to remove! :-0

avsd

Guru
Fitted rear dynamo light today - B&M Toplight Line Brake. Nice and bright. I will use a secondary battery light as a backup.

I just put the "emergency" pedals on my Genesis. The DMR V8 flats need servicing, got the relevant tools coming on wednesday. Already bought the grease :tongue: Doesnt matter how much grease you put on the thread, either, pedals are always a blighter to remove! :-0

Yep, I find a liberal dose of MO94 / GT85 / WD40 left for a bit, and they come off nice and easily. I got the V12 flats off of the new crosstrail, and replaced them with some SPD / flat trekker's. They work really well as flats or SPD, some dual use trekker pedals don't work so well, but the SPD mech is raised on these, so it does work very well.

Lots of fettling at the week-end.
Fork steerer got cut by the LBS Saturday so was able to fit them properly yesterday along with the mechs,brakes etc ready for cables and setting up.

Also got the steerer cut on the On-One forks for the Trek re-build and fitted;also cut the bars and tried the old Mavic wheels,haven't wired up the rear mech yet so won't know if it'll play ball with the rear wheel.Also still have to cable-up the brakes.

KneesUp

Guru
Over the weekend I took the following off 700c hybrid-thing:

handlebars, stem, brake levers, cantilevers, bar ends, saddle, rear derallieur, chain

I then put them all on 26" MTB-thing, shortened the chain, cleaned and re-greased the front hub and put new tyres on.

Tonight I will tighten the stem as the handlebars rotated while I was on the hoods on a fast-ish downhill bit, and it was mildly terrifying!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Yep, I find a liberal dose of MO94 / GT85 / WD40 left for a bit, and they come off nice and easily. I got the V12 flats off of the new crosstrail, and replaced them with some SPD / flat trekker's. They work really well as flats or SPD, some dual use trekker pedals don't work so well, but the SPD mech is raised on these, so it does work very well.

I think the weather gets to them after a while no matter what I apply. Hot and cold, dry and wet - I've ridden in all and that probably attacks the grease a little.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Gave my HT a good clean after yesterdays wet mucky ride out.
Changed the front back to hans dampf 2.35 as the skinny i fitted last week was a bit naughty..left the skinny on the back ..

Levo-Lon

Guru
View attachment 62312

New pedals (clipless of course) on the new crosstrail, to replace the God awful toe strap bollix numbers it came with. This is part 1 of a fettle fest today. I've got to put the new wheelset on the roady, and fit the computers to the old crosstrail and the new crosstrail. Then I have to sort the indexing on the new crosstrail, as Halfords excelled themselves yet again, with the set up. It's showing 1 on the right hand indicator, and the rear dérailleur is at minimum, but the chain isn't on the 36t sprocket :gun:. How bloody hard can it be? :angry:

Are my eyes failing or are the pedals on the wrong side??

i use shimanno and that looks like It should have the small cut out at the front?

Last edited:
Are my eyes failing or are the pedals on the wrong side??

i use shimanno and that looks like It should have the small cut out at the front?

They do look back to front, when I put them on I thought I had put them on back to front, but I double checked the spindle markers, and the stamps on the pedals to make sure, and they are just a bit odd looking, the 'L' is on the left, and the 'R' is on the right, if you look carefuly you'll see the L stamp at the back of the pedal in the shot. It's not until you actually ride the thing that you realise why they look like they do. The SPD side has to be in that orientation, or the shape of the flat side would be wrong (long bit towards the back, not the front). They are very good, and cheaper than the equivalent Shimano's.
image.jpg

That's the right hand pedal (with the R stamp at the back)

Last edited:
Top Bottom