What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just fitted some Discobrakes brake pads to my XT commuter brakes. Have had to remove a hardly used pair of genuine finned pads from the front as they seem to be contaminated with something. Have given them a run through the dishwasher and cleaned them up with sandpaper but they still had the friction coefficient of oiled ice!
It's a bit weird as the rears are fine and still lock up the wheel at the merest squeeze. If any were going to get contaminated you would expect the rears to suffer.

At least the Discobrakes sintered pad is a lot cheaper at a little over £5 a pair as opposed to £15-20 for the Shimano version :eek:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Continued work on bottom bracket of Fuji Boulevard at cycle rehab center, found some old Shimano STI shifters that were broken(for Fuji Tourer) and got and installed a longer(even yet) seatpost on my Specialized Hardrock. I also removed old cables from shifters, as well as removed the grips before soaking the whole shifters in WD-40.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Prepped the 1986 Raleigh Team for sale:
  • New front gear cable
  • New Clarks anti-rust chain
  • Re-fitted Michelin Dynamic tyres and polished the rims
  • Re-fitted the bar tape
  • Cleaned and lubricated things
  • Changed the pedals to standard ones
It'll be sad to see it go but needs must; most of my bikes are having to be sold due to a change in personal circumstances. I've done over 1100 miles in 18 months and it's been a dependable workhorse.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I went out to do a century today, just leaving Berkhamstead I went to change into the big ring, there was a 'jolt' from the brifter and nothing happened! Looked down to see a slack cable beside the downtube! First thought was a broken cable and I'd be spinning like crazy until I got home. Stopped at the next roundabout to find the cable clamp on the front mech had let go of the cable. Reattached the cable and off I went.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
  • New front gear cable
  • Re-fitted the bar tape
It'll be sad to see it go but needs must; most of my bikes are having to be sold due to a change in personal circumstances. I've done over 1100 miles in 18 months and it's been a dependable workhorse.
Sorry to hear about the change in circumstances, @DCLane . I had a lot of great bikes stop by and visit during the last great economic unpleasantness, hard to see them go, but I gave them a good upbringing and sent them out into the world in peace, and paid a few bills into the bargain.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I've just finished setting up the gears after doing and STI conversion to Le Pug. I also checked all bolts using my new topeak torque tool. It was only a fiver so thought I'd give it a go.

wisdom

Guru
  • New front gear cable
  • Re-fitted the bar tape
Hope you raise a good amount and your circumstances change again for the better.Good luck.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I put the bike on the stand with a list of jobs to do, nothing urgent but I ended up just cleaning and polishing :sad:

I wanted to change the front dérailleur while I added a barrel adjuster BUT as they say "if ain't broke...." so I left the two jobs for latter :blush:

Next job was to fit the new wheels so I brought them out and placed them next to the bike and they looked fantastic BUT I built the wheels as a reward to myself for loosing a bit more weight and sadly I'm not quite there yet so I gave the bike a quick clean and I went for a ride instead ^_^

Cyclist33

Not today but late last night, fitted some noo tyres to the steel bike and some noo bar tape. It sounded good on paper and I suspect performance and comfort to be impressive. Ruined the looks tho lol.

And today, washed my MTB with the help of my young lad.

Cyclist33

dsc_0021-resized-800.jpg
oops!

D

Deleted member 23692

The pedals on the hybrid were squeaking slightly after today's ride, so they've been regreased.
Once they were fitted back on the bike, I noticed the road bike's pedals weren't as slick as the hybrids, so they had to be regreased too.
And then I did the dumb move of checking the MTB's pedals, and guess what? They are now regreased.

After a ride on the commuter I transferred its 34/50 to my Ti bike and took it for a test ride, to check out the new rear derailleur indexing etc. Never skipped a beat on a 32miles test ride :-) What was funny was near a village I was fiddling with different gears to ensure everything was ok an a bloke scalped me, so I accelerated and sat on his wheel for a bit. I then returned the favour, he didn'tseem to like the Scalping Lol and when we came to a busy A road roundabout he desperately overtook and weaved through the rbt, drivers must have loved him :rolleyes:
The rbt actually cleared shortly later so I scalp him again and this time dropped him, I think I had around 85miles in my legs :-D

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Hope you raise a good amount and your circumstances change again for the better.Good luck.

Thanks - it's likely to be short-term only but the clear-out is also needed. Lots of kit has already been sold/donated/given away with some more to come. 3-5 more bikes to be sold leaving me with 2-3 (commuter/audax/MTB) so I won't be left with nothing to ride :okay:

Top Bottom