What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Received some Shimano brifters yesterday, I have succeeded in removing the corroded cables and cleaning the mechanisms of old grease by flooding them with WD-40, and everything seems to be coming back to rights. These may see service on the Fuji Tourer, once they get all fettled and can pass a reliability test or two. A good soaking is taking place at present, with the hoods removed so they may be properly cleaned. It is also my thought to update wheel and cog to assure proper indexing. New SKS fenders are also in the plan.What a lovely little money pit this bicycle is becoming!

Over the week-end re-fitted the chainset on the Icarus after replaceing the bb and fitted some nice Vittoria open pave cg's with latex tube on to the zondas(only to break a valve yesterday)

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Had the MTB apart giving it a proper spring clean on sunday and fitted a pair of Conti 2.2 Race Kings for these dry days we are having. It meant sacrificing a days riding but on the upside I managed to put a nice layer of topsoil over my rockery from all the crud I washed off the bike. :laugh:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My fettling for today was strip out Bb30 BB and clean regressed. Same with headset. Made some tweaks to the shifting on rear sram derailleur. Then washed and polished bike. Will probably now not ride it all week due to weather

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm getting lazy.
Started giving the Ribble a clean, got as far as washing it, quick wipe, got bored with going any further so fitted a new Sram chain...just because. Ive no idea how the old (original Veloce) one is, I might be being a bit premature but what the hell. New spring, new chain. Just waiting for a delivery, then off out for a spin.....c'mon delivery men :okay:

si_c

Guru
Cleaned the rear derailleur out, all the pulleys were caked in crap, took the opportunity to disconnect the cable and add a bit of lube down the whole length of it. Disappointed that it's shifting no better, but then I had no complaints before either :biggrin:

Oh, and I took the rear wheel off, cleaned and regreased all the bearings and reoiled the freehub.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Checked the wife's hybrid over, ready for her shopping trip tomorrow.
Also cleaned and checked my Focus Cayo Di2 over, ready for a hilly 30 miler tomorrow morning.

Drago

Legendary Member
Gave the car a much need clean...

It gets used for toting my mountain bikes, so is kinda bike related.

Attachments

• 2015-03-24 15.11.44 2.png
    2015-03-24 15.11.44 2.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A friend came over on her bike from Haworth this morning. She mentioned that she'd had a fright trying to brake on the way down into Hebden Bridge. (it is quite steep and narrow, and parked cars often make it singletrack in many places so oncoming vehicles can cause problems.) I took a look at her bike and saw that the rims were covered in black, greasy gunk so I got a scouring pad and some washing up liquid and scrubbed them for her. I then rinsed the suds off using my trusty 5 litre garden spray. That fixed the braking problem.

In the course of doing that, it became clear that either her bike's bottom bracket is seriously worn or it has come loose. I showed her how to check for problems by rocking the cranks laterally. (I could move the ends of the cranks in and out by almost a cm!) I do not have the tools to suit her Hollowtech BB so I told her to take the bike to her usual bike shop ASAP and get them to sort it out.

I accompanied her home and when I got back I decided that my wheel rims could also do with a clean. My brakes were still working but I'd had to use 50% more force on the levers than I should do. I cleaned the rims, and gave my bike a good wash while I was at it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A friend came over on her bike from Haworth this morning. She mentioned that she'd had a fright trying to brake on the way down into Hebden Bridge. (it is quite steep and narrow, and parked cars often make it singletrack in many places so oncoming vehicles can cause problems.) I took a look at her bike and saw that the rims were covered in black, greasy gunk so I got a scouring pad and some washing up liquid and scrubbed them for her. I then rinsed the suds off using my trusty 5 litre garden spray. That fixed the braking problem.

In the course of doing that, it became clear that either her bike's bottom bracket is seriously worn or it has come loose. I showed her how to check for problems by rocking the cranks laterally. (I could move the ends of the cranks in and out by almost a cm!) I do not have the tools to suit her Hollowtech BB so I told her to take the bike to her usual bike shop ASAP and get them to sort it out.

I accompanied her home and when I got back I decided that my wheel rims could also do with a clean. My brakes were still working but I'd had to use 50% more force on the levers than I should do. I cleaned the rims, and gave my bike a good wash while I was at it.
Hollowtech 2 has no adjustment, it is just fit new external bearings. Good news is they are less than £20 and you can swap em in 10 minutes easily.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hollowtech 2 has no adjustment, it is just fit new external bearings. Good news is they are less than £20 and you can swap em in 10 minutes easily.
She said that she hadn't noticed any problems with the bottom bracket but about 2 minutes later I heard a loud CLUNK from it as we climbed out of town ... I have never seen a bottom bracket that loose which was still so rideable!

Her LBS will sort her out.

She is not mechanically minded, which is fair enough, but I suggested that she should either learn a few basic checks to do herself, or put the bike in for servicing more regularly so problems get spotted sooner.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
My fettling attempts today were unsuccessful, wiped over my rear hub on the drive side to assess the damage done by my chain skipping off and wrapping itself around the axle. Turns out its chewed up the retaining ring that holds the bearings in... Did try re-shape it without luck as it just pops back out again... Looks like I need to buy new parts! Sad times... Also did a little wipe, clean and lubricant check on the Mrs new cycle.. All was good for her bike :smile:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 31

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My fettling attempts today were unsuccessful, wiped over my rear hub on the drive side to assess the damage done by my chain skipping off and wrapping itself around the axle. Turns out its chewed up the retaining ring that holds the bearings in... Did try re-shape it without luck as it just pops back out again... Looks like I need to buy new parts! Sad times... Also did a little wipe, clean and lubricant check on the Mrs new cycle.. All was good for her bike :smile:
The cone holds the bearings 'in' the rest just keeps the muck out.

Top Bottom