What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The lad said can youhave a look at my old GT..
brakes are bad as are the gears and a few other bits...
well he fitted new pads And left the pad pins out!! Didnt tighten caliper bolts!!!!!!! about right for him.lol
gears ...7 speed cassette and a 8 speed shifter..managed to get that indexed..
forks were solid..strip clean and grease..
tyres were soft so ive done a full service and he has a nice tidy commuter for his keep fit kick.

and the all over clean was free too....

1436976545473.jpg

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Fiddled with the rear derailleur a little, cable getting a bit slack when on the smallest sprocket, didn't want to run the barrel adjuster out too far. Wiped, re-oiled, and wiped the chain.

gbb

Legendary Member
Wiped chain, lubed, wiped and lubed again...to stand in the shed, will be wiped again before next ride, loosened the seatpost (carbon to carbon frame, dont know if theyre prone to siezing so playing it safe) made sure it was free, retightened.

Everything.

In advance of next weekend's Legend of Gelert around Snowdonia thought I'd better check out the Defy. Planning ahead, and buying myself a well-overdue birthday present (the Park Tools work-stand (the home version)) I stripped the Defy to the frame and BB. Then ordered a new middle ring and bolts - it's serviceable, but not for much longer. Cartridge BB is fine - replaced a couple of years ago.

Cleaned, TCut, car polished and then waxed the frame and forks. Now gleaming. Changed the chain suck frame protector (it's 6 years old!).

Soaked the calipers in FS10 overnight and they came up a treat - gleaming. Dropped out the fork, cleaned and re-greased the headset bearings. Soaked RD and FD and chainrings overnight in FS10 and they also came up a treat. But, I'm changing away from the dry lubes as the crust of wax they leave behind is really tough to shift - my LBS suggested using the wet version, so will give that a go.

Fitted new gear cables (inners and outers), polished the black plastic Defy 'guards and refitted, junked the old chain at 0.75 wear and fitted yet another new KMC X-93 chain (are there any other makes?) with new quick link and then spent an hour getting the old indexing and limit screw adjustments and cable tensions just right. What used to be a nightmare job with the bike upside down on the garage floor is now a work of simple pleasure with the gears at chest level in the work-stand. A tweak here - yes - can see what that did, just a bit more and a tweak on the cable tension, yes - nearly there. Ah, bliss! Silent shifting. All fixings re-assembled with CopaSlip. Seat tube out, cleaned and re-greased. All the pivot points had a drop of oil.

Remembered to set the bars and forks to dead ahead, and tightened the stem bolts. Re-set the brake pad spacings just so, (must remember to order new KoolStop pads - these are OK, but not for much longer), bottle cages, computer sender unit and pump mount back on, and test ride. Silent, smooth, like new, but with 10,000 miles of battle scars on the frame.

But, why oh why did I not buy a work-stand years ago? That Park Tools PCS9 must be the best £70 I ever spent - even if Yodel did deliver it to next door's shed thinking that was No. 3. Idiots.

Well, the bike's ready for the climb out of Beddgelert up to the Pen-y-Gwryd, even if I'm not.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
I have the PCS10 and agree @andytheflyer, it is a necessity in my mind. So much easier for working on and for cleaning too.

As for my fettling, I have cleaned the bike, lubed chain and topped up the frame wax. Then adjusted my cleats, as were too far forward, and moved the saddle forward slightly to compensate for the foot being further forward after clear adjustment.

1.5mm cleat adjustment and 3mm saddle adjustment has me just about perfect now. Ride yesterday was so much more comfortable and power improved. Surprising how the tiniest of adjustment helps so much.

Marginal tweaks! :smile:

si_c

Guru
Fettled the wife's bike tonight. Tightened up the BB as it had worked its way loose :S Slight rattle from the mudguards, so realigned and then tightened up rear brake cable a touch.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Have you left for Bruges yet?
Have you not read my post in "Your ride today" ????????

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
New Clarks anti-rust chain onto eldest son's Felt Q200 MTB.

Tightened up my youngest's RH shifter after it was loose following a crash in training on Tuesday. I can't do much about the scrapes on the shifter though *

* he went down hard on a corner, got up, won the race at the end of training and only then realised that there was blood all down him and on the bike

Top Bottom