What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fettled this shed from a kit last weekend, just putting a timber floor in it today. It's a bit too good just for stuff I rec.

View attachment 95779
Nice, we've got something quite similar in the garden but its got chairs, a stereo and a small widescreen TV (10.5 inch 'Widescreen' LED) and its a summerhouse.
If I refer to it as a shed then Maz is prone to belting me one (if she's in range) :B)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I was going to go for a ride but was very slow and lazy today so decided to do some fettling instead.

I've been meaning to check the new wheels on my brother's bike to see if my handiwork is still running true, which I'm glad to say it is. I still found room for a bit of fine tuning but am very happy with how they've come out, especially as they got used on some pretty rough tracks while up in The Lakes.

While the stand was out I thought I'd also check my own bikes over. They also both benefited from a bit of tweaking and are now running straighter than the average cheap wheel. The ones on the Raleigh are doing the job just fine at the moment but I can't help thinking how nice a wheel-set like Doug's would look on it (in silver rather than black).

Final task was to fix a puncture. I'd noticed that my front winter tyre had gone quite soft in storage but the back has held pressure so I finally got round to investigating it and found an inch long hawthorn embedded. That's all sorted, ready for next winter then.:okay: (Tries not to think about the :cold:)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Gave Eric, my CX a good old clean and whatnot. You should have seen the state of his jockey wheels :eek: I must be a terrible parent to have let them get in that state. All nice and clean now, polished too. Chain all clean and dry lubed, ready to go out and play in a little while later tonight. Actually, might take the roadie as I don't want to get Eric all filthy quite this soon.:cycle:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Wobbly left crank!

IMG_20150712_190338599_HDR.jpg
Stripped BB cups to find the axle a tad worn. Measured OK with the vernier gauge so I'll have to clean it up and renew the borked cups.

No idea how I let it get so bad!

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Put the marathon racers (haha) back on tbe the Cannondale Ute and wiped over the brake rotors and pads while the wheels were off.

Will see tomorrow if that part of my pedestrian alert system has been compromised.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Fettled Peugeot Shopper stem to stern, including recalcitrant stem and fittings thereto. I was going to commute on it, but as the bottom bracket is so low, and my feet quite large, that may not be a good idea. Height wise, just tall enough for me at 6'3", but it may be destined for neighborhood chores. I also added new bars to the Specialized Sirrus, new grips and bar ends. Schwinn Impact got it's headset tightened after its 45 mile sojourn of the other day, and the iimpending commute on Monday. Ice cream may be in the offing.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
New BB cups installed alright, but I borked a torque wrench !

Set it for 24Nm (the max setting) intending to nip the cups up once I had got to that range but the square drive snapped off !

Amazon are replacing the torque wrench which was new in June and had only done some headset work hitherto.

Tom B

Guru
Got a Charge saddle to try so fitted that to the Planet X and also adjusted the brakes.

Which one did you get? I keep meaning to try a spoon, but there s always something else needing the money!

Today, well, yesterday i have fettled some new Oxford surprisingly decent mudguards onto SWMBOs commuter machine, realigned my front deraileur after it was shaken/bashed of line on a really too rocky for a commuter bike decent from peel tower & changed an innertube three times on a MTB after i seem to have acquired a batch of dogy innertubes where the valve blows out!

Which one did you get? I keep meaning to try a spoon, but there s always something else needing the money!

Got a spoon;on loan from someone at work who couldn't get on with it.
Seemed good this morning on a 42km commute especially as it's still pretty new.

Top Bottom