What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
This mornings school run with Skol Jnr threw up another issue. Right from the start my chain was making a regular noise every few pedal revolutions. A short distance into the trip I stopped to investigate because it seemed to be getting worse. This is what I found....
I had this happened to me. The plate caught the rear dérailleur and ripped it off. I don’t use them any more.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I had this happened to me. The plate caught the rear dérailleur and ripped it off. I don’t use them any more.
Luckily(?) It broke in the right direction so the plate was pressed down every time it passed through the gears. If it had been pointing the other way I'm sure I would have suffered the same fate as you :cry:
Anyhow, temporary fix installed. I have fitted the 10spd link I already had and it seems to be unnoticeable so far, although this now leaves me with a brand new 10spd chain and no link. PM sent to @Globalti :hello:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have just emailed Wiggle, the bike supplier, to ask if this will be considered as warranty. I am not going to be upset if they say no because I know chains are a funny one, but thought it worth asking the question.....

If you don't ask, you don't get....
Replacement 11spd chain just arrived from Wiggle! I really only needed a new missing link. They emailed near close of business yesterday and said they agree the chain shouldn't do this in such a short distance so have expressed me a replacement :notworthy:
I really have to take my hat off to them. I was nervous of distance buying a bike in case of any issues but both times I have had to call on the warranty they have exceeded expectations without hesitation :okay:
EDIT: Now I face a conundrum. Do I fit the full new chain or keep the otherwise serviceable old chain and just use the new connector?

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Last time out on my CAAD 5, I was annoyed by a slight rattle coming from the bike on rough stretches of road - i.e. a lot of the time, given our local road surfaces!

It took some tracking down. It turned out to be the RH brake lever which was slightly loose. Campagnolo brake levers do not have return springs - they rely on the tension in the brake cable to pull them shut when the lever is released after braking. There was enough friction in the cable to stop that working properly. I turned the bike upside down and squirted some thin lube down inside the brake outer. I then repeatedly operated the lever to work the lube down inside the cable. It helped, but it didn't entirely fix the problem.

The 'proper' solution would be to replace the brake outer cable (and probably the inner while I was at it) but I didn't want to have to take my nice new bar tape off to do that. (I know I could reuse the tape but it took me 3 attempts to get it neat last time!)

I came up with a work-around ... I normally release the brake lever slowly like this - LET GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. That gives friction a perfect opportunity to stop the cable sliding back inside the outer. If instead I just do it abruptly like this - LET GO - the brake lever snaps back to its correct position immediately; 100% effective at stopping the rattle!

I'll put a new front brake cable on next time I change the bar tape.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Replacement 11spd chain just arrived from Wiggle.......Now I face a conundrum. Do I fit the full new chain or keep the otherwise serviceable old chain and just use the new connector?

Keep the old one and use the connector which I posted to you this morning.

Oh no you're on 11 speed. I have sent you 2 x 10 speed links though.
Thanks @Globalti
As a result of your generosity I have made a decision. I will fit the new chain prematurely and hopefully this will help slow down the wear on my 'expensive' 11spd drivetrain. I will then use the 10spd links for emergency use. I did about 15 miles today with the wrong link fitted and only rarely did I get a click of complaint from the rear end and this is fine as a get you home fix. When I next replace the chain I will keep the now old missing link for the emergency spare (assuming this one lasts the distance). Jobs a good'un!

johnnyb47

Guru
Today I thought I would just give the derailleurs a minor tweak to get the gears to shift more smoothly. What could possibly go wrong. Well , a two minute job turned into an hour of messing around with them. My old road bikes friction shifters are a doddle to do but I was I for a bit of surprise with my hybrid with its indexed and multiple gear ratios attached. After much faffing around I've now got them working nice and smooth as well as learning how to adjust them correctly. Mind you on the positive side it kept me out of the pub watching the rugby lol :-)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
No joke, I was browsing another cycling forum earlier in the week and checking out Conti GP 4S reviews... In one review, One reviewer said he had trouble seeing the arrow on the sidewall to make sure the tyre was set to roll the right way. 'Arrow' i thought... What 'Arrow' ??? and then i checked on thursday night after my commute home and saw it after shining an extremely bright torch as the sidewall for 2mins. It seemed that i hadnt put the front tyre on to roll in the right direction.

All sorted now. less than 15mins fumbling around removing the tyre and making sure its put back on the right way. Checked the brakes. Was going to clean the drive chain but im low on degreaser and im too lazy to hop on the bike and ride to halfords 2miles away to get more.

Its a sunday innit?

Globalti

Legendary Member
DIrection of rotation makes no difference. Some tyres have a direction arrow so as to ensure the logo, which ought to be lined up with the valve or 180 degrees to the valve, is visible on the right of the bike. Treads make no difference either, they are just there to make you feel better.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Had a notchy headset on my Saturday ride, so Sunday morning was spent doing a proper clean and then i stripped the headset bearings down. Surprisingly the lower sealed bearing was in great condition, it was the upper bearing that was horribly gummed up. 30 minutes later, lots of rags and degreaser and it was all back as good as new. It was bloomin freezing though - I should have taken the bike back into the garage after giving it a deep clean.

Top Bottom