What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Was only supposed to clean and lube the drivechain but i ended up giving the whole bike a bit of a cleanbas it been out in the rain past the last two weeks.

Got stumped on which lube to use. BBC says no wet weather forecast for the rest of this week so I'll put some mucc off C3* dry lube on. The lube my LBS put on after i had the bike serviced was some weird sticky stuff.... While being sticky to the touch it didnt pick up much dirt at all!

Now i have Michael Caine's voice in my head shouting "you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Mudguard fettle this afternoon. On my ride yesterday I turned past Hatton Country World and thought this is getting to be hard work, when I got to the cafe by Hatton Locks I could see that the rear mudguard was clogged with mud, I had a clear out then hit every minor lump bump and pothole on the way home to shake out as much as I could.This afternoon I had the rear wheel off and cleared about a pound of mud out of the mudguard then adjusted the mudguard to fine tune it and get a touch of extra clearance.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Fitted the new link to replace the broken 11S missing link in my KMC chain. It had never been reused but still failed at less than 500 miles.
Also replaced the squeaky front pads on my disc braked road bike. Fitted cheap Discobrakes sintered pads for around £5 rather than the £20+ genuine shimano ones. Test ride today was good, bedded in quickly and ran silently. Fingers crossed for the long term.

New bar tape fitted to the Helium;all ready for the nice weather so guess it'll be sat around for a bit:rolleyes:.

IMG_20170211_135515202.jpg

IMG_20170211_135337420.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
Cleaned the commuter . There's a huge amount of mud and dirt on floor now.

New brake pads as the originals from Jun were properly worn as in no friction material left !

Replaced mudguard with one from old bike as it's better.

2 new spokes needed on rear wheel which would explain the rattle ooops

gbb

Legendary Member
My old Trek 7100fx is tired and old now, but still a fully functional bike so starting a bit of a deep clean, service and square up.
It's got aftermarket alloy cheap wheels on it which have given good service but look grubby.
Going to spray them black...any suggestions to get a reasonable finish ?...gloss or matt aerosol ?..any specific prep apart from obvious cleaning and decreasing?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
DIrection of rotation makes no difference. Some tyres have a direction arrow so as to ensure the logo, which ought to be lined up with the valve or 180 degrees to the valve, is visible on the right of the bike. Treads make no difference either, they are just there to make you feel better.

A lot of mountain bike ones are. Front more geared to easy rolling and rear more geared towards traction. My two, the older Forme on geax saguaro tyres have the same tread but you run them in opposite directions, the new Whyte has different tyres fore and aft with different tread patterns.

Last edited:

Svendo

Guru
No joke, I was browsing another cycling forum earlier in the week and checking out Conti GP 4S reviews... In one review, One reviewer said he had trouble seeing the arrow on the sidewall to make sure the tyre was set to roll the right way. 'Arrow' i thought... What 'Arrow' ??? and then i checked on thursday night after my commute home and saw it after shining an extremely bright torch as the sidewall for 2mins. It seemed that i hadnt put the front tyre on to roll in the right direction.

All sorted now. less than 15mins fumbling around removing the tyre and making sure its put back on the right way. Checked the brakes. Was going to clean the drive chain but im low on degreaser and im too lazy to hop on the bike and ride to halfords 2miles away to get more.

Its a sunday innit?

I assume it's a disc brake bike, otherwise you could just turn the wheel round and swap the QR over (if your in the 'front QR must be on the left' camp).

Will Spin

Über Member
Finally, finally managed to get the indexing on my "winter" bike RD to work well, it's taken almost a year! (Shimano 105 10 speed) It all started going wrong when I put a new back wheel on, I found it almost impossible to get smooth, sweet changes up and down. I've tried everything, so I thought, alignment check and adjust, new gear cable and outers, new rear derailleur (no expense spared!), almost got to the point where I was resigned to the routine of "click, shift, click trim" whenever changing through the middle gears. Had the bike on the stand last week and looked again at the cassette which has a little play in it, so one last thing to do, took the cassette off, cleaned it up, cleaned off the splines on the freewheel, a little bit of grease put it all back together and bingo! Changes like a dream.:smile:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I assume it's a disc brake bike, otherwise you could just turn the wheel round and swap the QR over (if your in the 'front QR must be on the left' camp).

Nope. It was the Triban 540. I did briefly remove the wheel and try to put it on the other way like you said but the 'H Plus Son' lettering on the rims would of been rolling in the wrong direction and i get ocd about small things like that.

Only 15mins to fix though so im not too fussed.

Top Bottom