What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
My old Trek 7100fx is tired and old now, but still a fully functional bike so starting a bit of a deep clean, service and square up.
It's got aftermarket alloy cheap wheels on it which have given good service but look grubby.
Going to spray them black...any suggestions to get a reasonable finish ?...gloss or matt aerosol ?..any specific prep apart from obvious cleaning and decreasing?
Handlebars removed, grips and shifters taken off, scuffs polished out a bit.
Front wheel removed, cleaned with a brillo pad, rinsed and dried then handlebars and wheel sprayed black.
Ongoing job...one cuppa drank and listened to some trance while working.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Freehub was sticking shut on the commute home. Every time I freewheeled or reverse peddled it stuck momentarily. So as soon as I got home put the bike up in the stand, got the wheel off, cassette off. Out with the fee-hub and there was a lot of reddish/brown muck in there. Cleaned the hub, pawls and retainer spring with WD40, wiped dry, oiled up and put back together. So fingers crossed all fixed for the commute tomorrow.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Freehub was sticking shut on the commute home. Every time I freewheeled or reverse peddled it stuck momentarily. So as soon as I got home put the bike up in the stand, got the wheel off, cassette off. Out with the fee-hub and there was a lot of reddish/brown muck in there. Cleaned the hub, pawls and retainer spring with WD40, wiped dry, oiled up and put back together. So fingers crossed all fixed for the commute tomorrow.

Yep.. all now fine and dandy...sorted.

13 rider

Guru
Not sure if I should call this a fettle or a bodge :wacko:

On today's ride I went over one of our local authorities traffic calming humps on the road, the type that are made from mono block bricks. Unfortunately for me there was a brick broken and I hit the hole with a bit of a thump. Then I heard a noise from the bike so pulled in as soon as I could to discover the rear mudguard had pulled away from the securing brackets due to the rivets being corroded with the salt on the roads. I've a new set of mudguards in the garage so I could change them over, or I could get the pop rivet gun out and re-rivet it. Instead t I decided to go for the easy option and used my trusty cable ties...

View attachment 337918

View attachment 337919
Top bodge . It's been know for people on head to use bluetac ( @Supersuperleeds :secret: ) to repair mudguards so that will be fine .

D

Deleted member 1258

This is from yesterday, having spotted that the rear wheel bearings were stiff and gritty when I cleared and adjusted the rear mudguard last week I got round to sorting it out yesterday afternoon. I stripped out the locknuts to get access to the bearing seals, then popped the seals off and gave the bearings a good greasing. Then did the same to the front wheel bearings.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
New tyres (front and rear) on the Merlin PR7, had two thousand miles from the stock tyres and probably could have had a little more but the rear was quite 'squared off', keeping the old front in case of emergency. Swapped for a pair of Schwalbe Luganos that I got an OK deal on. While I was at it replaced the rear pads (stock again) with a set of Tektro P453, had a set on the front for a while and have been happy with them.

Can't wait to get out for a test ride now which looks like it might not be till Saturday but may be able to sneak out for an hour tomorrow.... ;)

U

User19783

Fitted a new FSA BB 8420 68 mm to my Broadman hybrid, as the old one was getting stiff.
Didn't realize how expensive there are, £34.99 from Halfords, but I need it. And all is good now.
IMG_20170217_125725.jpg

U

User19783

[QUOTE 4686645, member: 9609"]If it is not worn out and just stiff and a bit grumbly -
if it is similar to mine then there is a dust cap on each end, prise these off and force as much grease in as you can get in. that may ease it off and you can keep it as an emergency spare. they really are a very simple bearing[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip,:okay: didn't know that.
will have a go later, got nowt to loose.

U

User32269

Had a nice early finish from work. Decided to get my wifes BSO running, after a year of being dumped, rusting, in the garden. New wheels, rack, gear shifters, brake cables and lots of getting rust off for three hours! Needs new gear cables tomorrow, then it's good to go.
_20170217_175140.JPG

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
New inner tube fitted (outside Halfords front door) to the CX due to a double penetration visit by the p*ncture fairy, and a spare tube purchased to keep in the bike shed 'just in case'.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A quick re cable of front brake on the Dolan after changing the stem riser made the original to short

And a quick check over on the Bmc for 2moro am's ride fingers crossed

D

Deleted member 1258

This afternoon I gave the chain on my fixed a good clean then checked and oiled it, whilst I was at it I pulled the cranks took the bottom bracket out and looked at that as well. The chains in better nick than I thought it was, there's little wear on it, the bottom brackets a little bit rough but there's no play in it and it spins well, it could be the source of the roughness I can feel through the pedals sometimes. At some point I'll change the bottom bracket, the cog is worn as well so that will need changing as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom