What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
Boringly just routine maintainance on the commuter Mickled the chain and wiped everything over.Days are extending so will not be too long before the roadie comes out for work.

Rustybucket

Veteran
IMG_2010.JPG
Swapped some wheels and changed disc rotors over to my winter bike, new cassette and chain. All firsts for me and hopefully everything will be working next time I get a chance to go out on the bike!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My fettling today was replacing the thumb control on my Rose/Bosch ebike.

It's been acting up a bit recently, possibly not helped by me dropping the bike on ice last month.

The screws in the pic are ludicrously small and very fiddly to fit where they screw in under the main display.

Quite pleased to have managed the job.

The new control came with four screws, so I had eight to play with.

Just as well, as I dropped two never to be seen again.

The little red oblong is a gasket which is about the thickness of a thread of cotton.

Fortunately, the existing gasket stayed in place - I doubt I could have managed to replace it.

The fixing under the main display doesn't get a lot of weather, maybe a bit of dust, so reusing the gasket shouldn't be a problem.

P1000406.JPG

Tom B

Guru
Took the rear wheel from my commuter to the LBS for truing, collected a nice true wheel in exchange for a fiver. When collecting the LBS told me the bearings were a bit loose so were nipped up. That reminded me that they also sounded like a bag of gravel.

Got home and stripped out the bearings/axle discovering bad pitting on both the cone and cup on the non drive side. Having got to that stage decided to build to back up using a new axle bearings and cones, but in the full knowledge it wont last long. Also noted that at some point the bearing cap/cover on the hub has been chewed and bent.
Need to decide on a new wheel or a rebuild.

Oh and the tube of grease in the grease gun popped leaving me with red grease all over the kitchen table.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The usual clean after a very muddy commuting week.

As mentioned previously I'm very pleased with my home made mudflap but decided to do a little more experimentation so have made a longer version for the front which now practically touches the floor when stationary, a front facing flap to try and reduce the spray which blows back onto the headtube and one for the rear to see whether that is useful (the rear mudguard is a little shorter than I'd like).

On a test ride nothing rattles or catches so all good thus far.

wisdom

Guru
The usual clean after a very muddy commuting week.

As mentioned previously I'm very pleased with my home made mudflap but decided to do a little more experimentation so have made a longer version for the front which now practically touches the floor when stationary, a front facing flap to try and reduce the spray which blows back onto the headtube and one for the rear to see whether that is useful (the rear mudguard is a little shorter than I'd like).

On a test ride nothing rattles or catches so all good thus far.
Any pictures please.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wasn't going to inflict pictures on everyone but since you've asked ^_^:
View attachment 338645 View attachment 338646 View attachment 338647

They're a little rough & ready and may be replaced by improved versions later on if successful.

Mudguards need to be that long to work.

Very few factory ones are - another victory of form over function.

A tip which took me too long to work out is to keep the pedals level going through puddles - less water gets on your feet.

Top Bottom