What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Fitted a new bottom bracket, square taper, to my fixed this morning, no noises and I couldn't feel any play in it, it just felt rough through the pedals, when I got it out the left side bearing was knackered, lots of free play in it, I guess the cup was holding it in place.

gbb

Legendary Member
Quick ride on the old winter commuter this morning, back, busied myself on this and that then ...
Replaced the 8 speed commuters chain, wear was showing at 1%....ooer. Well, suck it and see, maybe ok.
Replaced the Trek hybrids chain, wear showing at 0.75%.
Flat tyre discovered on the trek, will play later, still a fair bit to do on that one, just tinkering when the fancy takes me.
Flat tyre also on the winter commuter, there's been a lot of hedge cutting on the route I used this morning...ditto, will have a play about later.

Tin Pot

Guru
Finally got some fettling done yesterday :smile:

Removed the cranks on my mates bike and replaced the bottom bracket - so easy it was untrue (with the right tools).

Reindexed my bike and unstuck the front derailleur.

New Swiss stop pads, first time using them.

A layer of white powder has coated the brake springs, and some other exposed metal that usually has a bit of rust on it...including some white patches on the rims and rear brake cable.

...I'm guessing this is pain cave sweat, as it does look like sweat salt.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Cleaned the Sirrus and changed the saddle, which then meant I had to refit the quick clip for the saddle bag. Before that I cleaned the Allez and changed the rear pads as the stock ones on it had turned to mush, front ones look fine so left them alone.

Gave 4 of the bikes in the stable a quick look over as they have been neglected a bit lately.

Mostly checking chain condition and cleaning but had to free up the adjuster on the rear mech on the Icarus and make sure it was ok after swapping the Sora chainset in but it's all ok now.

Planet X needs a good clean but it's been slinging it down here so will have to wait.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Helmet smelt a little rank so i gave the pads and straps a wash. I think its about time i get myself a new helmet again soon (R.I.P Atomos II)

::EDIT::

Helmet still ponged after leaving it in the sun for 2 hours so i bought it back and gave it a proper wash. Smells less rancid now. Still undecided on a Kask Mojito

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
We had a motorcycle in today, beleive it or not it had been in 5 different shops over 7 months and nobody could fix it.

Soon as I started it up it had all the hallmarks of fuel starvation (lean idle, bogging under load).

After investigating and fitting a fuel pressure guage we narrowed it down to fuel pump failure.

Stripped panels off and pulled out pump assembly, found a hose in the tank had failed so it was leaking pressurised fuel which should have been going to the injector!.

Replaced the in tank hose (with proper submersible pipe), rebuilt and roadtested.

Customer was over the moon, last shop had suggested an ECU replacement due to Throttle Position Failure (£600 part..).

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The usual clean and lubrication of a very mucky knockabout bike.

I've also made some alteration to the cockpit of the Raleigh ready for a new season of riding on it:
DSC0004373.jpg

When I set up the Dawes I really liked the bar end shifters I fitted but did find it a little confusing swapping between bikes as they turn the opposite way to the twist grips on the Raleigh.

Solving that issue by fitting Dura Ace shifters on the Raleigh too would be very nice but a little more than I'd like to spend to try out an idea, so I've taken a punt on some SunRace M90 thumb shifters which have quite a similar look but are a tad more affordable at £18 each.

First impressions are that they were quite easy to set up and that the solid build and positive shifting of them are just as I'd hoped. Space on the bar became a little tighter once they were fitted due to the different cable run so the bell has had to move onto the stem.

A test ride shows they'll take a little getting used to but I'm looking forward to racking up some miles.^_^

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I didn't so much Fettle as Un-Fettle.
We've had the old washing machine in the back garden for about a month waiting for a break in the weekend weather to scrap it. I wanted the drum out to make a garden burner and the glass window to make a small cloche. Plus we have to go out of the back garden, down a narrow path to get to the garages, to get washer in the car. And washers, with the concrete blocks, weigh to much for me and the Missus.
Stripped it down, took the concrete blocks off, the drum out then had to split that to get the stainless steel drum out. There was a massive build up of soap and calcium around the drive shaft. It's now in the garden hoping rain will help clean it before I build a brick stand and have our first fire.
I can't get the drive shaft off so does anyone have any pictures or links to what has been done by themselves or others?
It was a lot easier to carry round to car and easier to put into correct recycling skips.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I didn't so much Fettle as Un-Fettle.
We've had the old washing machine in the back garden for about a month waiting for a break in the weekend weather to scrap it. I wanted the drum out to make a garden burner and the glass window to make a small cloche. Plus we have to go out of the back garden, down a narrow path to get to the garages, to get washer in the car. And washers, with the concrete blocks, weigh to much for me and the Missus.
Stripped it down, took the concrete blocks off, the drum out then had to split that to get the stainless steel drum out. There was a massive build up of soap and calcium around the drive shaft. It's now in the garden hoping rain will help clean it before I build a brick stand and have our first fire.
I can't get the drive shaft off so does anyone have any pictures or links to what has been done by themselves or others?
It was a lot easier to carry round to car and easier to put into correct recycling skips.
Normally to get the pulley off the back you undo the locknut then unscrew the pulley (some have a woodruff key in a slot but not many) you can then reverse the pulley and screw it back on so that it forms a stand (btw they're only normal threads hence the 'locknut' on the end of the shaft)

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've got the pulley off. i'm left with the shaft that was attached to the pulley. There were 3 bolts that went through the drum to the tri-bladed frame. WIN_20170312_15_47_50_Pro.jpg I removed the bolts but it still doesn't want to come off. Could be the build of 15 years of soap and calcium.
The pulley was one of the bits that went to the skip.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just swapped the wheelset on the Ribble and whilst there i replaced the chain & rear cassette to a 30 - 12 unit so that should mean i can do all of my rides o the Ribble now with that gearing

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet more cleaning and lubricating on the Kona, Whyte, Van Nicholas, 13 & Boardman

Also got round to fitting a chain tensioner to the Boardman (which is now being run as a single speed), but I've had to fit a 16 tooth sprocket as I just couldn't get tjhe correct chain length to go with the 17 tooth I was running.

Top Bottom