What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've taken a temporary dislike to the Eastway I've been using all winter. The day before I was going to put it on sale it's thrown a big hissy fit - rear derailleur not working plus bottom bracket crunching:
  • New rear gear cable and Claris rear mech cleaned
It now needs a new bottom bracket, new chain, bar tape and possibly other parts. :cursing:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Mince pies baking :sweat: and eating :mrpig:
Just finished steak and potato pie.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I took my Trek 600 (1985) from the trainer, and greased wheels, BB, and headset (Hinault-Stronglight) and fitted a new speedometer to replace the original equipment one bought at the time of original sale. I swapped out some of my more tired tires as well, and I also shaved my head, and cooked steak and potato pie.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got the pulley off. i'm left with the shaft that was attached to the pulley. There were 3 bolts that went through the drum to the tri-bladed frame. View attachment 342092 I removed the bolts but it still doesn't want to come off. Could be the build of 15 years of soap and calcium.
The pulley was one of the bits that went to the skip.

View: https://youtu.be/Kg58qH0oeko

If you've binned the pulley I think you'll have to take an angle grinder to the shaft and then plonk it on bricks.

si_c

Guru
Swapped the axle over. Couldn't remove the freewheel in the end as I don't have the strength in my shoulder at the moment, so cleaned the bearing races, the bearings, and put the new axle in. Job done.

DCLane

Two of us started work on the newly arrived, and very battered, Columbus X-wing with a flat bar conversion. Half of me was toying with building a bike with a 36 rear cassette but I've been persuaded not to:
  • Wheels off and checked - all good :okay:
  • Square taper crankset off and very poor condition bottom bracket out.
  • Replacement (used) Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket in - can't remember where it came from :wacko:
  • Shimano Sora crankset fitted which should suit both of us as it's 170mm
  • Paint started - two coats of black Humbrol on the many, many chips and scrapes
Still to do:
  • White and then red paint
  • Add drop bars (thanks @rugbyleaguebiker for dropping the bars off - this is what it'll be on:smile:
  • Fit 10 speed shifters. Not sure whether they'll be Ultegra or Tiagra yet but I think it'll be Tiagra.
  • Change the rear derailleur to 10 speed. Front clamp-on Sora's staying, mainly because I can't be bothered finding a replacement
  • Find and fit a 10 speed 11-32 cassette
  • New 10 speed chain, cables and bar tape
It looks like this although the black paint's now been touched in and there's now a black crankset:

s-l1600-jpg.342261.jpg

We also did some work on his Giant TCR training bike as he may need to race on it in York on Saturday and he's using it for the Yorkshire roller racing championships rather than his Cervelo:
  • Training wheels fitted with a 16-25 U14's youth cassette
  • Crankset swapped for his Ultegra 48-34 set-up
I then set to work on my Principia RSLe - adjusting the headset and changing the front wheel. If the rumbling noise from the forks is gone then one of those two worked.

The Eastway however is in the doghouse until I have the patience to look at it again! New bottom bracket to fit, then possibly a rear derailleur, followed by bar tape if it all works properly. Only then can it go on sale :cursing:

si_c

Guru
Moved Violet (the purple pug) over to the turbo trainer permanently, put a vittoria trainer wheel on the back, new chain and cleaned thoroughly. Could probably do with a service of the rear wheel though, as it's a touch out of true, and I'm hoping that fixing that will reduce the noise from the trainer a bit.

gbb

Legendary Member
Wheels off, cassette off, freehub out and while thinking about a discussion the other day about preloaded adjusters on Fulcrums, I checked the method on mine and as I suspected, there doesn't appear to be any on earlier hubs, however tight you do the tube nuts, it doesn't appear to effect the bearings.
Cleaned evérything, several rags necessary, reassemble.
Chain removed using my home made quick link splitter..
20170319_174035.jpg

note the half round notches cut into a pair of circling pliers.
Chain checker shows less than .75 wear on most of the chain but occasionally drops in at odd points ,time to start looking for a new one.
Lubed with chainsaw oil, wiped and put away.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A post-winter service for the knockabout bike. Unfortunately I'd let the chain wear go a little too far so a new chain went on along with a SRAM cassette as a change to the usual cheap Shimanos.

Wheels and pedals serviced with new ball bearings as required. The click when riding that I mentioned in another thread seems to have been one of the pedal bearings as it had gone on the test ride. Having covered more than 10,000 miles the bottom bracket still runs perfectly smoothly and without any play so looks good for a while yet.

The middle chainring is past its best (has also done over 10,000 miles) and is a little noisy with the new chain but doesn't skip or suffer chainsuck so should last until the latest chain wears out. Also, the rear wheel rim is looking a bit concave after a hard winter (it was new in October) so I'll either need to replace it soon or swap it for the other new wheel that currently has spiked tyres on.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My fettle today was to fit a bar end mirror.

That's (slightly) more interesting than it sounds because the bike has Ergon grips with bar ends.

My previous bike had those, but there was no way to fit a bar end mirror because the bar ends of the grips covered the end of the handlebars and could not be removed separately.

The latest Biocork Ergons are designed in such a way to leave a hole in the end of the handlebars.

Pleased about that, I use a mirror all the time, and the large one fitted to the bike is a bit compromised due to its inboard position.

It will be coming off after a road test, but a minor irritation is the bracket is cast in one piece, so to remove it I shall have to remove the Rohloff shifter, the Ergon grip and, of course, the new mirror I've just fitted.

P1000428.JPG

DCLane

The Columbus X-wing is getting there with the paint touch-up finished. Just needs bar tape, cables, rear derailleur, chain, tyres and a cassette. Work is stalled until the cassette arrives so it's still reversible to flat bar just in case something comes up before next Tuesday's deadline:

DSCF4879_zpsbsustsfd.jpg

I then had 30 minutes spare to begin to build my Wilier Montegrappa frame bought last year:

DSCF4877_zpsk57dpnq4.jpg

The wheels are temporary! However, so far it's had:
  • New rear mech hanger plus square taper bottom bracket removed
  • Ultegra bottom bracket with Ultegra 6800 52/36 crankset and pedals from the square taper one fitted
  • Spesh Tarmac bars and Cinelli Dinamo stem pinched from my 12yo's bike
  • Ultegra 6700 shifters, front & rear derailleurs plus brakes
  • Seatpost and Bontrager Paradigm saddle
Cables in red, chain and bar tape to do. Once finished it'll be my summer 2017 and then winter 2017/18 bike to allow me to make a 'nice' purchase once fully well.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Cleaned the Cube -- First time ive touched it since the southend ride, bar tape has been restored. Noticed some corrosion on some of the brakes & fixings and rear caliper wasnt running so smoothly anymore so it has been removed completely for servicing but i got lazy and decided to go for a full Ultegra 6800 upgrade instead. The current brakes are Shimano BR-RS500's which arent bad at all.

Just waiting on new outer cables & the ultegra brake calipers to arrive.

For a bike that spends a majority of its time indoors or out in the dry it sure does corrode and rust quite quickly. Though i think i have myself to blame as i was riding it during some of the much colder winter months when roads had to be gritted.

With that said my Triban has been out in the wind, rain & gritted roads many a time and its more or less running perfectly fine.

Top Bottom