What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Gave the Pinnacle a good clean, chopped off another inch both sides of the bars.
Gave the Genesis a good clean too, noticed the back wheel was coming undone :eek: tightened the QR, then of course the brake was rubbing.
So looked up on how to adjust mechanical disk brakes, did it, now there is only a slight rub, if it persists I'm going to take it to the lbs, it's not even 6 months old.
Cleaned the ice bike too, as today it was snowing here, ice is forecast for the next couple of days.
Noticed the rear derailleur is bent a bit, straightened it some by hand :whistle: not going in the spokes, so all good.
Also fitted a quick link to the chain.
Noticed as well the rear wheel is a bit wobbly, may fix it tomorrow or may ride it like that for a commute ^_^

Will Spin

Über Member
Replaced the cassette on my Ribble 365. I replaced the chain recently but found that the gears were jumping when under load and according to my strava stats the cassette had done 5,000 miles, anyway that sorted the problem out. Also, yet more fiddling with the mudguards as I recently fitted 28mm tubeless tyres and trying to get clearance and a neat looking fit has proved to be a lengthy exercise, hope I've sorted it now. BTW I've done about 1200 miles on the tubeless tyres, a couple of flat tyre incidents, which I put down to learning curve problems but on the whole a better than tubed at this time of year.

RobinS

Veteran
Adjusted the height of the rear rack on my Revolution Country Explorer - after fitting new SKS Chromoplastic mudguards, giving greater clearance over the 38mm Marathons I found that there was not enough clearance to refit the rack mounted rear light - one adjustment always leads to another! (only another 4 weeks of fettling before departure on a 4 - 5 month trip)

clockworksimon

Über Member
A few fettles for my new Btwin Hoptown 300 single speed folding bike n+1 bargain.

Swapped cheapo 44t chainset for an old Sugino triple with just a 48t ring in place. Increased gearing from an inadequate 51 inches to much better 56 inches. Also improved the chain line.

Haven't had any joy sourcing a longer seat post. Even beyond the minimum insertion limit but with 10cm inserted I felt I needed another cm to feel right but wasn't happy to push limits any further. Decided to extend the bottom of the tube myself. Located an offcut of decent quality wooden pole of almost exactly the right diameter. Epoxy glued 6 inches into the lower part of the seatpost and allowed to set overnight. Next day built up the diameter of the protruding post using glass fibre filler. Filed down to fit the seat post exactly and used epoxy to even off where needed. Left for 24 hours to cure then tried it out properly. I now have about 9cm of the metal seatpost in the frame along with another 12cm of new extended post. This now extends for most of the length of the seat tube. Before the modification, without the seatclamp tightened, there was a bit of play in the seatpost fitting. Not any more. A bit Heath Robinson but thanks to having all the bits I needed, at no cost, I am now much happier about having plenty of seatpost in the frame and with saddle at optimal height. Am 100% happy with the overall strength of the modification although am aware that it has added a little more weight.

Just to finish things off, I also fitted some old bar ends.

Took for a test ride around town and to the shops. Overall am very happy with the bike now. Look forward to avoiding lots of car park charges and the stress of finding spaces in busy town centres when in a hurry.

Old Trek now converted to a 9-speed rear mech only flat bar 'beater' for work duties,will save riding the other halfs' heavy old Raleigh MTB.

Actually rides pretty nice although the gears are a bit iffy probably due to a 10 speed cassette,not worth faffing about changing it though will probably only be run in one or two gears only.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
After doing public penance for my knackered chain rings, I followed the advice of @dave r and others and bought a new set from Spa Cycles. They arrived this morning, and I fitted them this afternoon together with a new chain.
IMG_20170324_222559031.jpg

I took the opportunity to reduce the size, as I didn't use the biggest gears very often, and lower gears are always welcome on hills when you're getting old. :blush:
I've gone from 50-39-30 to 46-36-24. I also reduced the crank length from 170 mm to 160 (being a short-ar$e).

After repositioning the front mech, I had a brief test ride. All seems well. The lower gears don't make the hills feel much easier, but I can ride at a better cadence. The shorter cranks don't feel any different.

D

Deleted member 1258

A bit of a bike fettling evening today, the fixed got a clean polish and check over. The geared bike got taken out from the back of the shed where its stood for the winter and got a clean and a polish, it also got a new chain, after a year and 3000 miles the old one was knackered, it got its wheel bearings cleaned and greased, and whilst the chain was off I pulled the cranks and the bottom bracket got a clean and some fresh grease.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
Right, getting serious about finishing my Pace build. The frame has been hanging up a good year and I've been a naughty boy by neglecting it.

Soooooo, rubbed it down, 400, 600 and 800 grit ready for paint. Cleaned, and closely inspected for cracks or damage. Relieved to find there is none - its supposed to be a low mileage frame, and the signs are that it probably is.

New Ritchey headset ordered.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Rolled past the pawnshop on my way home from work, and did a double take at the bike rack in front. There was an old beaten Cannondale Delta V 1000, one of the first full suspension MTBs from 1992. I changed out tires and tubes, lubed things a bit, and got the shifters working again in preparation for a ride round the block to see how it fares. Quite the bike, finally a mountain bike I love. It needs a complete and total overhaul of the bottom bracket and rear suspension, and it will be trail ready. It came with a HUGE seatpost, as these bicycles came only in a 17" frame that year, one size fits all. It's fun to ride, and fun to fettle. A lot of innovative ideas incorporated into this bike. An air/oil shock in the headset, no independent fork mounted suspension, and a micro adjustable rear shock, as well as Cannondales' forerunner to the V-brake. Looks like a glutton for adventure, but I'm sure there is still a lot of life left in it as well.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Later that same evening....
Crankarms are now off, after a great and mighty struggle. The left crankarm, most stubborn of the two, gave way after I got out the grinder. In this case, the mere threat of a grinder caused the ubudgeable to indeed budge. I also patched a tube on the road, over at the marijuana dispensary, as they have a nice planter out front I could sit on and patch the tube at leisure, instead of at roadside. Now I have to order a special tool to remove the bottom bracket, but as I need it for three others eventually, maybe more in future, it will be a good investment.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Right, getting serious about finishing my Pace build. The frame has been hanging up a good year and I've been a naughty boy by neglecting it.

Soooooo, rubbed it down, 400, 600 and 800 grit ready for paint. Cleaned, and closely inspected for cracks or damage. Relieved to find there is none - its supposed to be a low mileage frame, and the signs are that it probably is.

New Ritchey headset ordered.
Will you be painting it yourself or having it done elsewhere?

Tom B

Guru
With the arrival of the warmer conditions I have taken the opportunity to tidy up a few bits.

Fitted a new chain as the old one had reached 1%. Did i mention that Shimano HG40 can be had for under £3 at Halfrauds.

I have shortened the outer on my rear gear cable after replacing the mech a month or so ago. This has improved the shifting massively taking out the squishyness that I had been unable to dial out. Noticed that the outers on both cables at the front are cracked and will require replacement soon.

Replaced the spoiler on the front mudguard hopefully keeping my toes drier.

Noticed a fluid leak on a brake lever which tallies with a loss of feeling in the brake, cleaned and tightened the union and bled and filled.
Still not convinced so ordered some olives and inserts.

Cleaned the oily bits, the frame is still filthy.

The shorter cranks don't feel any different.

It just goes to show how massively personal this stuff is. I have access to a couple of bikes that are pretty much the same except for crank length. I can tell a huge difference and feel constricted and like the bike with smaller cranks is too small for me. Im 5'9 with 31" inside leg.

Top Bottom