What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Repairs complete to the Cannondale, now on to new cables and consumables. I had to use a Dremel tool and a chainsaw sharpening stone to cut the remains of the bottom bracket cup away from the BB shell, I just stopped when I started seeing the very outlines of the threads . I then used an old BB cup with slots cut into it to chase the threads and remove the corrosion remains and any of the original cup left behind. I also removed the fixed cup via the 3/4 inch bolt method, although I had to use a four foot bar as a wrench extension. All properly greased and put back together until the sealed BB gets ordered. Upper body exercises done for the week.

wisdom

Guru
Sons bike"it's jumping gears" said he So the whole bike had a thorough clean relubed everything.Indexed the gears now smooth as silk....Except it won't go onto the big front chain ring.It's trying and the front mech is at full movement.I wonder if he's clouted it on something and it's gone out of alignment some how. (Any thoughts would be welcome please).Its a giant boulder MTB.running mid range shimano mechs.
My bike.Ridgeback supernova.Thorough clean and lube following a wet week commuting.Then new large chain ring kmc chain and back casette.Re Indexed now sweet as a nut.Pedals off stripped and greased thoroughly cleaned and the cleat clips adjusted and a drop of oil put on the moving bit's. All very satisfying although the deore chain ring and casette were pricey I cannot complain given the mileage I do.

Fitted Sora trigger shifters on to the Trek multitrack and connected(working as 7-speed) to the rear mech;can't connect the front as it's for a braze-on type so will get a band-on fitting when I take the bike to work on Tuesday but at least it's rideable.

Original triple chainset is still on as the double I want to fit will need a longer bb which again will be fitted on Tuesday as well as the front mech and the free hub on the rear.Will get the wheels trued as well.

bruce1530

Guru
Decided that I’d get to the bottom of an annoying rattle that has developed over recent weeks, which only appears on rough roads. Was pretty sure it was the front mudguard.

But it seemed secure. Took it off to be sure.

The rattle is still there.

Took off the back mudguard. Still rattling.

Removed saddlebag. Still rattling.

Started looking at more obscure stuff. Could it be the brake/gear cables hitting against the down tube? The water bottle?

Nope.

It was the pump.

clockworksimon

Über Member
Fitted some folding pedals from Decathlon. £9.99 and guaranteed for 2 years and make a real difference to folded size. Switched the chainset on the folding bike from a 48t to 52t which has increased the gearing from 56 inches to 61 inches. Took for 10 mile ride in the sunny weather to test it out and it now feels well fettled! My family is asking why I am going for proper rides on a noddy looking single speed folding bike? For some reason I am loving the freedom of riding in normal clothes and shoes instead of togging up for a ride on one of my proper bikes.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Fitted a new cable for the front derailleur today on the Cannondale, then washed it down after the great fettling sessions of the past week, as well as a general lack of care or maintenance for the past few years. Looks a bit better, but it's never going to be a great looking bicycle again in the near future, just a great running bicycle. At least for now. If I run across some period Cannondale transfers on E-Bay, I may go with some sort of camouflage look or maybe a tribute to dazzle painting or summat.

Tom B

Guru
After changing the chain a couple of days ago I decided to have a fiddle and find the annoying noise that was there whenever the chain moved. I'd sort of zoneed out of it, but I had noticed that people on paths heard me coming more than usual.

Found that I'd incorrectly threaded the RD and the chain was scraping on a pin on the cage between the jockeys.

I still can't believe I'd done it! - so just the 120 miles or so with it like that!

Tin Pot

Guru
Fiddled around looking for a clicking noise, seemed to be the right crank on part of the rear brake but very hard to see. Fiddled to get it clear, satisfied and of course the noise was still there!

I settled into a turbo session and it went away :rolleyes:

GuyBoden

Guru
In between cups of tea, I've re-greased the bearings on my Winter (wet weather) bike. (BB, Wheels, Headset, pedals)

Re-greased the wheels on my Summer (dry weather) bike, while it was a sunny day.....

Hopefully both, should be good for a while......... :okay:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I stuck some Swissstop on earlier before I went out. Felt much better.

I changed the rear pads a few weeks ago to Swissstop but left the front ones as the stock pads were still okay. Anyway stock ones are still on it, our lass grabbed me to chop some branches up when I went into the garden, by the time I was done I decided there was still some life left in the stock pads :whistle:

Top Bottom