What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru

I've got a bearing press I bought on ebay for around a fiver, works a treat. Consists of some heavy duty washers with a coating of felt on two of them, a length of threaded dowel and a couple of nuts to tighten up.

Fitted a couple of headsets using it now, works well, and with your temperature reduction trick I imagine would work even better.

Just put my good tyres and cassette on my good wheels, I had them on my old wheels for Flanders. At the same time I cleaned and lubed things. The cobbles have shooken loose an axle bolt on the old wheels and I'll have to sort that out in the morning :tired:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got a bearing press I bought on ebay for around a fiver, works a treat. Consists of some heavy duty washers with a coating of felt on two of them, a length of threaded dowel and a couple of nuts to tighten up.

Fitted a couple of headsets using it now, works well, and with your temperature reduction trick I imagine would work even better.
I think if it were likely that I would install several more headsets then I would buy a press, but it has taken me 50 years to do my first one so I don't think that I will bother! :okay:

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Somehow another neighbor has found out that I can repair bikes. :rolleyes:

Changed his front brake cable for him and got the front brake spot on. He tried it out "I never knew you could get brakes to be that good!" :blink::eek:

Went to do the rear but he didn't get a new noodle for the rear brake, I tried to clean out the old one but it was having none of it and the cable wouldn't go through. So that's got to wait until tomorrow, I'll dig one out of the spares bin.

Adjusted the gears. Told him it needs new cables, So if I've got some in the spares bin I'll just do those tomorrow too.

Went to adjust the saddle height to him, Got it to the perfect height. He insists on tightening it up :rolleyes: SNAP. The bolt snapped inside the clamp because he had over tightened it. So that's a clamp hell need and I know I don't have one in the spares bin, A trip to Halfords will be in order on Tuesday.

Cleaned the BSO and decided that now the wheels are buckled and rust is already appearing near the rear dropouts, I'll get as much use out of it as I can and strip it for parts for the spares bin. Picking up the new (to me) bike on Tuesday so lots of tinkering/fettling to be done then! ^_^:becool:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Fitted a new rear mech hanger to my youngest's cross bike after his crash on Tuesday. It's all working again :smile:

Fitted a new pair of Durano tyres on some old Shimano RS31's for my Principia commuter so I can keep the best wheels.

Also my storage space has been a mess: bike parts everywhere, wheels on top of each other/ on bikes, boxes all over the place and bikes squashed in wherever. I spent the afternoon pulling all the parts out, all of the wheels, all the bikes and the stands. The bikes are re-organised, wheels slotted and boxed properly, parts sorted and organised. Slowly, but surely they're all back in: I can now get another bike in plus all of the parts and wheels are properly sorted and accessible. Just a couple of boxes worth of stuff to sort. It does mean I've more parts to be sold / given away as well.

Last edited:
Decided to cut down the steerer on another bike, I had a retul 3 years ago which put me up right and suggested if anything the stem could go higher but I had a fit from an ex British pro a year and a half ago and he done the opposite. Slammed the stem which was close to my pre retul fit but I had left it just in case. I don't know why really, I've done thousand of miles like that and I'm perfectly comfortable, so it was for the chop.

At the same time I moved its cassette to another set of wheels after putting a tyre on the rear. (It had a turbo tyre)

Lol, the weekend of fettling continues. When I cut the stem down I took the front brake off but found it wasn't quite returning to centre and I needed to tighten the bolt quite a bit too stop it continuously rubbing. Got home and went to stick a spacer in the gap but noticed one of the pivots wasn't working correctly so cleaned and lubed it. It seems to be working fine now so I'll refit it after tea.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I need to shift some kit so have spent time working on the Peugeot and Corona I have spare, with the premise of concentrating on my main bikes.

Peugeot got cleaned, a new rear gear cable, new bar tape and the wheels tin-foiled although they're not great still:

s-l1600-jpg.347931.jpg

The Corona mtb turned into a pain. The front v-brake was like cheese and eventually the wheel went in. It was washed, cleaned, lubricated and should all now work:

s-l1600-jpg.347932.jpg

Both are now on eBay.

I also cleaned and coloured the roof on my Saab 9-3 convertible. It's now black rather than black with cat fur and moss. In for an MOT and a bit of paint tomorrow and then that'll be going on sale as well in preparation for something more appropriate to insure for a 17 year-old.

si_c

Guru
I need to shift some kit so have spent time working on the Peugeot and Corona I have spare, with the premise of concentrating on my main bikes.

Peugeot got cleaned, a new rear gear cable, new bar tape and the wheels tin-foiled although they're not great still:

View attachment 347934

The Corona mtb turned into a pain. The front v-brake was like cheese and eventually the wheel went in. It was washed, cleaned, lubricated and should all now work:

View attachment 347935

Both are now on eBay.

I also cleaned and coloured the roof on my Saab 9-3 convertible. It's now black rather than black with cat fur and moss. In for an MOT and a bit of paint tomorrow and then that'll be going on sale as well in preparation for something more appropriate to insure for a 17 year-old.
Pug looks lovely.

Lol, the weekend of fettling continues. When I cut the stem down I took the front brake off but found it wasn't quite returning to centre and I needed to tighten the bolt quite a bit too stop it continuously rubbing. Got home and went to stick a spacer in the gap but noticed one of the pivots wasn't working correctly so cleaned and lubed it. It seems to be working fine now so I'll refit it after tea.
Sorted for now and I re balanced the brake and relubed it now the left arm is springing back.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I swapped the spacers round on my singlespeed bike because the bars were slightly higher than they are on my best bike, which has a riding position which suits me. It was big spacer below the stem, small above; now small below, big above. I haven't ridden the modified ss bike yet but the position on it is now closer to the position on the other bike so it should be a subtle improvement.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Big Dummy now has a Surly 24 Pack rack fitted to the front fork.

It took a HELL of a lot of swearing and a touch of cold setting.

I lost the will to continue (i.e. it got too cold outside - open air garden workshop innit) before I could put the Porteur House bag on the rack.

Both bought from Practical Cycles since you ask.

Top Bottom