What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Got a cheap full susser as a project bike. It's the right size for me and was at a good price so I'll be tidying it up and riding it for a little bit.
18056213_137409496797738_4171196415920678183_o.jpg
Started with the front end, The forks were scratched, chipped and starting to rust in places. So took them off, Sanded them right down, A coat of primer, Wilko gloss black and some clear coat. Now looks like this.
17990324_137406980131323_1488942450587193781_o.jpg

Much better than what it was, Just need to install a new front brake cable (pack of cables from asda £4 waiting for it)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The best bike, Genesis Equilibrium 853 since you ask, has been cleaned (oh no, the shame, I put it away dirty and covered in mud after an enforced off road detour two years ago and I haven't ridden it since), it has had a new chain, black and green, natch, fitted, and I swapped the 110mm stem for a 90mm which had been on the to do list for too long. Off round the block to see how she rolls in a sec.

I blame @velovoice and that @Flying Dodo for coming round my house with shiny bikes in the car.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
Not a bike per se but it involved my bike tool kit: my shaver was running slowly, which normally means I have to take it apart and clean it - but I was in a rush, so applied some Park Tools CL-1 chain lube (with PTFE, no less). It made the shaver run much more quickly, but I do smell a bit like garage hand towel as a result. The after shave is masking it for now ...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I replaced all the cables on my bike (Sram Apex) last night. Not as difficult a job as I feared from the horror stories I looked up on the web. I still have to re-tape the bars and re-adjust the brakes and gears and get the cable tensions right, so it's not over yet.

si_c

Guru
Had constant rubbing on the front disc brake, had temporarily sorted it by not having the front wheel all the way into the drop out properly, but took the caliper off and reseated it properly yesterday after cleaning the bike from Saturday.

Now works much better (yay!) and is quieter (yay!) and doesn't rub anymore (yay!)!

RobinS

Veteran
Into "final fettling" before a four month tour today. Took the bikes out for a test run, and discovered that the new chain on MrsS's is slipping under pressure on the middle chain ring. LBS had a straight replacement, so that is fitted, but close inspection revealed the granny ring, while operational is pretty worn, so one of those is on order for tomorrow! (We depart on Thursday)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I bought (most of) a Specialized Hotrock 24 Street in November on eBay for 99p, for which I got the frame, forks, rear wheel, rear mech hanger and crank of this:

specialized_hotrock_street_24_rutland_cycling.jpg

To compliment ( :wacko: ) and for the bits I didn't get one of these came my way which is an awful piece of junk. The "I'll use lots of parts" has turned into "I'll use the front wheel":

$_1.JPG

So last night my 12yo and myself started a project to build a 24" wheeled single speed BMX / mountain bike. We still need to get the single speed hub conversion and a tensioner's en route but we:

- Fitted a seatpost and seatpost bracket along with a test saddle (blue but I want red/white to match the bike)
- The One23 bars and stem that came with his flat-bar conversion Columbus X-Wing got used here minus the shifters
- A front wheel from the above Dunlop
- V-brake bits from my parts box, with the main bits to finish needed

It's missing the headset top part so we'll have to sort that. In addition I need a hub conversion sorted and a slick 24" front tyre plus V-brakes doing properly.

The plan is to finish this for our holidays in August in France so he can ride round the holiday park in the Vendee on something other than his road bike.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The great cable replacement project continues. Doing twenty minutes here and there. Last night I adjusted the gears. As usual I tried to be scientific about it but eventually reverted to my normal "random twiddle" method. Eventually my random twiddling resulted in something that seemed to work.

I've noticed that for some reason I've routed the rear brake cable in a realy weird and wrong way round the headset so I need to sort that. No worries, I haven't done the pinch bolt on the brake up tight yet. Then it's new brake pads, adjust brakes, and re-tape bars.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Sanded my boring black Deda stem back to the bare alloy and polished it up. A few scratches are still showing so it'll be more 1200 grit wet'n'dry and steel wool before another rub down with Mothers metal polish. Brilliant stuff.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Got around to doing some work on my Raleigh, Removed the old chain and rear derailleur. Fitted new derailleur and somehow managed to succesfully change the gear cable on the POS gripshift shifter. Something which will be getting changed to thumb shifters for simplicity. Put the new chain on and wheeled it to the LBS. New freewheel fitted. Bought home and adjusted the gears. Replaced front and rear brake pads + cables and pumped up the tyres. Theyre in a really bad condition but cant afford to do them until Ive sold a bike I took in PX for my BSO shockwave MTB.

I did attempt to fit some mudguards Ive got but quickly found I dont have the correct size bolts. When the POS reebok bike sells Ill be getting some schwalbe city jets and a couple of pick n mix bags of nuts and bolts from wilko.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As usual, my post a day late.
I tried removing the Vantages old headset cups from the frame......no go. They are well and truly stuck. At least as far as using a big hammer and a big screwdriver to remove them they are anyway. So the rebuild is on hold till I can afford to drag it's arse over to a bike shop and have someone else do it.
The newly polished stem has been put on the raleigh. It looks nice. Still handles like it's stuck in a tramrail though. That didn't stop today's nice ride though ^_^

Top Bottom