What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Had a failure 4 miles into a loop...changed wheel once home and new tube.Have ended up with a 10 speed wheel for the time being..the zonda rear has lasted 3200 miles,not great.
20180422_093517.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Had a failure 4 miles into a loop...changed wheel once home and new tube.Have ended up with a 10 speed wheel for the time being..the zonda rear has lasted 3200 miles,not great. View attachment 405464
Is that the rim having puled away from the rest of the wheel?:ohmy:

I thought I would try out my new blue candy paint on a chromed steel bar . I degreased the bar and sprayed a couple of coats of aerosol etch primer on it. Once dry I sprayed a couple of coats of base silver. I mixed up some blue candy in my spray gun and sprayed a couple of coats on . The different colours on the bar are due to the number of coats applied. You can decide what shade by more or less coats. Once dry I sprayed 2 heavy coats of acrylic air dry
IMGP7291.JPG
IMGP7294.JPG
lacquer on .
Once the paint was dry and it was free of solvent smell I cooked it in the oven at 100 C. Once the oven was up to temperature I switched it off and allowed it to cool down.
The paint film was still a little bit soft so today I cooked it again but at 180 C in the same way . I have tested the paint finish and it is a lot harder and will not mark with my thumbnail. It will scratch with a screwdriver blade but so will most paint finishes. As the test piece is chromed steel which hasn't been rubbed down it will scratch down to the chrome .
The two pictures show the before and after cooking . The colour hasn't been affected and the finish is a lot harder than it would be if left to air dry.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My Eastway winter bike's back out of temporary non-use due to the sun last week. However a gear cable snapped (2nd of a batch of 5 to go within a ride) and work was needed anyway. So:

- New rear gear cable
- New Claris rear derailleur, which it needed as the existing one was rusty
- New chain

And all good as new.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Guru
I shortened the steered on my Roubaix this evening and dropped the stem down another 10mm. I'll see how it feels over the next few rides and decide whether or not it needs moving again :becool:

Before:

20180423_203249.jpg

After:

20180423_212852.jpg

And new cheapo carbon headset cap:

20180423_212900.jpg

I've got the week off work (ish) so should get some more tinkering done over the next few days - I've got an annoying creak on the charge commuter to investigate and a replacement XTR freehub body and cassette to put on the Kona :okay:

I did some flatting and polishing on my Raleigh Criterium today and whilst I was doing that I noticed a hole in my rear
IMGP7311.JPG
IMGP7315.JPG
tyre.

Attachments

• IMGP7301.JPG
    IMGP7301.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 35

bpsmith

Veteran
Built up an Emonda SLR 8 Race Shop Limited for someone. What a beautiful looking bike in Viper Red with the gloss DA groupset. Weighs very little but still feels strong. Very impressive.

si_c

Guru
New chain and cassette, I'd let the old chain wear too much, it went from less than .75 to more than 1.0 in a week in Feb when the roads were heavily gritted. So I just decided to let it wear into the ground with the cassette. New 12-25 on for commuting, should last a bit longer now the good weather is here.

Some play in the RD barrel adjuster so that may need replacing too - the derailleur that is.

JhnBssll

Guru
Today's fettle was planned to be a quick one; whip the back wheel off the Kona and swap the cassette and free hub body for these shiny XTR bits.

20180424_131306~2.jpg

Before I started stripping anything down I test fit the cassette on to the freehub body and encountered the first problem - I was missing a spacer. The cassette wouldn't tighten even with the lock ring fully tight, there was a clear gap visible...

20180424_132005.jpg

Annoying but not a problem a trip to the LBS later this afternoon wouldn't fix so onward and upwards... I whipped the old cassette off (along with the skin from 3 knuckles) and immediately encountered problem two - the previous owner of these wheels clearly hadn't adjusted his limit screws correctly :ohmy::thumbsdown:

20180424_134044.jpg

The worst of the spokes was less than half of its original diameter where it had been mangled by the chain. All 8 outer drive side spokes needed replacing :rolleyes:

LBS sorted me out with spacer and spokes so I whipped the old ones out and replaced them one at a time and test fit the spacer...

20180424_171818.jpg

20180424_171942.jpg

Unfortunately here I hit problem 3 - my cone spanners are knackered :laugh: So I've ordered some park tools ones on Amazon which will arrive tomorrow and allow me to finish this quick simple job :okay::laugh:

Top Bottom