What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Swapping everything over from one bike to a bigger frame. Waiting for my new brakes to be delivered to complete the task. Raining outside.

JhnBssll

Guru
Continued my fettling today - did it get finished? Did it :cursing: :laugh:

So anyway, the cone spanners arrived this morning so I whipped the axle out. The bearings were running quite smoothly but I had a quick look at them anyway. I quickly wished I hadn't :laugh: non-drive side is all ok but drive side cup and cone are knackered, the cones are pitted :sad:

20180425_133058.jpg

Fortunately I was replacing the freehub anyway so just needed to source a drive side cone for a hub made 25 years ago... Eventually found a pair of cones and some loose ball bearings for the m900 XTR hub on eBay but paid more than I wanted to for them - still, if it means the hub runs for another 25 years it'll be worth it :okay: I still think the m900 XTR hubs are amongst the nicest and most robust about and it would be a shame to put them out of service :becool: I did manage to get the new freehub fitted and then cleaned the hub a bit so now I'm waiting again :laugh:

20180425_140331.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I really struggled riding home from today's group outing...using the 24-34 granny gear just to get up a 5% hill.
Weighed the bike when I got home......50lbs. The Fat lump!
Decided to strip the bike of everything that wasn't essential...rack, cameras, horn, computer etc. I stopped short of shaving the cables to save hundredths of grams. I've got her down to 36.8lbs. Not bad given she was 31lbs off the shelf. And I'll save another pound and a bit when the Voyagers go back on...the landcruisers are on atm. Pendle, tools and dyno setup are still there so I'm ok with that.

I put a new chain on the CGR, this morning
Also taking the opportunity to use petrol to scrub (with old toothbrush) the chain-rings & derailleurs
I've also bought new disc-pads, but the present incumbents will be okay for another couple of months, all being well

View attachment 403283 View attachment 403284

I might have to install the new pads sooner, rather than later
They're wearing unevenly, with a ridge at the mounting pin end, as they've not been in full contact with the disc
Thus, there's an annoying noise under braking, as they (rapidly) clip the edge of the disc, due to the wavy-ness

Ribble. CGR. 13.jpg

September, last year
Ribble. CGR. 17.JPG

GuyBoden

Guru
I still think the m900 XTR hubs are amongst the nicest and most robust about and it would be a shame to put them out of service :becool: I did manage to get the new freehub fitted and then cleaned the hub a bit so now I'm waiting again :laugh:

View attachment 405971

k7hub-3-stylessm.jpg

Uniglide to Hyperglide compatible transition hub. I've had those too......

A whole new hyperglide hub body swaps easily, with a 10mm allen key.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I was quite worried about how hard it was going to be to remove the fixed bottom bracket cup, and I needn't. I put the bolt with a stack of washers either side, and tightened the nut with an adjustable in on the outside and a socket on the inside. Once tight I thought I would give it a good push with the adjustable to make sure that the whole thing wouldn't slip, and the cup just turned, no need for long wrench or freeze spray.

Old bb out and new one in, all done in half an hour! Why was I fretting?

JhnBssll

Guru
A good bit of fettling today ^_^ I stripped the BB area of the commuter down and rid myself of the irritating creak :laugh: I don't know what it was, I just hit everything I could think of at once by stripping the chainset down completely, cleaning and regreasing then reassembling everything. It was probably just a pedal but I replaced the chain too and like to give everything a good clean when new drivetrain bits are going on :okay:

The Kona rear wheel is still in bits but I have fitted the new ball bearings, seals and cassette, just waiting for the new cones to drop through the letterbox then I can whip the axle back in :okay:

20180429_112422.jpg

20180429_112441.jpg
20180429_112736.jpg

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Guru
My new cones arrived today :becool: I didnt waste any time swapping them over and popping the axle back in ^_^

20180430_190603.jpg

20180430_210943~2.jpg

20180430_215451.jpg

Once in I discovered the new larger big ring meant the chain was now too short. Fortunately I'd stashed the few links I'd removed in my come-in-handy cupboard so popped an extra one in, readjusted the mech stops and re-indexed the gears :okay: Job done, finally!

While in the garage I popped my new Hope bar end plugs into the Roubaix bars and fitted the barfly mount to the Stumpjumper ready for an off-road play with the Karoo GPS when time allows ^_^

20180430_224755.jpg

20180430_224830.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
My new cones arrived today :becool: I didnt waste any time swapping them over and popping the axle back in ^_^

View attachment 406807

View attachment 406803

View attachment 406804

Once in I discovered the new larger big ring meant the chain was now too short. Fortunately I'd stashed the few links I'd removed in my come-in-handy cupboard so popped an extra one in, readjusted the mech stops and re-indexed the gears :okay: Job done, finally!

While in the garage I popped my new Hope bar end plugs into the Roubaix bars and fitted the barfly mount to the Stumpjumper ready for an off-road play with the Karoo GPS when time allows ^_^

View attachment 406805

View attachment 406806

Nice use of the tape.

Got the rear wheel off the MTB. It needed a bit of gentle taps with an irish spanner to get it out of the dropouts.

Turns out the play in the wheel was caused by things simply working themselves loose. Actually, quite a lot loose. :blush: Tightened everything up and no more wobble. :dance: Will equip myself with some cone spanners tomorrow and take things apart properly, clean and regrease etc.

C R

Guru
Got the rear wheel off the MTB. It needed a bit of gentle taps with an irish spanner to get it out of the dropouts.

Turns out the play in the wheel was caused by things simply working themselves loose. Actually, quite a lot loose. :blush: Tightened everything up and no more wobble. :dance: Will equip myself with some cone spanners tomorrow and take things apart properly, clean and regrease etc.

Nice, bike maintenance and repairs are fairly easy for the most part, once you know what you need to do.

Top Bottom