What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Today I fettled...my position on the bike.
I've felt for a long time that on the Vantage there was a little too much weight on my arms. Same issue continues with the Spa, so I had Shannon help out with some KOPS tuning.
The plumb line from kneecap to ball of foot is out by a mile. Slid the saddle forwards as far as it'll go and it's still slightly out. I'm of the opinion that the 175mm cranks are too long for a shortarse like me.
I also think I was hasty in chopping the steerer tube when I fitted everything but John at Spa said they'll sell me another set of their 26" wheel forks if I need them depite them not being advertised on the site.
This bike is costing a bloody fortune, but it'll be worth it in the end. I hope.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Cleaned grit and assorted filth off the beast following very wet ride the day before yesterday. Made a note to buy some mudguards when I can muster the enthusiasm for such a non-sexy purchase.

Moved saddle back 0.25" and tilted bars up a bit as I'm still working on getting my position right.

Forgot my rear light the other night in the pouring rain which was dumb. Found the light in the back of the 'bike cupboard' and it was knackered with gooey batteries inside it.

Toddled off to Evans and bought a new Cateye multi-mode thing that seems mega-bright and fitted it.

si_c

Guru
Shifting was pretty crappy on the way home from work today. Rode up to my Dad's and it got worse, so got home and flushed the lower part of the cable housing with WD-40, and after running the gears up and down a couple of times I couldn't downshift on the rear.

Pulled the hoods back and the cable nipple had come out of place, so replaced the inner entirely and flushed out the shifter body. Easier said than done in the dark.

Re-indexed as well as I can do tonight, will probably need the tension checking tomorrow as I ride in, but it's shifting well out of the stand for now. Need new cable inners though fresh out.

bruce1530

Guru
On way home from Monday’s trip, things got worryingly noisy for the last mile.

Rear hub was incredibly rough. Replacement bearings (done by LBS) fixed that one.

Took the opportunity to service various things - chain off, cleaned it, cassette and jockey wheels. Took the crankset off, and even though it felt smooth when turning the pedals, I realised that the non-drive side of the bottom bracket felt notchy when turned by finger.

So I fitted new bottom bracket.

Put it all back together, it’s running like a swiss watch. For the moment.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
New 'get bill fitted on the bike properly' parts arrived today.
165mm Spa TD2 triple cranks fitted.
System EX 90mm x 25.4mm x 35* rise stem fitted.
Nitto 45cm Randonneur mod135 bars fitted.

A short ride shows less weight on my arms but a longer stretch as they're not compact bars... Need to work on that somehow. I need new bar tape now as I made a pigs arse of wrapping the old tape.

Temporarily lost the use of my granny ring as the cranks haven't bedded in yet.

20180720_170118.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A couple of weeks back I finally fettled the rusty patches around the BB of my nickel plated frame by painting it in bright orange enamel. Looks quite neat.

...and today I think I've fettled the blocked drain in the yard.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
New 'get bill fitted on the bike properly' parts arrived today.
165mm Spa TD2 triple cranks fitted.
System EX 90mm x 25.4mm x 35* rise stem fitted.
Nitto 45cm Randonneur mod135 bars fitted.

A short ride shows less weight on my arms but a longer stretch as they're not compact bars... Need to work on that somehow. I need new bar tape now as I made a pigs arse of wrapping the old tape.

Temporarily lost the use of my granny ring as the cranks haven't bedded in yet.

View attachment 420223
That’s a very nice and tidy looking bike. Slightly jealous now.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just realised then... It should be the big ring I can't shift too if the crank wasn't seated properly..therefor...the crank has gone on further than the old one and THAT'S why no granny ring.
Gonna have to tweak the front mech cable now aren't I. Feck.
It could be a slightly different taper in the new crank there are 2 standards, JIS and European also if the crank has gone on further I'd check that the crank bolt or nut has not 'bottomed out' on the end of the shaft before it has tightened the crank fully.

si_c

Guru
It could be a slightly different taper in the new crank there are 2 standards, JIS and European also if the crank has gone on further I'd check that the crank bolt or nut has not 'bottomed out' on the end of the shaft before it has tightened the crank fully.
Definitely worth checking this - however it could just be the required axle length is different - e.g. 118mm instead of 113.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

According to Spa...

"A similar crank to the classic XD-2 but with all five crank arms visible"

The XD2 is the one that just came off so I'm clueless atm. :wacko:
The bolts tightened gradually rather than stopping dead so I don't think bottoming out is a cause. There's maybe another half turn on them if I go mental on them but I've a history of stripping threads so not risking that one :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom