What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
:addict:

:giggle:

You mean you have *never* seen The Trouble With Tribbles"? :eek:

Here's what I did with them... Suppose it counts as fettling, as there was a jig saw, paint, cable ties and a fair bit of sewing involved... :blush:

View attachment 418801

I have *never * seen The Trouble With Tribbles.

Eta, seeing as It's from the original series I may have when I was young.

I have *never * seen The Trouble With Tribbles.

Eta, seeing as It's from the original series I may have when I was young.

It's got one of the funniest bar-brawl scenes ever... :laugh:

This is what I discovered when I did some fettling on a wheel yesterday . I wondered why the wheel jumped when it was spun .

Attachments

• IMGP8375 (1).JPG
    IMGP8375 (1).JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP8377 (1).JPG
    IMGP8377 (1).JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 35
D

Deleted member 1258

I've had intermittent problems with the front changer over the summer, once its on the outer ring it wont change onto the inner, it wont drop onto the inner chainring, every time I've thought I've got it sorted it comes back. Tonight I've changed the cables, both the outer and inner. Now whilst this something I'm familiar with on the old downtube shifters and friction its something I haven't done before on a modern integrated STI system, so its been a learning fettle tonight, and I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Salty seadog

I've had intermittent problems with the front changer over the summer, once its on the outer ring it wont change onto the inner, it wont drop onto the inner chainring, every time I've thought I've got it sorted it comes back. Tonight I've changed the cables, both the outer and inner. Now whilst this something I'm familiar with on the old downtube shifters and friction its something I haven't done before on a modern integrated STI system, so its been a learning fettle tonight, and I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I reckon that should do the trick, it worked for me a couple of months ago. Inner and outer had been on for 4 years changed them jobs a good'un.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Ok, just about to embark on a cassette and chain change and check the hanger alignment on the Montpellier. Oh, and check the tyres for debris, I went through a tunnel that had rather a lot of glass in it earlier.

D

Deleted member 1258

Thats a fettle fail. Damn! Damn! Damn! Its still sticking.

D

Deleted member 1258

Try this, put the chain on the big ring front and back, and then unhook the cable from the derailleur, it should move inwards and move the chain over as you turn the cranks. If it doesn't then it's a derailleur setup problem, so check the limit screws etc.

It worked a treat, released the cable and the changer moved smartly inward. What also appears to have worked a treat, in the kitchen at least, was putting the 50 tooth ring back on, :unsure: :scratch: :wacko: Bikes a 10 speed compact 34/50, but its not a chainring combination I get on with, I ran it for a long while as a a 42/50 but spent almost all the time on the 42. What I wanted to do this summer was run 42/48 and build up to running the 48 most of the time then put the 50 back on next summer and make more use of the 50, but shortly after I put the 48 on I ran into the shifting problem so it seems like it doesn't like the 48, which is strange as I've used it before without any problems. So I will see how it behaves on my next ride.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Cleaned up the old back wheel. Took the old cassette off. Cleaned it all up and reinstalled. Put the new Brooks saddle on. It's looking like a bike again now. Alas, it's now all the tricky stuff to do - trying to get the Shiftmate and new MTB derailleur to work with Shimano STI shifters, getting the brakes to work half decently, getting the right length chain to fit the new smaller front rings...

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
The need to see why I couldn't suddenly engage the big ring (cable had unraveled itself inside the outer) turned into a bit more.
I remembered that the lower gears on the cassette had begun to be a bit noisy. This meant I had to clean everything and of course, I had run out of citrus degreaser. White spirit isn't as good but got most of the rubbish off.
Discovered the locking ring on the cassette had worked loose so I'm guessing that was the problem. Enjoy whilst it is clean!
image.jpeg

Salty seadog

Bollocks, gave the rear mech a service, proper degrease, wash and dry, GT85 all over, lubed the pivot points. Serviced the bearings in the jockey wheels.

All good, double check hanger, all good.

Put mech and chain back on, fed the cable through the barrel adjuster, frayed the bugger. :cursing:

So having never done internal routed cables before I took it to the LBS. Few days wait, arse. So buy the inner and outer and the mechanic gave me a couple of straws. Tried to slip a straw over the cable to run it through the frame but just inside the guide is a smaller hole the straw won't fit. Ok maybe I'm in luck and it has permanent fixed straws. So took the bit of inner out from chainstay to BB.
Tried to thread it back through as practice. It'll go in one way but not come out the other and it won't even go in from the other.

I'm going to another lbs tomorrow for a red face bail out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom