What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Disentangled a considerable length of fine black nylon twine from my drivetrain. :blush:

How the hell that got in there, I shall never know - only noticed it when getting ready for this afternoon's bimble. :wacko: Must've picked it up on Saturday night at some point. And no, it's not off my clothing - I checked...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Disentangled a considerable length of fine black nylon twine from my drivetrain. :blush:

How the hell that got in there, I shall never know - only noticed it when getting ready for this afternoon's bimble. :wacko: Must've picked it up on Saturday night at some point. And no, it's not off my clothing - I checked...
Been near any rivers/lakes/canals lately, sounds like fishing line to me.

bpsmith

Veteran
Attempted to tag on a pile of miles to my commute today. After a long steep descent, with no warning signs at the top, they had closed the road for “emergency resurfacing”. The first I knew was when I got to the point at which I normally blast it to hit the hill at the bottom of the valley, where the truck was blocking the road!

After climbing for a mile at a 7.6% average, maxing at 15.4%, I got back to the road I should have stayed on.

Anyway, on arrival Home I noticed that the crappy bitumen that they spray, on for the loose gravel to stick to, was melting and had stuck to my tyres.

Full wash of the bike and most of it canenoff the tyres. Gave the new chain its first lube and sorted.

Just wondering if there are safe methods of getting a couple of spots off the tyres safely, without damaging the rubber tread? Or will it wear off in time?

There are no stones stuck, so not a major issue I guess.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Replacement tyres for Cube came in so i put them on. Couldnt seem to find any of the old Rubino Pro III as theyve been discontinued so I had to settle for the Pro G+ which seems to be its successor.

Noticed that the rear tyre on my triban keeps going flat so i striped that down and double checked to make sure there wasnt still a sharp peice of glass or something inside. It wasnt so long ago when i rode that bike and the tyre was completely flat! Everything seems ok. though earlier in the year i got a puncture while cycling through an industrial part of town in my local area and a big peice of glass went straight through and punctured the wheel.

Ive already replaced the innertube on this wheel 3 times already but it seems I might need to replace the entire tyre which im not too keen on as I havent really put any serious mileage on it (Conti 4 S)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I heard a bit of a clunking noise from the front of my singlespeed bike today. It sounded like a loose headset but the headset turned out to be properly adjusted and in good condition.

Further investigation revealed that the problem was the front wheel.

Take a look at these 2 photographs; specifically, the gap between the brake block and the rim as I pushed the tyre to the left and right.

Loose Khamsin hub #1.jpg

Loose Khamsin hub #2.jpg

There was more than 2 mm of movement in the rim.

I took the wheel off and discovered that the lock nut had come loose on one side. The hub has sealed bearings and they were okay. All I had to do was to correctly adjust the hub and tighten the locknut. (I had mislaid my cone spanners and tried to do it without them, which resulted in an over-tight hub and a wheel that would barely turn! After finding the spanners, it was easy to adjust things properly and lock them in place.)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Still getting a sore neck and sore arms I decided to dig out the ultra high rise stem that came free with the Raleigh frame but had never been used.
Took my bars off the current stem and took that stem off the bike. Stuck the high riser on and placed the bar in its spot to be clamped. Discovered the high riser is a 25.4 or 26mm stem and the bars are 31.8mm. AAARRGGHHHH!!!
No money left coz I've just bought a new rack. Doh!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I picked my Canyon CX up from a friends house this morning. He’s done a bit of fettling for me.
I decided to pop out for a post fettle ride and realised how rubbish the mechanical disc brakes were.
I’d got a set of Shimano gear and brake cables a few days ago, so though I’d have an evenings cable fettling.
New gear cables on the Defy2, as the rear cable was fraying under the BB, and working brakes on the CX now!

It’s now beer o’clock :cheers:

Top Bottom