What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Lizard skinned my Cervelo as well - not sure about the lumpy nature of the wrap, but that's probably just my utter ineptitude.

Now I just have to find out what is going 'click' with every peddle revolution...
If using SPD-SL shoes, have a listen to the shoe as you shake it back and fore in your hand. It’s a long short, but on my shoes there is a central threaded piece that slides centrally in a slot. Mine was loose and was gently sliding back and forth on every pedal stroke. I had searched the bike for everything possible and also regressed the clear bolts before finding this on second removal of the cleats. Likely not, but worth checking though.

If not that, try gently spraying the pedal with GT85 or similar. That was another issue I found in hot weather like this.

Then start looking for random things like the trailing gear cable from the front mech hitting your shoe when in the inner chainring like my mates was. :smile:

It might take you a while to track it down though...

IainC

5 yr lurker
If using SPD-SL shoes, have a listen to the shoe as you shake it back and fore in your hand. It’s a long short, but on my shoes there is a central threaded piece that slides centrally in a slot. Mine was loose and was gently sliding back and forth on every pedal stroke. I had searched the bike for everything possible and also regressed the clear bolts before finding this on second removal of the cleats. Likely not, but worth checking though.

If not that, try gently spraying the pedal with GT85 or similar. That was another issue I found in hot weather like this.

Then start looking for random things like the trailing gear cable from the front mech hitting your shoe when in the inner chainring like my mates was. :smile:

It might take you a while to track it down though...

I use Look style shoes and cleats, but a good idea. I think I may have tracked it down though (you can tell I've been busy today :rolleyes:) - one of the sticky labels on my Assioma powermeter pedals was unwrapping and I think catching my toe with each revolution. A ride tomorrow will tell...

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Fettled a couple days ago but hell, who's gonna notice? Made bigger mudflaps :smile:

20180703_225122.jpg

20180703_224627.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Haberdashery ... That's a word that you have never seen me post before! :okay:

Today's fettling was not one of my bikes, but my Endura baggy shorts. Several years ago (when my belly was several sizes larger than it is these days) the fastener on my shorts gave up under the strain. I have been relying on the belt and zip to hold the shorts closed and up since then.

Anyway, today I was walking past a(n?) haberdashery stall at Todmorden market and I spotted a kit which I could use to repair the shorts. £5.95 for 10 sets of 'snaps' so each use will cost less than 60p.

I set to work when I got in ...

The problem:
Shorts problem.jpg

The solution:
Shorts solution.jpg

Outer outer:
Shorts outside outer fastener.jpg

Inner outer:
Shorts inside outer fastener.jpg

Outer inner:
Shorts outside inner fastener.jpg

Inner inner:
Shorts inside inner fastener.jpg

S(h)orted!:
S(h)orted.jpg

:smile:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Haberdashery ... That's a word that you have never seen me post before! :okay:

Today's fettling was not one of my bikes, but my Endura baggy shorts. Several years ago (when my belly was several sizes larger than it is these days) the fastener on my shorts gave up under the strain. I have been relying on the belt and zip to hold the shorts closed and up since then.

Anyway, today I was walking past a(n?) haberdashery stall at Todmorden market and I spotted a kit which I could use to repair the shorts. £5.95 for 10 sets of 'snaps' so each use will cost less than 60p.

I set to work when I got in ...

The problem:
View attachment 417723
The solution:
View attachment 417724
Outer outer:
View attachment 417722
Inner outer: View attachment 417720
Outer inner:
View attachment 417721
Inner inner:
View attachment 417719
S(h)orted!:
View attachment 417718
:smile:
That's a new one for me, sewing with a hammer......:okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's a new one for me, sewing with a hammer......:okay:
As you can see, I did manage to put a small scratch on the front of the 'snap' (stud)!

It is a really nice little kit for doing that kind of repair. The tools are provided to fit the little parts and you just have to carefully tap them together. They had other snaps to be sewn in but I don't sew, and I can't see the advantage of sewing them in anyway when this method is so quick and effective.

Top Bottom