What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And then ... I noticed that the rear tyre had a worrying bulge in it. I wasn't going to risk riding on that tyre again so I took a photo of it and then put a replacement tyre on. (I'll finish off the dodgy tyre on my turbo trainer next winter.)

The tyre looked even worse in real life than it looks in this photo ...

View attachment 411965
Aaargh - now my Cannodale is doing it too! :eek:

Bulging worn tyre.jpg

That happened in one ride! I checked the tyre after the previous ride and it wasn't like that. Before anyone asks ... no - I hadn't locked up the wheel and skidded when braking!

That's what comes of trying to eke out a bit more life from a worn tyre. A pal had pointed out to me that it was on its last legs but I thought it had a few hundred miles of wear left. Fifty, more like!

I have a spare tyre handy so I'll put that on before my next ride. (I deflated the worn tyre to remind me to do it.)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Fitted a pair of 2016 Scbwalbe Land cruisers in 26x1.75" size. The mudguards had to be jiggled to cover and I've a bare minimum of clearance but I think it'll be ok.

Have just used the park tool chain cleaner that came from Amazon yesterday, an absolute breeze to use and really give the chain a clean , used the park tool degreaser supplied with the kit then fairy liquid and water and wiped with a clean cloth ,now drying in the sun before I lube with muc off wet chain lube

C R

Guru
Have just used the park tool chain cleaner that came from Amazon yesterday, an absolute breeze to use and really give the chain a clean , used the park tool degreaser supplied with the kit then fairy liquid and water and wiped with a clean cloth ,now drying in the sun before I lube with muc off wet chain lube

You may want to spray with some wd40 before oiling, otherwise there is no guarantee that all the water, and specially fairy liquid, has gone away.

bpsmith

Veteran
Why use fairy liquid after the degreaser?

As above, I would thoroughly wash out all the degreaser and dairy, before drying and lubing.

I used the soapp as advised by the park tool u tube video showing how to clean a chain with the cleaner

View: https://youtu.be/MuwS_nSevy4

alicat

Legendary Member
I fixed my Shimano STI gear levers. The smaller rear lever wasn't returning properly. I haven't ridden it much since coming off last Sept and scraping the lever on that side (as well as various body parts - ouch).

I noticed a small rubber bung on the smaller lever which was catching. I removed the bung, indexed the gears and all seems well again. Probably the easiest repair I have ever done. I am glad I took time to analyse the root cause. Perhaps I am starting to get the hang of this bike repairing malarkey. Happy days.

bpsmith

Veteran
I used the soapp as advised by the park tool u tube video showing how to clean a chain with the cleaner

View: https://youtu.be/MuwS_nSevy4

Interesting. I used to have a chain cleaner tool. Liked how simple they were to use. Didn’t like how the tool itself got gunned up after a few uses. Spent longer cleaning the tool than doing the chain by hand.

Was just asking about the fairy liquid, as I tend to just hose off the chain to get my degreaser off and then run through a clean rag. Gets it spotless every time in fairness.

Interesting. I used to have a chain cleaner tool. Liked how simple they were to use. Didn’t like how the tool itself got gunned up after a few uses. Spent longer cleaning the tool than doing the chain by hand.

Was just asking about the fairy liquid, as I tend to just hose off the chain to get my degreaser off and then run through a clean rag. Gets it spotless every time in fairness.

It’s not for the chain. It’s so your hands are left ‘fairy soft’. :girl:

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
My occasionally cracking BB had a good going over today after a 100km supportive as it was bugging me. FSA branded self extracting crank soon dispensed with and I think the issue is the BB bearing on the LHS. It feels rough to spin with fingers while the other is buttery smooth. Me thinks a new BB is required under warranty. Watch this space. Not convinced about the FSA stuff and might just swap the lot for an Ultegra BB and crank set.

Top Bottom