What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I know you don't want to spend anything on it, but if it keeps coming loose I'd ditch the old loose bearing thing for a UN55.

Thanks, that is a good idea. I might do just that. £13 odd quid is in my budget.

I finally got around to ordering a UN55. I had to make sure I got the BB width (68mm) and spindle width (119mm) correct. The part came yesterday. I am going to fit it on my daughter's bike tonight. It should save a lot of future faffing about with adjusting the cup-and-cone bearings. I will post a report tomorrow.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One thing to mention about obsessively testing bodge repairs/battery life/screen legibility of bicycle GPS devices is that it is very easy to forget to watch where you are going and ride straight off the road towards a dry stone wall ... :eek:

Fortunately, I looked up with milliseconds to spare, swerved back towards the road, and missed the wall by about 10 cms! :laugh:

One thing to mention about obsessively testing bodge repairs/battery life/screen legibility of bicycle GPS devices is that it is very easy to forget to watch where you are going and ride straight off the road towards a dry stone wall ... :eek:

Fortunately, I looked up with milliseconds to spare, swerved back towards the road, and missed the wall by about 10 cms! :laugh:

Ooopsss... :giggle:

fitted the recently bought crosstop levers today , way too hot to go for a ride to test them though

Attachments

• IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 46

KneesUp

Guru
[QUOTE 5292755, member: 43827"]Finished the renovation of my old Raleigh Mtrax 700, steel frame with titanium top and down tubes. A mix of mainly 90s components with newish Deore shifters.

It rides really well, but the old caliper brakes are rubbish (Dia Compe 981 cantis). I don't know whether it is just the old brake blocks needing changing, and pondering over whether to fit V-brakes instead.

I love the old 90s derailleurs and shifters, and have never had any compatibility issues with mix-n-match on rebuilds. Modern road derailleurs/shifters always seem to have compatibility niggles even between consecutive model changes.[/QUOTE]
I changed Suntour XCE cantis (1989) for Tektro CR720s and they were much better - I think largely because they were so much easier to set up and adjust.

I gave my old airbrush a strip down and clean . Once it was clean I tested it out by spraying some transparent red on to some areas that have been bleached on my Falcon frame . The red is a raspberry shade so I added a bit of blue to try to match it . Not quite enough ! Once dry I gave it a couple of coats of acrylic lacquer.

Attachments

• IMGP8310.JPG
    IMGP8310.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP8307.JPG
    IMGP8307.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP8308.JPG
    IMGP8308.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 53

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Took the SPD pedals off both bikes to strip & regrease the spindles.

Those on the Revolt came apart, had their new grease & reassembled perfectly.

One of those on my TCR though, snapped the collar nut inside the body of the pedal when I tried to get it undone, so the collar which fits inside the Shimano tool just turned without unscrewing the spindle from the pedal body. To be fair I have had them for years & never stripped those ones. New pedals on order !

Un55 BB also on order to replace one which is squealing under load after just a year's use. Unusual :sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

Took the SPD pedals off both bikes to strip & regrease the spindles.

Those on the Revolt came apart, had their new grease & reassembled perfectly.

One of those on my TCR though, snapped the collar nut inside the body of the pedal when I tried to get it undone, so the collar which fits inside the Shimano tool just turned without unscrewing the spindle from the pedal body. To be fair I have had them for years & never stripped those ones. New pedals on order !

Un55 BB also on order to replace one which is squealing under load after just a year's use. Unusual :sad:

If it's any consolation I managed to wreck a pair of SPD pedals whilst giving them a clean, grease and adjust as well. I did one pedal with no problems, but with the other one the locknut on the cone had sized and freeing it wrecked the thread, Like you I ended up buying a new set of pedals.:sad::angry:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My wife struggled with her bike’s gripshifters during our ride at Carsington Water at the weekend so I ordered some cheap Shimano trigger shifters from Amazon (it’s a very cheap bike) and some handlebar grips. They arrived and I proceeded to fit them. They went on with no problem until I reconnected the cable to the front derailleur. Then I spent two hours trying to get the damn thing to work properly. Including wrecking the threads on the cable clasp bolt. Fortunately, I had a spare. Eventually, got it sorted but it needs testing under load. We’ll see how it goes....

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
If it's any consolation I managed to wreck a pair of SPD pedals whilst giving them a clean, grease and adjust as well. I did one pedal with no problems, but with the other one the locknut on the cone had sized and freeing it wrecked the thread, Like you I ended up buying a new set of pedals.:sad::angry:

Thanks - When I bought the tool, the bike shop chap said that everyone he knew just changed their pedals when they got a bit old or notchy. I've regreased the winter bike pedals annually for two years now so perhaps I am saving them from going into landfill sooner. The busted one still works- it's just unstrippable. Will probably keep them as spares.

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks - When I bought the tool, the bike shop chap said that everyone he knew just changed their pedals when they got a bit old or notchy. I've regreased the winter bike pedals annually for two years now so perhaps I am saving them from going into landfill sooner. The busted one still works- it's just unstrippable. Will probably keep them as spares.

I've always serviced my pedals, just this was a new one for me, the first time I've stripped a set of SPD pedals.

Stef 1

Stolen the front wheel from my wifes' bike whilst I wait for new bearings to arrive for my wheel. Fettled a stand from a three wheeled childs scooter to hold up wifes bike minus front wheel so her forks don't get bashed up.... it still rolls (kind of), stands on it's own (just) and is technically now a quad-cycle?!

Top Bottom