What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TigerT

Veteran
Today I set up the front derailleur on my old Secteur properly. It was working when I put the bike back together a couple of weeks ago but now is as smooth as the day I bought it.... Though more by luck than judgement.

Also attached some SPD-SL Pedals to practice with. I've always used SPDs in the past, due to limited mobility in my right foot that means I couldn't twist out. However that is improving since starting training earlier in the year and I can now get out of them. I think if I get the Blue cleats with less float, It'll be a bit easier on the right hand side. Not ready to put them on my main bike yet, but will give them a go on shorter rides. Early signs are good, I can pull on the upstroke a lot harder without coming unclipped.

Just need a cable end cap for the gear cable now and that is that bike fully up and running again.

C R

Guru
It worked a treat, released the cable and the changer moved smartly inward. What also appears to have worked a treat, in the kitchen at least, was putting the 50 tooth ring back on, :unsure: :scratch: :wacko: Bikes a 10 speed compact 34/50, but its not a chainring combination I get on with, I ran it for a long while as a a 42/50 but spent almost all the time on the 42. What I wanted to do this summer was run 42/48 and build up to running the 48 most of the time then put the 50 back on next summer and make more use of the 50, but shortly after I put the 48 on I ran into the shifting problem so it seems like it doesn't like the 48, which is strange as I've used it before without any problems. So I will see how it behaves on my next ride.
This is probably obvious and you have already done it, but did you lower the derailleur when using the 48 ring?

Salar

A fish out of water
Fitted a stem riser and Mary handlebars to my mtb / hybrid.

I also picked up this old BMX layback seatpost a while ago.

seatpost.jpg

Thinking of fitting it to simulate a crank forward style of riding by pushing the saddle back. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1258

Has it worked with the 48T before? Could it be that the 48T is just too small for the curvature of the outside of the cage?

Yes its worked before. It looks like I've got a problem somewhere, It didn't change 100% on my ride today, I've got the 50 tooth back on and whilst it works nearly all the time there were a couple of occasions when it didn't work and it took several attempts to drop it onto the small ring, I didn't appreciate having to climb a short sharp rise on the big ring.

I did quite a bit of fettling today on my Raleigh Granada. I finished cleaning and polishing a wheel and then replaced both tyres with some old tyres which I had that were in a better condition . I then trued up both wheels and replaced them with the ones I had used to test the bike out .
I went out for a 5 mile test run later and it went well apart from the seat post slid down a couple of times . I will post a picture of the novel idea that the previous owner came up with .

Conradm

Regular
Today I ha mostly bin...
swapping straight steel bars off the raleigh royal 531st hack bike for cinelli 11cm stem and 66 42cm bars. Fitted suntour vx front mech, changed 42single ring Shimano 600 chainset for double stronglight 100 with 42/30, finally found the old campag triomphe downtube levers and the underbb guide and got the front mech adjusted. New chain, swapped the fudged 7 cassette for a fudged 8 with 13,15,17,18,18,20,23,28 one (i wear out the 18s). New brake cables and outers. Bell on the stem. Wrapped bar tape. Realised I'd wanted the 64, 44cm bars so unwrapped bars, removed and swapped em, refitted levers and rewrapped tape. Proofhided and put saddle up a smidge. Put everything back in the shed. 31°C in the garden today. Too kippered to ride it.

Top Bottom