What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Guru
Fitted a chain catcher to the Bianchi this afternoon. I had to modify the aluminium mounting block slightly to fit the Di2 band-on adapter but it all went together nicely. I've got another one to fit to the Roubaix when it's back from the lbs :okay:

20180805_144138.jpg

The commuter already has a chain catcher so it got some nice blue cable crimps instead :laugh:

20180805_144121.jpg

bruce1530

Guru
Something not sounding right on the drivetrain today. I had fitted a new BB a couple of weeks ago, and also cleaned and lubed everything at the same time. it was running sweetly on the stand, but a strange noise when pedalling under load - on the downstroke, both sides.

I think it’s a worn chain - the gauge says it needs changed. That’s tomorrows job.

si_c

Guru
Something not sounding right on the drivetrain today. I had fitted a new BB a couple of weeks ago, and also cleaned and lubed everything at the same time. it was running sweetly on the stand, but a strange noise when pedalling under load - on the downstroke, both sides.

I think it’s a worn chain - the gauge says it needs changed. That’s tomorrows job.
Make sure you check the cassette.

bruce1530

Guru
The cassette looks fine. Having said that, the bike has done nearly 5000 miles, this’ll be the 3rd chain, and still on the original cassette. Maybe time to change it too.

si_c

Guru
The cassette looks fine. Having said that, the bike has done nearly 5000 miles, this’ll be the 3rd chain, and still on the original cassette. Maybe time to change it too.
If it's making noises or slipping now, then it's probably shot, might be ok, but be cautious about standing on the pedals until you are sure. DAMHIKT.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Yesterday. Due to my advancing years, I have been struggling on even small hills. I decided to put a bigger cassette on the Cannondale. So I have fitted a long cage and a 11 - 34 cassette. Its haa uuuuuuuge :eek:. I have an 11 - 32 on the Ribble and this would probably be fine. Anyhow its on, but I am having trouble indexing it. So it is still on the stand awaiting a further fettle.
Cassette.jpg

BikeStand.jpg

cake.jpg

Serge

Über Member
Yesterday. Due to my advancing years, I have been struggling on even small hills. I decided to put a bigger cassette on the Cannondale. So I have fitted a long cage and a 11 - 34 cassette. Its haa uuuuuuuge :eek:. I have an 11 - 32 on the Ribble and this would probably be fine. Anyhow its on, but I am having trouble indexing it. So it is still on the stand awaiting a further fettle.
View attachment 422909
View attachment 422910

View attachment 422912
The last photo shows proper fettling.

si_c

Guru

How far have you wound the B-screw in - you may need to put it all the way in for a 34t cassette. What problem are you having with the Indexing?

It took me a while to get my 11-36t cassette installed and working properly as getting the indexing right took me longer than usual - which I put down to it being slightly beyond the capacity of the RD. That being said I'm quite happy with a 11-32 for most hills.

Leaway2

Lycrist
How far have you wound the B-screw in - you may need to put it all the way in for a 34t cassette. What problem are you having with the Indexing?

It took me a while to get my 11-36t cassette installed and working properly as getting the indexing right took me longer than usual - which I put down to it being slightly beyond the capacity of the RD. That being said I'm quite happy with a 11-32 for most hills.
The lowest 2 gears wont index. Skipping 9. If I index these, the high end skips.
I have wound B in a little. I'll go further. Thanks Si.

si_c

Guru
The lowest 2 gears wont index. Skipping 9. If I index these, the high end skips.
I have wound B in a little. I'll go further. Thanks Si.

You need to wind it in sufficiently to get a gap with the chain, cassette and top jockey wheel. Spin the cranks after each adjustment to let the derailleur settle and then re-adjust if necessary.

If you get it right then you shouldn't need to adjust the indexing assuming that the sprocket positions on the freehub remain the same, but in practice I've found I needed to adjust by a 1/4 turn or so. Might be worth slackening the cable off and re-indexing from scratch if you're having problems getting it right, I find that often takes less time than trying to keep adjusting.

Top Bottom