What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I mentioned a little while ago about retensioning the back wheel on the Raleigh. That sorted out the odd noises which was the reason for doing it but it niggled me that I could have done better, so today I took the thing out again and completely detensioned it to start again.

A tiny drop of lubricant on each spoke nipple and taking my time with the retensioning seems to have been worthwhile as all the tensions are more even and it's all trued up very nicely. I'll take it for a test ride tomorrow if the weather stays dry.^_^

tom73

Guru
Tried to fit a dog fang just can’t get the bolt to engage with washer. Quick call into town found same longer bolts worked a treat. Just did not look right after a few more go’s to get it just right Still no joy. Removed it ready to fit another day.

Following on from the trip to LBS who as it turned out had been a bit too over keen on the tyre air. I did a bit of anti fettling. Now my fillings can rest easy again.

The front mech on my triple chainset on my Roberts seemed to be rubbing on the chain so decided to adjust it. Even though I knew the basics of what I needed to do I thought it wouldn't hurt to look on YouTube for some instructional videos.
After looking I found one that explained how to do it in the most simplistic terms so that suited me for sure.
Even though I should of known it years ago I learnt that once the rear mech limit screws had been set its down to getting the correct cable tension.
Now having done the Roberts the next one will be my triple shopping bike on which the chain drops from the largest to smallest chain ring missing out the middle one. Never too old to learn then !

JhnBssll

Veteran
Nice job. Is that a 4 pot brake?!

Cheers, I'm really pleased with how it's looking now ^_^ And yes, it is indeed a 4-pot brake :okay: Hope RX4 road calipers. I've just finished fitting another set of black ones on the Roubaix as it happens... Available in either SH or SR versions to suit the master cylinders of Shimano or SRAM hydraulic STI's respectively :okay: Mine are all Shimano variants and seem to be very good in the limited ~200miles I've ridden on them so far...

On that note, here is this evenings fettling; I got the Roubaix back from the LBS this afternoon along with a new Wheels Mfg. bottom bracket :okay: It went in really easily with a drop of grease on the threads and a drop of thread lock on each bearing seat :okay: With a little luck it should give me many miles of trouble free pedaling :laugh: I then whipped the chainset on (twice, the second time I remembered to put the BB bearing shields on :blush:) and torqued everything up. I then adjusted the new front mech and cabled both mechs up. Once I'd put the chain back on and indexed the gears I turned my attention to the bars - the STI's needed properly lining up and then the cables needed taping down and new bar tape fitting. I've gone from a bar tape virgin to a semi pro in about a month, this was about the 5th set of bars I've taped in as many weeks! Hopefully this attempt will stay intact for longer than the first few :blush::laugh: Anyway, with this all done I've now successfully swapped the groupsets between the 3 bikes - the Bianchi is now a Dura Ace / Ultegra mix, the Roubaix is now Ultegra and the Charge is now SRAM Rival 22 :becool: I need to find another project now :whistle:

Some photos of the finished Roubaix...

20180809_221523.jpg
20180809_221617.jpg
20180809_221642.jpg
20180809_223511.jpg

simonali

Guru
I have to do some at the weekend when I fit my new second hand 'bars. I want the stripey tape now! And shiny Hope brakes!!

JhnBssll

Veteran
I really like the red detailing on that bar tape.

@JhnBssll now you have done it just had a look they do it with a green stripe ;)

I have to do some at the weekend when I fit my new second hand 'bars. I want the stripey tape now! And shiny Hope brakes!!

I saw that on tredz a while back and was quite taken by it. Now I know what it looks like on a bike I'm very tempted!

Looks like we might be seeing lots of stripey handlebars in the near future then :laugh::becool:

Top Bottom