What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
I think it should hold better than the friction fit it had before.
Oh! And I missed a couple of times .
Not onto your fingers, I hope.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I repaired an aluminium seat post yesterday. The post had seized in a frame and I tried different ways to remove it and has ended up looking like this .
As it is the right size for another frame I thought I would put it back into use .
I filed the hole out a little bit to allow a piece of aluminium rod that I had to fit . Next I countersunk both sides and cut the rod so that it just protruded enough for me to rivet it over. I then placed one end of the rod and then started hammering .
I eventually filed the heads of the rivet flush. View attachment 422145 View attachment 422146

Serious fettling!

Globalti

Legendary Member
New Dura Ace chain for the best bike last night and I used the Shimano snap-off link for only the second time. I was a bit daunted by it at first but it's rapidly becoming my favourite way of joining a chain; the pin goes in tight most of the way but then just eases up perfectly as it reaches the right depth and the unwanted end snaps off easily.

Chainrings off, to clean properly behind the 'spider'
Cassette off, & jockey wheels cleaned

I've spend a fair bit of time on old railway lines, & sharp off-road climbs.
so they were a bit grubby/'gritty'

Ribble. CGR. 16.JPG

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Spent a few hours this evening re-running the hydraulic hoses and fitting the new hope calipers to the Roubaix. All piped up and bled now ready to drop back at the LBS tomorrow afternoon for the new BB to go in :okay: Once that's done it just needs new gear cables and the chainset and chain refitting and it's ready to roll ^_^ These RX4 calipers really look like they mean business :laugh: I ended up machining a recess in the original post mount adapters as the hope ones clashed with the frame at the back :rolleyes: They're now in the spares cupboard :laugh:

20180802_232024.jpg

20180802_232034.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wow, those CNC-machined Hope brakes have moved on a bit from the original Hope Minis:

29 & 30 October 011.jpg

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are you fitting that Roubaix with a BB30? Have you had a BB30 before? If not, I suggest you tell the LBS to smear bearing fit compound on the BB axle so as to prevent the thing from creaking as it flexes microscopically within the inner races. The compound needs to go on the axle at the drive side and inside the bearing inner race at the non-drive side so as to stand the best chance of not being wiped off as they insert the axle.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Are you fitting that Roubaix with a BB30? Have you had a BB30 before? If not, I suggest you tell the LBS to smear bearing fit compound on the BB axle so as to prevent the thing from creaking as it flexes microscopically within the inner races. The compound needs to go on the axle at the drive side and inside the bearing inner race at the non-drive side so as to stand the best chance of not being wiped off as they insert the axle.

It's getting one of these fitted: https://praxiscycles.com/bottom-brackets/conversion-bb/

I'm hoping fitting one of these instead of a standard BB30 avoids all the dreaded creaks :okay: I'll be fitting the chainset myself when it comes back to me and will make sure its lubed up first, thanks for the heads up :smile:

In other news my band on to braze on adapter arrived today so I've just finished fitting it. A very quick and instantly sweaty ride around the block suggests this is going to be a beast of a commuter now :becool: It seems to have maintained its easy going and rugged traits, gained a bit of speed and agility and lost a bit of weight, result! :laugh:

Before:

20180523_125941.jpg

After:

20180803_150542(0).jpg
20180803_150558.jpg

Really pleased with the result :okay: First real test should be Monday morning on my next commute :okay: I'll be interested to see what effect it has on my average speed and journey time, probably marginal at best :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Finally fettled my way out of a dilemma on my Audax bike. I run a rear dynamo light which is bolted to my rear rack. That’s about all the rack is used for apart from the very rare occasion I have panniers for light touring. Anything heavier I just use my tourer.

But I really struggled with a way to fit the light to my mudguard until today. It fits perfectly above the rear reflector to the mudguard stays.

That’s a whole 500g in weight saved. Happy days I can carry more bananas.

I don't think the weight of the rack will make much difference. I recently rode my fastest 200 in 12 months on my current bike with rack, mudguards, and wider tyres.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Wow, those CNC-machined Hope brakes have moved on a bit from the original Hope Minis:

View attachment 422301

Those Hope mini's are awesome... I had the original non-mini caliper in about 1995, before they released the sport version. Incredible brakes for the time :okay: These new fangled calipers are all machined out of a single billet, really impressive and as you would expect from Hope they're incredible brakes :becool: Well, I assume these ones are - I've got exactly the same in orange on the Bianchi and they're brilliant :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go round the Hope factory if you want to see some impressive CNC machines and tasty stuff lying around all over the place.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Another fettle this afternoon; my first venture in to tubeless tire replacement. Pretty simple all told, the 25mm Yksion i removed was pretty tight on the beads but i had expected that and was prepared with my chunky park tools tire levers :laugh: The new 28mm Yksion I fitted seemed ever so slightly looser on the bead but i may have been imagining that :tongue: I bought an airshot inflater on sale some time ago so the tire sealed and inflated first time with no issues. Deflated again, valve core out, sealant in, reinflated. A quick spin round the block and all seems fine - its at 60psi now so we'll see where it's at tomorrow :becool:

A few more images of the plugged holes in the old tire, the reason I swapped it out...

20180803_164120~2.jpg
20180803_164139.jpg
20180803_164150.jpg
20180803_164201.jpg

Top Bottom