What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
After my comedy clipless moment in Goole on Friday night/Saturday morning my Zefal mirror needed a spot of UHU.
Put it in the workstand, turned the handlebars for better access and OMG. The headset bearings felt dreadful :wacko:
Two bearings from LBS for the sum of £10.00 a tube of water resistant grease for £5.00 and now silky smooth.

Thinking back to Friday night I thought the handling was a little off, I put it down to the extra weight of the rack bag and the wind, maybe the wonky feel was the steering.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Finally fettled my way out of a dilemma on my Audax bike. I run a rear dynamo light which is bolted to my rear rack. That’s about all the rack is used for apart from the very rare occasion I have panniers for light touring. Anything heavier I just use my tourer.

But I really struggled with a way to fit the light to my mudguard until today. It fits perfectly above the rear reflector to the mudguard stays.

That’s a whole 500g in weight saved. Happy days I can carry more bananas.
You could carry even more if you had a rack. :whistle:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Finally fettled my way out of a dilemma on my Audax bike. I run a rear dynamo light which is bolted to my rear rack. That’s about all the rack is used for apart from the very rare occasion I have panniers for light touring. Anything heavier I just use my tourer.

But I really struggled with a way to fit the light to my mudguard until today. It fits perfectly above the rear reflector to the mudguard stays.

That’s a whole 500g in weight saved. Happy days I can carry more bananas.

No pics of the bodge exquisitely crafted workaround?

JhnBssll

Veteran
More fettling tonight - replacement BB tools showed up so I whipped the original octolink one out and popped in the new FSA one. The chainset then slid in and lined up perfectly, job done

20180731_202710.jpg

Since the other components are still on the Roubaix frame at the LBS I couldn't go much further with the swap so decided to adjust the mudguards to fit the new wheel/tire combo with its smaller circumference. It looks a lot better now, can't wait to get the rest of it together, not least because I'm having drive to work at the moment :laugh:

20180731_202320.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's late so I did this yesterday...

... gave my new (March) bike a simple first service - more of a safety check really. Thorough clean & lube. Regreased TA's/pedals. Checked FD/RD settings/hanger alignment. Checked disc alignment & pad clearance/wear. Re-torqued all bolts. And then coated all bolts in ACF50.

Alan O

Über Member
Thats a fettle fail. Damn! Damn! Damn! Its still sticking.
Not sure this will be any help at all, but I have a triple that went through a period of not changing down to the smallest wheel. The limit screws were fine, and I suspected it was just wearing out and losing spring strength or something. But after repeated cycles of cleaning, heavy spraying with GT85/WD40, and lubing, it started working again - so I guess there was probably a bit of stubborn gunk in there somewhere that I couldn't see.

D

Deleted member 1258

Not sure this will be any help at all, but I have a triple that went through a period of not changing down to the smallest wheel. The limit screws were fine, and I suspected it was just wearing out and losing spring strength or something. But after repeated cycles of cleaning, heavy spraying with GT85/WD40, and lubing, it started working again - so I guess there was probably a bit of stubborn gunk in there somewhere that I couldn't see.

It looks like I have a faulty shifter, its been fettled and cleaned to within an inch of its life and its still sticking, I've changed both outer and inner cables and the front changer is OK.

D

Deleted member 1258

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNYgHuxBQ4

If you haven't already seen this, might be worth watching and seeing if it helps, sounds like the problem he was having is similar to what you have been experiencing. He couldn't get it working but if you're curious you might want to take it apart and see what you can find.

I've seen that one, I'll wait till I've got a replacement before I decide whether to take it apart or not.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Some more late night fettling this evening. Didn't get as much done as I'd hoped so there'll be another session tomorrow evening, not that I'm complaining :laugh:

I popped to the LBS at lunchtime to pick the Roubaix up - the new BB hasnt come in yet so I thought I'd grab it and strip the bits off and drop it back in on Friday for them to fit. Once stripped I swapped the hope jockey wheels in to the Ultegra mech and fitted it and bolted the ultegra front mech in. The Ultegra STI levers then went on loosely. I found a minor hitch with the brakes; the new Hope calipers clash with the SRAM post mount adapters :angry::laugh:
20180802_001340.jpg

Irritating but not the end of the world, I noticed just in time to order some new ones for next day delivery so hopefully they can go on tomorrow then get piped up and bled through. Other than that the Roubaix is still looking a little sorry for itself :laugh:

20180802_001209.jpg

Next I turned my attention to the commuter; with the bits stripped off the Roubaix I could have a fair crack at getting it back together again! It all went surprsingly smoothly, everything went together well, the only minor hiccup came when I remembered I hadn't ordered the braze-on to band-on adapter for the front mech :blush: Anyway I got the SRAM hydraulic disc brakes on and working as well as the rear mech and chain. I also managed to get the bars wrapped, I'm now literally just missing the front mech clamp and it's done and ready to roll :becool: I'm pretty annoyed I forgot it to be honest but there you go, I knew I'd forget something along the way :laugh: I had a very pleasant surprise when I weighed the (very nearly) finished bike; it was a rather hefty 14.8kg all up before I started and its now a slightly less hefty 12.4kg :okay: That and the narrower tires should really help the way it rides, I'm looking forward to trying it out even more now!

20180802_001025.jpg
20180802_001054.jpg
20180802_001129.jpg

Attachments

• 20180802_001151.jpg
    20180802_001151.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 31
I repaired an aluminium seat post yesterday. The post had seized in a frame and I tried different ways to remove it and has ended up looking like this .
As it is the right size for another frame I thought I would put it back into use .
I filed the hole out a little bit to allow a piece of aluminium rod that I had to fit . Next I countersunk both sides and cut the rod so that it just protruded enough for me to rivet it over. I then placed one end of the rod and then started hammering .
I eventually filed the heads of the rivet flush.
IMGP8508.JPG
IMGP8527.JPG

JhnBssll

Veteran
I repaired an aluminium seat post yesterday. The post had seized in a frame and I tried different ways to remove it and has ended up looking like this .
As it is the right size for another frame I thought I would put it back into use .
I filed the hole out a little bit to allow a piece of aluminium rod that I had to fit . Next I countersunk both sides and cut the rod so that it just protruded enough for me to rivet it over. I then placed one end of the rod and then started hammering .
I eventually filed the heads of the rivet flush. View attachment 422145 View attachment 422146

Lovely job :okay:

C R

Guru
I eventually filed the heads of the rivet flush. View attachment 422145 View attachment 422146

When I read that I started thinking of lump hammers and other beasts, then I saw the result, really nice work.

Top Bottom