What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Replaced brake cable outers and fitted some 30mm tyres to the road bike.

I wiped the chain, oiled it, pumped the tyres and put the AssSaver back on the bike I'm not sure if it's enough to count as fettling though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sorting out a restricted shower drain for my step daughter

IMG_20180729_110054889.jpg
IMG_20180729_110335008.jpg

She said that a bottle cap had gone down the plug hole .

JhnBssll

Veteran
I spent the afternoon stripping and cleaning the Bianchi after my adventures yesterday - quite therapeutic :smile: I started by whipping the wheels, chain and chainset off to give me good access for cleaning and inspecting the bottom bracket as it had been submerged a couple of times :laugh: I then gave the whole bike a thorough clean and degrease part by part before refitting it all and oiling the chain. Super shiny again now and we're back to silent running :becool:

20180729_152515.jpg
20180729_161337.jpg
20180729_161417.jpg

The bar tape had taken a hammering; partly due to being completely sodden and partly due to my poor wrapping no doubt :laugh:

20180729_161544.jpg

Fortunately I had some spare that I'd been waiting to fit so that went on a little while ago. This stuff isnt adhesive backed so we'll see how long it lasts :laugh:

20180729_201510.jpg
20180729_203341.jpg

I'm pretty please with the finish, I think it looks ace :okay:

All back together again:

20180729_203407.jpg

I decided to trim back the tubeless repair plugs to see how big the holes were, I'm a little surprised that they held as well as they did seeing one of the cuts was 5mm long :ohmy: Pretty impressive... I'd already made up my mind that I was throwing this tire away but this has certainly confirmed it :laugh:

20180729_194922.jpg
20180729_195052.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Finally fettled my way out of a dilemma on my Audax bike. I run a rear dynamo light which is bolted to my rear rack. That’s about all the rack is used for apart from the very rare occasion I have panniers for light touring. Anything heavier I just use my tourer.

But I really struggled with a way to fit the light to my mudguard until today. It fits perfectly above the rear reflector to the mudguard stays.

That’s a whole 500g in weight saved. Happy days I can carry more bananas.

I thought I would replace the torn vinyl cover on a saddle with a new piece of chamois leather today. As you can see I rushed it a bit, it's best not to mark out on the top surface before cutting. :blush:
The vinyl cover was secured on the bottom by metal toothed clips . In order for the clips to grab on to the leather I glued a strip of electrical wire between the leather before gluing it back on itself. It was all a bit suck it and see.
I let the contact adhesive dry before stretching it over the saddle and securing it by bending the clips back . Part of the rear edge I had to glue down on the inside .
I went out for a short test ride . It turned out to be a four mile ride as the saddle felt fine . It wasn't painful like the one I have been using . I don't know if I am imagining it but I think that the suede type feels much better . I don't seem to slide around as much as I do on vinyl saddles. I will give it a few more test rides to see if it and I survive . :whistle:
IMGP8415.JPG
IMGP8485.JPG
IMGP8484.JPG

JhnBssll

Veteran
New saddle arrived for the Kona today so I swapped it on this evening - much better :okay: Far more comfortable and looks the part too! I was a little suprised to find fi:zi:k written underneath the old one with a date stamp for October 1998; turns out the old scabby one is a retro classic so I couldn't bring myself to throw it away :laugh: Its now in the spares cupboard :rolleyes:

20180730_192525.jpg

I also took the opportunity to start converting my commuter; it's getting the 11 speed SRAM groupset off my Roubaix and my old winter wheels as a cheeky upgrade :laugh: I managed to strip all but the bottom bracket at which point I gave up as I appear to have lost my removal tool - new one ordered, should arrive tomorrow so I can carry on :okay: I did pop the new wheels on before putting it away, I think it's going to look great ^_^ Mudguards need adjusting :laugh:

20180730_204818.jpg

I also cleaned up all the old Claris bits; it's in pretty good condition for the ~1300 miles its done considering this bike probably gets the least TLC of the fleet and is left in a crowded communal bike shed most days :laugh: It's already got a new home, a colleague is giving me twenty quid for it :okay: Which will almost pay for the time I took removing and cleaning it :laugh:

20180730_212658.jpg

Top Bottom