What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I put a few parts on my birthday list and today got round to doing the fitting.

The main change is that I wanted to try some butterfly bars to improve the riding position as this bike is a bit too long in the top tube for me really.

I've also made changes to the drivetrain, going for 46-36-24 chainrings and an 8 speed 11-30 cassette which gives a range of 20" to 105".

Unfortunately there were complications. This frame was never intended to take an 8 speed so I had clearance issues. This was solved by adding a 0.5mm washer between the driveside wheel bearing cone and locknut which has sorted it neatly. I also needed to add a washer under the bolt for the gear hanger.

It's had some runs round the block to test and I'll probably do the proper shakedown ride tomorrow.

DSC0006917.jpg

New cockpit. I've deliberately finished the bar tape shorter on the left as I'm not sure if the bell will stay where it is or be moved onto that bit of the bar.

DSC0006919.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Prepped my 14yo's training bike for the Irish national youth championships this weekend for use as a back-up bike, fitting a 48/34 crankset with U14 cassette: https://www.entrycentral.com/event/102987 It'll then be ready for next weekend's BC North-west Tour, which he's also riding.

The race bike's all fine, so no fettling needed there.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Following yesterday's ride out with Mrs 73 :becool: time to finish cleaning the bike. This time up on the stand and cleaning the crap off the chain and gears I did think a total clean and lube was needed. But a good wipe down and they are working like silk once more. ( note to self don't but Allen keys away before you take down work stand :whistle:)

Now dare I clean the priced FX :unsure:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Rear Marathon+ taken off the Kinesis Racelight T2 and replaced with the front Marathon+. They have been on there since before 2011 (can't remember exactly when I put them on) and the one on the rear had become 'squared off' like some motorbike tyres end up. There was quite a bit of the blue puncture protection strip showing but remarkably few cuts. On the other hand, the front tyre has plenty of tread left but was speckled with cuts and lots of embedded flints and pieces of glass. I removed all those before putting it on the back wheel.

On the front is a new 28mm Conti Gatorskin. The old Marathon+ was easier to fit than the new Conti - didn't even need to do the toe strap trick.

Test ride was cut short at only 13 miles as it began chucking it down after 8 miles. Pleased to say that it feels a lot easier to ride and the low gear from the new cassette I fitted the other day performed well on some short but steep hills. It feels like a new bike.

Thanks, yeah it does look nice. It was recommended as a finishing touch by the LBS who ordered it in for me. A quick search shows its available from Tredz too https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pro-Sport-Control-Bar-Tape-with-Bar-End-Plugs-and-Fixing-Tape_91469.htm

Oopsss, I just might have to get some of that for Wiggy. :blush:

The original bar tape (white) is starting to look a mite tatty no matter how hard I try to keep it clean. But to choose between red, blue or white stripe... Decisions, decisions... :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

SD card in a Samsung Android phone, the music folder appeared to be corrupted, couldn't use it delete it or do anything else with it, backed up the other folders to my computer, reformated the card reinstalled the folders from the computer and installed a fresh copy of the music folder. Everything else is Working as it should just got to play some music and check out the music folder.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1258

SD card in a Samsung Android phone, the music folder appeared to be corrupted, couldn't use it delete it or do anything else with it, backed up the other folders to my computer, reformated the card reinstalled the folders from the computer and installed a fresh copy of the music folder. Everything else is Woking as it should just got to play some music and check out the music folder.

Music play's as it should, I'm sat here with a head full of The Holly's, first time I've hooked it up to my Bluetooth headphones.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Fitted my old '91 Raleigh Highlander gravel & woods knockabout machine with a Cateye Velo 7, the same as the one already on my Pioneer. The recently-rebuilt BB, parts salvaged from a dead BSO, had slackened off slightly so the bearings needed nipping up just a fraction. It would have been rude not to give it a proper test afterwards so I went out and did 20 miles, just to make sure it worked ok.

JhnBssll

Veteran
2 new tires fitted to the Kona. Until now I'd been riding on the pair that came with the second hand wheels. The previous owner obviously wasn't very mechanically savvy as not only was the front hub scrap but the brakes had been rubbing on the tires causing some wear and loose threads in places. They were good enough to make do with but now the rest of the bike is in good order it made sense to swap them out :okay:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I picked up the wife's 'new' bicycle today - the Raleigh Pioneer 140 I have mentioned previously.

20180819_112757.jpg

Once home I popped it on the work stand and took a look. As always I'll start with the negatives :laugh:

The front wheel is not round :laugh: No amount of tweaking with a spoke key is going to fix it, the rim is properly bent :rolleyes: It would have been nice to know that it needed a new wheel before bidding.

Fortunately there are some positives; the overall condition of the rest of the bike is great. It's clearly hardly ever been ridden, I'd be surprised if it's done 10 miles in its life :becool: I've given it a quick clean and it's gleaming :okay:

20180819_121156.jpg

I've found and purchased a pair of cheap new QR wheels; it needed a new front anyway so I figured for a small amount extra I could add the benefit of QR at both ends. It'll be me taking the wheels on and off so it's a worthwhile upgrade :laugh: Also ordered some cheap new tires and tubes. Once it all arrives I'll put it together, clean and lube the chain and it'll be as good as brand new for 70 quid all in ^_^

Attachments

• 20180819_122017.jpg
    20180819_122017.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom