What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I decided that I would make a more determined effort today to quieten down my singlespeed bike. I know that its freehub needs sorting out because that has enough friction in it to drive the cranks round if I unclip when the bike is moving! I had a go at it a few weeks back but the locknut is too tight and I broke my chain whip trying to undo it! I have a new whip now so I will have another go at that soon.

Meanwhile ... there was also another noise problem, which only manifested itself when I was pedalling. Considering how simple the singlespeed transmission is - just one chainring, one sprocket, a chain and a chain tensioner - it was surprisingly noisy. I thought that I had aligned the tensioner's jockey wheel correctly, but I had always adjusted it with the bike the right way up. It looked like it was in line with the chain and the sprocket. Today, however, I turned the bike over to get a closer look at the chain run - it was slightly out so the jockey wheel was deflecting the chain slightly sideways between the sprocket and the chainring. When I adjusted it again I could see how subtle the adjustment needed to be. A couple of mm out either way and the noise was present. With the wheel exactly inline with the chain everything became much quieter. It is almost impossible to get that adjustment right without turning the bike over.

I just nipped out to the shops on the bike and for the first time, pedestrians were not hearing me coming as long as I continued pedalling. (They can when I freewheel, because of that noisy freehub.) It means that I now have a Kamikaze pedestrian problem, but I can alert them with the loud clicking from the freehub by freewheeling.

Back on the Scott now, how wonderfully light and sprightly! But a month of not being ridden, as well as stored mixed with the Claud Butler, has plainly put it in need of some fettling. Various little tweaks early on in the ride, but up on the stand tomorrow, when I will also fit the hanger extender.

new decals on the CX bike ^_^
IMG_1561.JPG

C R

Guru
Indexed the front derailleur after installing the new triple. Had to move the deraileur a bit to get all three rings to shift, but all seems to be working on the stand, will see tomorrow on the road, weather permitting. The chain may be a bit too long on the small ring, so the fettle may not be complete yet.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Finished off the Peugeot. Replaced:- BB ball bearings, wheel bearings, pedals stripped cleaned new bearings. Bar tape
PeugotR1SML.jpg

PeugotSimplexRSML.jpg

PeugotChainRingRSML.jpg

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just had the Roubaix on the stand for a quick strip and clean after yesterday's big ride. The bike was filthy and the chain had been stripped of lube by the rain so it needed some tlc :smile:

The front tire was flat from the puncture that ended the ride prematurely so I've stripped the tires and tubes from both wheels. Since this bike will mainly be used on longer rides and in wet weather it seemed sensible to change the GP4000s tires to the GP 4 Season alternatives. I'm also going from 25 to 28 in the process, I'll pop them on when they show up later in the week :okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've finally got rid of an annoying click from somewhere in the drivetrain. Been bothering me on and off for weeks. Ran smooth and silent today after oiling every conceivable moving part I could think of. So an equally annoying squeal started up in the front disc instead. There's always something. Sometimes it's like a never-ending game of Whack-a Mole, keeping the gremlins away.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I know what you mean... I noticed a squeak while out with the wife on Saturday - I had only finished building her bike a few days prior so I was perplexed to say the least. I was even more confused when I realised I could still hear the squeak when I was out on my own :laugh: Seems my commuter has developed a new noise, it's barely audible but now I know it's there it's going to drive me barmy :laugh:

Top Bottom