What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Fitted a new mini pump to the Roubaix, still wait in for the new cables but hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow. I've got an identical mini pump to fit to the Oltre when it comes back from the lbs with its new BB fitted

View attachment 427622

Next job is to strip and clean the Stumpjumper as it's filthy :laugh:

While I'm at it I might shorten some of the cables and hoses as they seem unnecessarily long :laugh:

Nice mini pump a carbon one ?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Fitted the cassette, rear mech, front mech and brake and gear cables on the wreck bike today but couldn't figure out why the chain was jumping on the middle ring. Closer inspection revealed my cockup.
:whistle:

20180830_214818.jpg

It's not the missing bolts! This was taken mid fix.

simonali

Guru
Finished off roadie wheels by fitting the cassette and then fitted them to the bike to see what it looked like. Shame I can't ride it like that because they don't turn. Gonna see if I can find anyone who can knock me up some shims for the disc rotors. If I have to buy 100 at a time so be it, I can sell some to other schmucks like myself who just assume stuff will work properly out of the box.

Then I fiddled with the shifting on the original wheels, as it wasn't going onto the biggest sprocket. Can't try the shifting on the new wheel yet until I can get to turn freely! I also decided that I need a workstand, as I was doing the shift adjustments by bending over and lifting the bike up with my neck under the saddle! New thread incoming.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Started the strip down of the Stumpjumper tonight; It was a bit muddy :laugh:

20180830_202501.jpg
20180830_202514.jpg

I spent a while cleaning the worst of the mud off then stripped the brakes off. I should have new Hope bits arriving tomorrow to fit :smile:

20180830_212612.jpg

I finished off by giving the XT bits a good clean ready to sell on, they're in almost as new condition so shouldn't be difficult to shift :okay:

20180830_213512.jpg

Tomorrow I'll give it a proper wash and dry, lube the chain and fit the new brakes and stem ready to get it all muddy again as soon as possible :okay: :laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I may be interested in the brakes if they are the correct mount for my old bike...

BR-M8000 calipers, BL-M8000 levers, 203mm front rotor 180mm rear rotor. All they need is a barb and olive for the rear hose as i had to cut the end off to thread it through the frame :laugh: Very good condition, they've done less than 50 miles. Make me an offer if you're interested - I've got them up for sale on my local club's Facebook page for £100 :smile:

20180830_213521.jpg
20180830_213616.jpg
20180830_213543.jpg
20180830_213534.jpg

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had the day off work today ^_^ Once I had weeded and spread some compost over the newly seeded front lawn I set to work finishing the Stumpjumper upgrades. First task was to fit the new stem. It's 10mm shorter and 0 degrees rise rather than the 6 degrees of the original so the front end is slightly shorter and lower.

20180831_132317.jpg

I removed the clamps from the shifter and dropper lever and fitted the Hope brackets that mount them directly to the brake levers. I then spent what seemed like hours fitting the brakes :laugh: I had to modify both post mount adapters to fit the larger hope calipers, including recessing both slightly to allow the pads to fully retract. Quite a lot of faff that could have been avoided by buying the hope adapters but I got them to fit regardless :laugh: I cut down both hoses and bled them through, I aim to bed them in tomorrow :becool: While I was fettling I cut down the dropper and shifter cables to neaten it all up and get rid of a couple of big loops of cable under the BB :okay: In all I guess I spent about 6 hours messing around in the garage today, bliss :laugh:

20180831_175720.jpg
20180831_175747.jpg
20180831_175825.jpg
20180831_175804.jpg
20180831_175709.jpg

I should point out I took those photos before I cut down the front brake hose and the two cables :laugh:

Serge

Über Member
I had the day off work today ^_^ Once I had weeded and spread some compost over the newly seeded front lawn I set to work finishing the Stumpjumper upgrades. First task was to fit the new stem. It's 10mm shorter and 0 degrees rise rather than the 6 degrees of the original so the front end is slightly shorter and lower.

View attachment 427803

I removed the clamps from the shifter and dropper lever and fitted the Hope brackets that mount them directly to the brake levers. I then spent what seemed like hours fitting the brakes :laugh: I had to modify both post mount adapters to fit the larger hope calipers, including recessing both slightly to allow the pads to fully retract. Quite a lot of faff that could have been avoided by buying the hope adapters but I got them to fit regardless :laugh: I cut down both hoses and bled them through, I aim to bed them in tomorrow :becool: While I was fettling I cut down the dropper and shifter cables to neaten it all up and get rid of a couple of big loops of cable under the BB :okay: In all I guess I spent about 6 hours messing around in the garage today, bliss :laugh:

View attachment 427810 View attachment 427811 View attachment 427812 View attachment 427813 View attachment 427814
I should point out I took those photos before I cut down the front brake hose and the two cables :laugh:
You do have some seriously cool looking bikes.

Top Bottom