What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice job. I'm thinking it could be tidier though - not a huge fan of the big zip tie. I think I'd have trimmed the mudguards back about a quarter inch or so on each side. I'd then take a large plastic milk bottle and trimmed a few sections and laminated them together with superglue for strength. You could then drill a hole through that so as to screw to the bridge.

You could then superglue the milk cartons to mudguards and use some nylon rivets to secure the fix. A bit more work perhaps and you'd probably need to take the mudguards off to do it. Plus you won't have zip ties moving around damaging the paintwork.
True, but it was a rush-job, before I nipped out earlier

I may trim a bit of 'carton' to slip on brake-bridge tonight

I may even have some white ties somewhere, that won't show as much

Leaway2

Lycrist
As some may know from another thread, (link) the tabs have been snapped off my Garmin. Apparently this is not unusual. So I purchased a repair "kit" by Raceware from Merlin cycles for £12 and a tube of super glue gel, £2. I received it this morning. Before I glued, I cleaned with isopropanol. Sanded to roughen the Garmin. Cleaned again. Here are the pictures 1 the part. 2 glued. 3 Glued and cleaned up.
GarminCompSml.jpg

I hope it holds OK on the way home.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
As some may know from another thread, (link) the tabs have been snapped off my Garmin. Apparently this is not unusual. So I purchased a repair "kit" by Raceware from Merlin cycles for £12 and a tube of super glue gel, £2. I received it this morning. Before I glued, I clean with isopropanol. Sanded to roughen the Garmin. Cleaned again. Here are the pictures 1 the part. 2 glued. 3 Glued and cleaned up.
View attachment 428630
Looks like a solid job.

I quite like one I saw a while ago to replace garmin tabs, it's an alloy replacement cap, that you glue on and then screw to secure - belt and braces kinda thing. Can't recall the name though, I'll have a look later when I'm at home.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Having problems fitting a Camelbak Podium bottle in the seatpost bottle cage I looked into getting a set of these but I only need one and the cost is a bit much for what they are, sooooooooo
I'm making my own. Alloy strip from amazon for 3 quid each.

20180905_204304.jpg

This ones the 'prototype' in case I balls it up. I'll start the proper one tomorrow.

si_c

Guru
Stripped off both front and rear brake calipers, cleaned off the chain stays and the bolts.

Fitted the new front caliper but the cable was a bit too short as the new Hy/Rd is a bigger unit than the Spyre. Fortunately I'd popped into the LBS today and picked up a new set of inners and outers.

Then cleaned the Spyre up, removed the rear caliper and put the new one in its place.

This time the cable was too long, so I trimmed it a bit and then fitted the Spyre. I had to remove the speed/cadence sensor from the left chainstay though as the routing is different for the cable. Not the end of the world though, I can fit a speed sensor to the wheel and the PM has cadence.

Finally I cleaned the rear rotor properly and refitted everything.

Needed to bed in the pads so rode up to my Dad's and then bedded them properly in on the ride down the hill home.

All in all took about an hour and a half as I was faffing a bit and it went dark.

Spoons47

Monday: Picked up a Wiggle road bike for my son for £90 quid, just had to replace inter tubes. Bought him some shorts for £7 at Halfords and ordered him his own tub of chamois cream plus pair of 25c Durano’s. he then helped me replace my disgustingly heavy suspension forks and replace them with second hand carbon ones from local bike mechanic.
I no longer have nightmares about inclines! In fact I spit on them lol.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
As some may know from another thread, (link) the tabs have been snapped off my Garmin. Apparently this is not unusual. So I purchased a repair "kit" by Raceware from Merlin cycles for £12 and a tube of super glue gel, £2. I received it this morning. Before I glued, I cleaned with isopropanol. Sanded to roughen the Garmin. Cleaned again. Here are the pictures 1 the part. 2 glued. 3 Glued and cleaned up.
View attachment 428630

must admit mine has lost 1 of the tabs and never knew repair kits were available so thanks @Leaway2

on the fettling front fitted a threadless bottom bracket this morning to my old Colnago

Someone (not me, honest guv) fettled an International Space Station, but the drill slipped.

Last edited:
Had an unfortunate gearing event on the way to work yesterday: went to change up to biggest chain ring and nothing happened.
Cable duly retensioned and adjusted, and I gave my hub preload a tweak while it was on the stand, I noticed a little bit of play on it t'other day

si_c

Guru
Riding through last winter meant that the freehub body on my main wheelset was ruined, so I replaced it in spring. But the cost of the freehub body was almost the same as the cost of a new hub, which I object to, especially as it should be totally user serviceable.

Fortunately, rather than throwing it out, I put the old one on a shelf, so I took it down today and ran it through the sonic cleaner. Loads of emulsion has come out, but when spinning the freehub body it sounds dry rather than rough. I could try pouring some wet lube through the unit like I did a couple of times over winter, but that clearly didn't work given the crap that has come out, so I tried to take it apart even further. I need a tool to get to the bearings though.

I've ordered something from China for £7 including postage which claims to do the job. If it works I'll pack the hub with grease and new bearings and see if it's any better.

Should save me money in the long run if it works.

Top Bottom