What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Lubed the chain and checked the new chainset, which is a lot noisier than the old one. The bolts are tight, so can't work out where the noise is coming from, unless the bottom bracket was defective from new.

Also been having trouble with the seat sliding down slowly. It turns out the nut was bottoming out, as the bolt is not threaded all the way, so added a few turns to the thradt with a die, hopefully the clamp is now tight enough.

Finally, replaced the battery in the sensor unit of my cycle computer, but still not working. It turns out it wasn't the battery, the head unit had lost connection to the sensor. All I needed to do was reconnect the two and all was good.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
  • Spring runs from March 1 to May 31;
  • Summer runs from June 1 to August 31;
  • Fall (autumn) runs from September 1 to November 30; and.
  • Winter runs from December 1 to February 28 (February29 in a leap year).
Guaranteed to rain in every single one for weeks at a time.
I run mudguards year round.

Fettling...
The bike was jet washed and polished yesterday.
I need to drill a hole in the bb shell for water to drain out as no doubt the bb will be swimming till I do it. I'll probly do that later today after my ride.

Johnno260

Veteran
Even on my summer .bike they don't come off.

Well I was lucky to get this Ribble for a great price, I have a bike on slicker tyres and it will be used in the dry, the Ribble will be used in the wet and the tyres have more thread etc.

I just need to find some decent wax/polish for it now, I have some for the Merida it's a matt paint finish, I will see if I can find the same polish/wax for a gloss finish as the water just beads off the paint work and makes cleaning it easier and the muck and grime finds it hard to stick to the paint.

Failing that a company near me will coat the bike for winter I just need to check the price.

si_c

Guru
Mudguards I hate them lol.

Edit: Excuse the washing in the background no wife so wanted to work near the coffee pot haha

That bike looks far, far, far too clean. Mine are always a filthy wreck.

The bike was jet washed and polished yesterday.
I need to drill a hole in the bb shell for water to drain out as no doubt the bb will be swimming till I do it. I'll probly do that later today after my ride.

Perhaps not, if you have a drain in the chainstays and they are open to the BB then you should be fine. All my bikes are setup that way.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't touched my bike, but this morning I carried out a kettle fettle!

The plastic kettle had a little filter in its spout, presumably to catch limescale if used in hard water areas. There was a plastic lip on the spout reaching down to the filter. I don't actually need a filter because I am in a soft water area so my kettle remains totally clean inside. Still, the filter was not doing any harm until it finally broke and started creating turbulent flow of the boiling water from the spout when pouring. If I were not careful, I got boiling water all over the worktop and potentially over me, so I took the filter out ....

The problem remained that if I tried pouring beyond a very slow rate, the water flow was interrupted by the plastic lip hanging down inside the spout. I kept forgetting and nearly scalding myself when the water sploshed everywhere. One more near miss today was enough for me so I whipped out a pair of stout scissors and lopped off the bottom half of the lip. The kettle now pours quickly and safely!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Perhaps not, if you have a drain in the chainstays and they are open to the BB then you should be fine. All my bikes are setup that way.

I checked. No luck. Had to drill.

Bottle cage adapter thingy was finished today and works a treat.

20180910_131802.jpg

20180910_132138.jpg

I can now get the Camelbak bottle in there :smile:

@JhnBssll sorry the pics took so long...I kept forgetting :blush:

20180910_132235.jpg
20180910_132253.jpg
20180910_132403.jpg 20180910_132425.jpg

si_c

Guru
Shifting on the back was like proper dog-sh!t today. Skipping and jumping side to side. The bottom bracket was making some awful grinding noises too.

First job was the BB (FSA MegaEvo) so I removed the crankset, then I flushed out the bearings on both sides as best I could. Let them dry out and repacked with a load of lithium grease, then put the seals back on and refitted the crankset.

Having done that I reset and reindexed the rear derailleur, checked the chain length and then put a new chain on as it was just at .75. Quick wipe down and all sorted, and a short test ride to the shops the BB is much much quieter, although still ticking a little. Might have to replace before winter kicks in properly.

Top Bottom